Boomers sure are unhinged...

Agentt

Thighs
Dad: So, I was talking with your mother, and she is worried you are going to meet that kind of people in college, you know?

Me: Oh, I understand what you mean. Don't worry.

Dad: Oh? You do? Then tell me.

Me trying my best not to say communists: Uh, you know. They are people with some new ideas about how to run the country.

Dad: Oh, I didn't meant that, I was talking about-

Me: I GET WHAT YOU MEANT, NO NEED TO SAY IT!

Dad: But I am talking about *racial slur*, *racial slur*

Me: Shut up! I am trying to be delicate here! Yes, they are fecking communists! Are you happy now!?

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Communism is bad. Imagine making a powerful government that controls everything while the people who seek the seat of power in that government tend to also be the most corrupt.

Of course the corrupt never show their corruption until they have the power to be free from consequences.

Also by the conversation it seems you’re the one who became unhinged with the outburst at the end.

*pats*

Agentt

Thighs
Also by the conversation it seems you’re the one who became unhinged with the outburst at the end.
The reason for that is that the word communist has a very negative meaning here, it's almost synonymous to calling someone terrorist.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I'm ashamed that I also didn't see the point or the joke when I read it for the first time
Cause you're not a boomer.
The reason for that is that the word communist has a very negative meaning here, it's almost synonymous to calling someone terrorist.
Unfortunately communism only has a negative meaning here among people who know history or are intelligent... and those two qualities are in short supply where I live.

I wouldn't say "capitalism" is better. Modern Capitalism and Communism are practically the same to me because it puts corrupted people into positions of power.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
I don't see how your mother was unhinged. Sure you should always avoid racial slurs, but when you are trying to warn your kid of a danger that terrifies you, it's no time to dance around the subject by using euphemisms.
If I'm worried a friend of mine will be influenced by a jihadist cult and become a terrorist, that's what I am going to talk to him about, not "oh you know some people have strong feelings about their religion, but I don't think violence is the answer..."
Yes not all Islamic people are terrorist, but I'm just warning against those that are. And I'm not being unhinged by stating my fear clearly.
She didn't understand your tactful approach to singling out communist, so it's pretty clear why in this case using their actual name is better.

Agentt

Thighs
I don't see how your mother was unhinged. Sure you should always avoid racial slurs, but when you are trying to warn your kid of a danger that terrifies you, it's no time to dance around the subject by using euphemisms.
If I'm worried a friend of mine will be influenced by a jihadist cult and become a terrorist, that's what I am going to talk to him about, not "oh you know some people have strong feelings about their religion, but I don't think violence is the answer..."
Yes not all Islamic people are terrorist, but I'm just warning against those that are. And I'm not being unhinged by stating my fear clearly.
She didn't understand your tactful approach to singling out communist, so it's pretty clear why in this case using their actual name is better.
It's not obvious here, but my parents were implying that everyone in that area is a communist,

DiscoDream

Severe autist
Dad: So, I was talking with your mother, and she is worried you are going to meet that kind of people in college, you know?

Me: Oh, I understand what you mean. Don't worry.

Dad: Oh? You do? Then tell me.

Me trying my best not to say communists: Uh, you know. They are people with some new ideas about how to run the country.

Dad: Oh, I didn't meant that, I was talking about-

Me: I GET WHAT YOU MEANT, NO NEED TO SAY IT!

Dad: But I am talking about *racial slur*, *racial slur*

Me: Shut up! I am trying to be delicate here! Yes, they are fecking communists! Are you happy now!?
...I feel like something went over my head. Are a certain color of people known for being communist? I grew up in the south, where damn near everyone is some breed of it, so I don't really have the point of reference.

StrongArm

My family and I used to call each other racial slurs every day...

N**** do da dishes!

Come on ya W**-****s lets go to the river

Its stir-friday! Get in the kitchen and help me cook ya lil C*****

Ah, good times...

LAJistics

Is it gay, if it's with a futa?
The norms of that age. My mother is a Gen X. She's also slightly racist. Not so much that she dislikes any race, just heavily believes in the stereotypes of them. Hasn't changed in almost 50 years. I just give it a pass whenever I hear it.

Agentt

Thighs
...I feel like something went over my head. Are a certain color of people known for being communist? I grew up in the south, where damn near everyone is some breed of it, so I don't really have the point of reference.
Yes, the people of North and East are all known to be communists. North because there are many Islamic folks there, east because there are many farmers there.

StrongArm

Yes, the people of North and East are all known to be communists. North because there are many Islamic folks there, east because there are many farmers there.
Are you for real? Is this a joke that went over my head?

What country are you even talking about?