BL Reading Club! (M/m fiction) for Readers and Writers!

BL Events! Would you be interested in participating?

• Total voters

duelsharks

hi, new-ish to sh/f but not new to writing or bl (been around writing it in rpf for 4 yrs or so ). the contests and anthologies seem really interesting, but can i suggest have a organized system for finding editors/betas? having a list of them could help everyone who are in the bl community in general can help everyone improve their craft (esp because betas are not like editors, as they leave feedback where the author wants feedback). i am pretty good with google forms & excel and can be the organizer for this sub system if everyone like the idea.

Waterrain

I rarely ever go to the scribble hub form :sweating_profusely: did not find out until today I was summoned :blob_happy:

I do not know exactly what an anthology is...Competition event centered on BL sounds interesting.

I shipped Sora and Riku together ever since I played the first kingdom hearts game when I was still a kid (11) back in the year 2002. My thoughts were so very innocent and fluffy and cute and hand holding in regards to Sora & Riku, but then one day discovered a not so innocent BL fanfic. When I first discover BL manga was in the year 2006.

The first time I ever created a BL Fanfic was in the year 2007 (Completely ditched fanfiction.net and ran to ao3 starting from the year 2015) Almost all of my ao3 fanfics are Explict & Mature. Have 103 Fanfics there M/M 96, Multi 3 *All Are Male*, F/F 2, and F/M 1 (Rated T) well 2 out of 103 are orginal BL I created which was not popular at all there for ao3 not really focused on orginal novels. So on May 24, 2019 discovered Scribblehub
and decided this shall be home for my orignal BL novels :blob_party: Very soon after joining had posted my first chapter of my orginal BL Novel.

I love happy endings (Not a big fan of tragic endings thus I next to never create truly tragic endings for like it hurts too much). Issues I have with the BL Genre is a lot of novels have it where all or the vast majority of the ladies are Evil/Trying to break up BL Couple/Etc.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
I love happy endings (Not a big fan of tragic endings thus I next to never create truly tragic endings for like it hurts too much). Issues I have with the BL Genre is a lot of novels have it where all or the vast majority of the ladies are Evil/Trying to break up BL Couple/Etc.
Yes, another addition to the HE side. \o/

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I do not know exactly what an anthology is...
It's a collection of poems or (in this case) short stories centering around a particular idea/theme. The entries are traditionally by different authors, but you can make one all on your own, too.

For examples, see the Yuri Garden's first anthology, "9 Nights in the Garden of Lilies": https://www.scribblehub.com/series/140508/-nights-in-the-garden-of-lilies-a-yuri-garden-anthology/

Or this anthology of nonhuman x nonhuman GL here: https://dynasty-scans.com/anthologies/vanilla_nonhuman_x_nonhuman_yuri_anthology

Waterrain

It's a collection of poems or (in this case) short stories centering around a particular idea/theme. The entries are traditionally by different authors, but you can make one all on your own, too.

For examples, see the Yuri Garden's first anthology, "9 Nights in the Garden of Lilies": https://www.scribblehub.com/series/140508/-nights-in-the-garden-of-lilies-a-yuri-garden-anthology/

Or this anthology of nonhuman x nonhuman GL here: https://dynasty-scans.com/anthologies/vanilla_nonhuman_x_nonhuman_yuri_anthology
Thank you for information along with giving examples (I also enjoy GL) :blob_cookie: I understand it a lot better now.

Silverty

Thus, 1st question -- does an anthology or competition event centered on BL interest any of you?

2nd question, just to start a discussion or to get better acquainted with each other -- what is your BL-writer history? (Where did you first discover BL? How did you come to SH? What are your specific interests in the genre or issues that bother you?) :blob_aww:

\(*o*)/ love you all!
I just realized I never answered the questions, even though I did the poll...

Q1: Yes, I'm interested. (:

Q2: I just started writing BL, actually and Sanctuary is the first in the series (the original idea was a BG involving different characters and this was a side story... Top is the same but bottom was originally a girl... oh how my mind has rotted :blob_evil_two:) my first intro to BL was some shounen ai and yaoi manga I borrowed from my friend's roommate while I was crashing at their place before an Anime Manga Games event. I will forever remember my intro to the yaoi side because the next day a male friend walked in and picked up the uncensored yaoi manga and flipped through it. His screams of "Oh My God! Oh My God! Oh My God!!!" still ring in my ear until today :blob_uwu: my friend and her roommate who were sleep deprived (cosplay costume and uni assignment respectively) were not amused though... the lesson I learned that day was: when you see two beautiful men on the cover of a manga, treat with extreme caution XD

That's about it, I guess

Last edited:

MyLadyQueen

I just realized I never answered the questions, even though I did the poll...

Q1: Yes, I'm interested. (:

Q2: I just started writing BL, actually and Sanctuary is the first in the series (the original idea was a BG involving different characters and this was a side story... Top is the same but bottom was originally a girl... oh how my mind has rotted :blob_evil_two:) my first intro to BL was some shounen ai and yaoi manga I borrowed from my friend's roommate while I was crashing at their place before an Anime Manga Games event. I will forever remember my intro to the rotten side because the next day a male friend walked in and picked up the uncensored yaoi manga and flipped through it. His screams of "Oh My God! Oh My God! Oh My God!!!" still ring in my ear until today :blob_uwu: my friend and her roommate who were sleep deprived (cosplay costume and uni assignment respectively) were not amused though... the lesson I learned that day was, when you see two beautiful men on the cover of a manga, treat with extreme caution XD

That's about it, I guess
Why are you calling BL the rotten?

Silverty

Why are you calling BL the rotten?
It's from a Japanese term: Fujoshi (腐女子) and Fudanshi (腐男子) are rotten women and men because they ship BL. It's an acceptable term to those who read Japanese BL. So since I started with the Japanese ones, I'm a Fujo and proud of it.

Jolliapplegirl

Oh hey, I got included in this. How nice~

My BL history started with the Gravitation manga and grew from there. My recent obsession with Chinese BL either started with the Founder of demonic cultivation or Transmigrating into a Mob Character to Rehabilitate the Villain Plan. I honestly can't recall which. I've written over BL's but they are never to see the light of day until I rewrite them.

As for the anthology, I've never been good at writing short stories. They always end up expanding cause I just make things up as I go along but I'm willing to try just about anything once.

Pandoraeh

Hi!
It's been a long while since I've posted in a forum, haha. Anyway, I guess for question one, I'd be interested in an anthology work. It can be a lot of fun to collab with others and work on some short stories!

For question two, ha. I first discovered BL through yaoi manga back in like 2010. I didn't learn about BL novels until about a year ago when I got into reading translated web novels and stumbled upon Novel Update and the BL section. I found SH though NU and decided to try my hand at posting a long-form story. I RPed for many years before and have always half started stories anyway.

I wouldn't say I'm a BL writer. I like writing lgbt and poc characters since there were always so few in what I read and watched as a kid. As for my interests, I'm a sucker for mystery, fantasy, and horror. I also love writing supportive, healthy romantic, and platonic relationships.

My biggest issue with BL is the tendency for toxic relationships where one character is given the illusion of control but is continuously put down by their romantic partner, and it's framed as a good or natural thing. Also, how female characters are often cast as one-dimensional villains, one-dimensional side characters, or just not in the story at all.