[Discussion] Your fictional materials

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
This kind of thread has already existed on Reddit at some time. Just want to bring it here on SH.

"What are some of your fictional material?" So Marvel comic has all sort of thing Adamantium, Vibranium, Carbonium, Uru. Warcraft has Arcanite. Warhammer 40k has Necrodermis, Adamantium. Just a nerd thread for people like-mind to share their creation.

I will start.

Other name: "Indestructible Material"

This metal rivals natural diamond in hardness and has a variant that is even stronger named Adamantissimum. While not as strong or hard as Orichalcum, a greatly enchanted Adamantine is dubbed "virtually indestructible" indicating they may even be stronger then Orichalcum if enchanted / reinforced enough.

Plantorsomething

Dragon steel. Magic comes from life, so when you process soulstone-a special type of coal/fossil fuel that still has magic from the souls of the life that formed it, and use it to create steel (since steel is carbon and iron from what I know) then you have dragon steel. It can be enchanted to store spells, or even just made to be a stronger material in general.
It is the only way to create magic metal, but there are multiple different alloys you can make from this process, like, idk, dragon tin? Dragon brass? I need to learn more about metals lol.

CheertheDead

Dragon steel. Magic comes from life, so when you process soulstone-a special type of coal/fossil fuel that still has magic from the souls of the life that formed it, and use it to create steel (since steel is carbon and iron from what I know) then you have dragon steel. It can be enchanted to store spells, or even just made to be a stronger material in general.
It is the only way to create magic metal, but there are multiple different alloys you can make from this process, like, idk, dragon tin? Dragon brass? I need to learn more about metals lol.
That’s new. :3 Thanks for sharing.

I think on my old notes I remember a few things

Void Metal: able to cut things from its origin. No one even know if it existed, it's just rumored that the metal was formed on the vast expanse's creation, and it exists somewhere in the deepest fold of space.

There's also something like Utopia and Doomsday metal.

Utopian metal was naturally formed when Damascus or whatever the holiest metal in the world resonated with an extreme positive atmosphere of the world.

While Doomsday metal was when the most cursed metal, Bloodstone, from the deepest hell, was subjected in the extreme negative atmosphere.

The raw metal itself, when taken out to other worlds, can influence them in that certain way. Even to the point of shifting their trajectory from the planes.

As for the details, I don't really remember since I'm not that heavy into world building.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I don't have a name for the material, but it's like a nasty gooey thing that constitutes the curse on my MC. It's inside her, and at one point they get it out, but it has like a homing feature and goes right back in.

That's in one of my drafted chapters, not typed or published yet.

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
I don't implant to my at the moment.

Synthetic/Natural Mana Crystals. Simply batteries of my world. Can be used to power engines, or light some areas, can even be used as some sort of EMP cause overdose of mana can cause someone to lose its powers temporarily, or die if that person is deeply connected with mana (basically mages) or to destroy magic barriers of course.

CheertheDead

I think on my old notes I remember a few things

Void Metal: able to cut things from its origin. No one even know if it existed, it's just rumored that the metal was formed on the vast expanse's creation, and it exists somewhere in the deepest fold of space.

There's also something like Utopia and Doomsday metal.

Utopian metal was naturally formed when Damascus or whatever the holiest metal in the world resonated with an extreme positive atmosphere of the world.

While Doomsday metal was when the most cursed metal, Bloodstone, from the deepest hell, was subjected in the extreme negative atmosphere.

The raw metal itself, when taken out to other worlds, can influence them in that certain way. Even to the point of shifting their trajectory from the planes.

As for the details, I don't really remember since I'm not that heavy into world building.
Hmm. I remember i created something similar a long time ago and then i forgot. Good to have someone like-mind remind me. 😕 Entirely forgot that u could create material that way.

Arcanite. A crystal that is the solidification of mana, usually found in gravesites of large magical creatures such as dragons, yetis, giant worms, gryphons and places where large amounts of magic used to be collected such as the chaos pit or the well of misery.

Are they similar to the mana stone or spirit stone from dungeon or cultivator world? Or are they used for something else instead of just being fuel?

Thankyou! Also, since they’re fossil fuels, magic energy is harnessed when burning them. So a whole different kind of global warming basically

Hmm. From the description, they seems to be physic-base but it seems like you want to make them hybrid, both supernatural and physic base.

I don't have a name for the material, but it's like a nasty gooey thing that constitutes the curse on my MC. It's inside her, and at one point they get it out, but it has like a homing feature and goes right back in.

That's in one of my drafted chapters, not typed or published yet.
😮 i wonder what it could do.

I don't implant to my at the moment.

Synthetic/Natural Mana Crystals. Simply batteries of my world. Can be used to power engines, or light some areas, can even be used as some sort of EMP cause overdose of mana can cause someone to lose its powers temporarily, or die if that person is deeply connected with mana (basically mages) or to destroy magic barriers of course.

It’s an interesting idea. 🤔 In some way, it’s similar to most of our fuel (coal, gasoline…) but in some way it is very selective only affect magic.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I don't find much use for custom-made materials for the most part.

Like... Pretty much the only fantasy materials I ever consider are Mithril and Adamantinum. Both of which are common enough to the point I expect the reader to already know of them... And even then, I don't think I have ever found a need to use them.

I mean, if you have a good reason to make use of a custom-made material though, go ahead and make one... I just can't find much that can't be done with standard fantasy staples.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Hmm. I remember i created something similar a long time ago and then i forgot. Good to have someone like-mind remind me. 😕 Entirely forgot that u could create material that way.

Are they similar to the mana stone or spirit stone from dungeon or cultivator world? Or are they used for something else instead of just being fuel?

Hmm. From the description, they seems to be physic-base but it seems like you want to make them hybrid, both supernatural and physic base.

😮 i wonder what it could do.

It’s an interesting idea. 🤔 In some way, it’s similar to most of our fuel (coal, gasoline…) but in some way it is very selective only affect magic.
Arcanites are used up if used as is but they don't disappear, they just turn into unusable form of magic which can be reabsorbed by magical creatures or concentrated in mana vortices. Crafted arcanites function as a form of battery and catalyst, consuming magic from the air and allowing the wielder to use magic associated with the arcanites.

For example, yellow arcanites if used raw will enhance the user's defense and speed for a short period of time, depending on its size. Crafted yellow arcanites are jewels that provide support magic that may have different spells carved into it, such as shield or speed up. If crafted, the yellow arcanite follows the rules set on the magic circuit, which is to draw magic from the surrounding to charge the jewel. As long as the jewel has a charge, magic can be used. It is also possible to sacrifice the jewel when there is no more charge, but that's very wasteful since arcanites are not that common in the first place.

Red radiates outward.
Yellow affects immediate surrounding.
Blue affects the elements.
Green affects nature.

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
I don't have any right now - but I've been thinking about it. A problem that comes to my mind is what the inhabitants of the said world will call such a material.

For example, Grandpa Tolkien calls Mithril as Silver-Steel or Moria-Silver (Third Age). It is made up of mith (Grey), as in Mithrandir (Grey Pilgrim), and ril (brilliance), as in Silmaril (Silima-brilliance). So, Mithril means Grey-Brilliance.

Now, we're not trying to be Tolkien, but I would assume civilizations would call something that is readily available with simple names such as Iron, and things are not available with names such as Tamahagane (Gem-steel).

It is also interesting to me that in Japan, where Iron was not readily available in vast quantities, it is called 黒金 [くろがね ] kurogane which has the root of GOLD in the name, giving it the meaning Black-Gold. The term Black-Gold in English was given to Oil. That gives us an understanding of how precious Iron works were in an island country. The name suggests that Gold was more readily known to people in Japan, and things other than that were named after it.

CheertheDead

I don't have any right now - but I've been thinking about it. A problem that comes to my mind is what the inhabitants of the said world will call such a material.

For example, Grandpa Tolkien calls Mithril as Silver-Steel or Moria-Silver (Third Age). It is made up of mith (Grey), as in Mithrandir (Grey Pilgrim), and ril (brilliance), as in Silmaril (Silima-brilliance). So, Mithril means Grey-Brilliance.

Now, we're not trying to be Tolkien, but I would assume civilizations would call something that is readily available with simple names such as Iron, and things are not available with names such as Tamahagane (Gem-steel).

It is also interesting to me that in Japan, where Iron was not readily available in vast quantities, it is called 黒金 [くろがね ] kurogane which has the root of GOLD in the name, giving it the meaning Black-Gold. The term Black-Gold in English was given to Oil. That gives us an understanding of how precious Iron works were in an island country. The name suggests that Gold was more readily known to people in Japan, and things other than that were named after it.

It also depends on the setting.

In one of my world, the material and the magic system are created by a wannabe god that just copies those thing from religion and fantasy from his old world. The inhabitants he created therefore call thing by the names he uses.

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
Completely fair in that sense. Not everything needs to be linguistic in development.
Pratchett has his Octarine deriving from something completely silly.

MajorKerina

Zandtium - an element involved in transit between parallel universes, named for a beloved teacher who encouraged my writing.

Memetic Crystaline - taken from a very vivid dream I had using that exact name but applied as a medical substance which can copy and replace nerve tissues as well as improving them. Characters who are basically androids as well as children who had damaged brains benefited from the use of the substance to repair the damage.