Can a war be noble?

Can a war be noble?

• yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

TotallyHuman

I read a chapter titled "noble war" in a novel on rrl. Got me thinking, can a war be noble?

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
In theory everything can happen for a noble cause, but war is inherently economic if it isn't racist. If you break it down there's only two reasons for war:

1. "We don't like you or what you did"
2. "You have something we want"

Anyway, the cause might be noble, the process is anything but.

Mythonian

A defensive war can be noble. For example, Ukraine defending itself from Russia.

Also, certain situations could be used to describe a war as noble. The Nazi concentration camps killing millions could easily be said to have given the other side a noble cause. Similar for the second half of the American Civil War, with the Union fighting in opposition to slavery.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Technically, isnt nobility supposed to collect tax and beat the shit out of people? War sounds like the noblest thing to me (only if you win tho)

Viator

Wandering Moon that conceals the tide
Depends on how you classify "war." If it's a personal war between someone and some great wrong, possibly. But the more people involved, the more money gets involved, inevitable corruption follows. War can almost never be totally noble, for it can be filled with singular ignoble acts, even with the greatest of ideals. However the overall goal of the war might be noble by itself.

NitroxDarks

A war for defending one's territory is noble, one can't really imagine the kind of power one's blood of one's earth can make even the sickest and less physically and mentally capable raise up.

LostLibrarian

No. War is never noble.
People might go to war for noble reasons. People might pick up the weapon and kill for noble reasons.
But war itself? No... not to me.