Average time to finish a chapter.

Horrorific

When I was writing, it took me like 2-3 hours to write 1000 words in a chapter. The time to edit the chapter also took way too much time, longer than it was supposed to be.

I wonder what's the average time for everyone to finish a single chapter and edit it based on your average words per chapter.

Ace_Arriande

Most people, from all the conversations I've had with my own readers and those on SH/RR Discord servers, will read a 1,000-word chapter in about 3-4 minutes at most. 3k-5k word chapters are usually finished in about 10-15 minutes at most.

Also worth considering: the average reading speed is about 300 words per minute, but this just a global average. Voracious readers who read a ton of web serials will read much, much faster. I know people who can read an entire 1k-word chapter while retaining all relevant information in under 1 minute.

It always kinda stings a little when something that takes 5 hours of work is completed by the readers in a few minutes, but that's just how it is.

EDIT: wait I completely misread the question. My bad. I'll leave that there for anybody who's curious though.

EDIT 2: To actually answer the main question, it takes me about 30 minutes per 1k words on average. My 3,000-word chapters take me 2 hours and my 5,000-word chapters take me 3 hours. The longer the chapter, the longer I'm in a good flow of writing for, so my writing speed goes up.

Nanakawaichan

Most people, from all the conversations I've had with my own readers and those on SH/RR Discord servers, will read a 1,000-word chapter in about 3-4 minutes at most. 3k-5k word chapters are usually finished in about 10-15 minutes at most.

Also worth considering: the average reading speed is about 300 words per minute, but this just a global average. Voracious readers who read a ton of web serials will read much, much faster. I know people who can read an entire 1k-word chapter while retaining all relevant information in under 1 minute.

It always kinda stings a little when something that takes 5 hours of work is completed by the readers in a few minutes, but that's just how it is.

EDIT: wait I completely misread the question. My bad. I'll leave that there for anybody who's curious though.

EDIT 2: To actually answer the main question, it takes me about 30 minutes per 1k words on average. My 3,000-word chapters take me 2 hours and my 5,000-word chapters take me 3 hours. The longer the chapter, the longer I'm in a good flow of writing for, so my writing speed goes up.
1k words in 30 minutes... 🤤

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
It takes me a week to finish a chapter of 5K words. Without Sundays because that's my day off. I kind of have to gain momentum, Mondays I write 500-700 words, Tuesdays 1K and so on. I could actually write them in three days, four with the editing, if I wrote from 3:00 p.m. to 9:00, but I distract myself a lot and start at 7:00 p.m.

I use the mornings to read my books about writing, so I assume my productivity will increase a lot once I finish them.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I usually take about 1h for each 1000 words when things are flowing well~

If I'm getting stuck or needing to research things in the middle of a chapter though, then it can take longer.

XianPiete

Bad Fiction Author
I write about 1500-2000 words per hour when I am inspired. If I can't find a reason to like what I am writing it gets shit canned and then I start all over from word one.

Horrorific

Why do I hear 'Running in the 80s' when I was reading this comment? 30 minutes per 1k words.:blob_blank:

Also, it seems like I got worried for nothing. Although my writing seems a bit slower than the rest, but its not bad actually. I dont know why I imagine all of the author here have a godspeed writing skills. I got my confidence back again. Woo :blob_party:

Ace_Arriande

Why do I hear 'Running in the 80s' when I was reading this comment? 30 minutes per 1k words.:blob_blank:

Also, it seems like I got worried for nothing. Although my writing seems a bit slower than the rest, but its not bad actually. I dont know why I imagine all of the author here have a godspeed writing skills. I got my confidence back again. Woo :blob_party:

More important than writing speed is writing at all. If you're managing to consistently write any story, you're already doing better than 99% of people who want to write. I also like to remind people of this. Many famous authors would take a whole day just to get down 500 - 1,000 words.

JayDirex

you guys are good!! current story I am writing is taking 1 week per chapter and average word count is 1958 per chapter as of today. THAT INCLUDES initial editing. because I will write say, 300 words per day on G-Docs, and then later on I will re-read it on the phone and start editing.

meh~

TowerGuy

About 1k words/hour for me. But one must account for mental exhaustion too.

I write 2k words on an average day, 4~6k words on a good day. 10k words when I'm really inspired.

DubstheDuke

When I was writing, it took me like 2-3 hours to write 1000 words in a chapter. The time to edit the chapter also took way too much time, longer than it was supposed to be.

I wonder what's the average time for everyone to finish a single chapter and edit it based on your average words per chapter.
For me personally, and I think this is in part to the fact that I plan a lot out beforehand, I often finish 3k word chapters in about 2-3 hours. I usually have a long term overarching story planned out, and as I write I fill in many of the details, and at other times the details fill in when I am just thinking about my story while not writing, but there are many times when I spend a long time thinking about a certain sentence or set of sentences, whereas other times I just sorta write what comes to my mind. My writing overall is not at an extremely high level, but there are little sparks here and there that are very good. I try to focus much more on the story, characters, development, and world building than the writing, but of course if it isn't written well, then it won't be a good story. Either way, I usually write and write and then I look at it later and change it if it's bad or doesn't make sense.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I usually go at bursts. I'll go around 1-3 days without writing and immediately put out around 1 - 2k before burning out again.

D

Deleted member 25179

If I'm burned out it takes upto an hour for 1k. If I'm not it usually takes about 20~30 minutes. (Sometimes it even ends up taking upto 600 minutes to complete a chapter like wut bro :s_frown:)

i think it's one chapter every three days?

most of the time was spent on the brainstorming though. it can be shorter or longer, depending on the inspiration i got.

since my chapters are on the short side, it doesn't really take too long. probably around a hour or two, along with edits.

Roseuwuowo

I can easily write around 2k word chapters every day, but I'm lazy.

WhoCares

Depends on what I'm writing and why I'm writing it. If it's a webserial I'm writing for fun? Maybe a few hours for 3k words, let's say 3 hours. Then another hour for proofreading and editing. If it's a short story or something I'm writing because I want the piece itself to be a well-written, respectable bit of writing? At least a full day of writing and two days of editing for the same 3k.