Do you sometimes think "this chapter would be easy" but then thing happened?

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
I was writing my story. I just finished the climax of the arc last chapter and thought the next one would be easy, since it is just wrapping thing up and preparing new setting.
Ho boy.
In the climax, in the heat of the battle, the actions were just instincts. You wrote it like you would in a real battle.
When the battle ended, the characters came back to their sense and assess the situation. They got a lot to say.

Their personalities made them worried about different thing and they got lots of discussion.
I couldn't make it as easy as the battle. At first, I thought just make it short but then it just doesn't feel right for this character and that character to not discuss this thing.
I don't want to make thing dramatic but then it just doesn't feel "right" if they don't have a blow out.

Scaver

I was writing my story. I just finished the climax of the arc last chapter and thought the next one would be easy, since it is just wrapping thing up and preparing new setting.
Ho boy.
In the climax, in the heat of the battle, the actions were just instincts. You wrote it like you would in a real battle.
When the battle ended, the characters came back to their sense and assess the situation. They got a lot to say.

Their personalities made them worried about different thing and they got lots of discussion.
I couldn't make it as easy as the battle. At first, I thought just make it short but then it just doesn't feel right for this character and that character to not discuss this thing.
I don't want to make thing dramatic but then it just doesn't feel "right" if they don't have a blow out.
That's me every chapter...

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I get this all the time. When I'm writing a scene that I've been planning since I can remember and the flow is just so nice as I write 3-4 times as much as as I normally would. Though sometimes I can't write anything because there is no start. There was a stop and now I have to introduce the next scene which will not come to me.

Agentt

Thighs
That's me every chapter...
I get this all the time. When I'm writing a scene that I've been planning since I can remember and the flow is just so nice as I write 3-4 times as much as as I normally would. Though sometimes I can't write anything because there is no start. There was a stop and now I have to introduce the next scene which will not come to me.
That's me entire book

PancakesWitch

What I usually do is skip some time, after the battle ends, skip a few hours or a day until the characters rested and then gahter up again to discuss what had happened. Making a smooth transition from killing the final boss to discussing about their lives is very hard after all

expentio

Had two times a problem with a chapter where I perfectly knew what I wanted to happen and thought it would be all so easy, but then the execution was made extremely difficult by this thing called "logic".
The first time it was a betrayal. The traitor was supposed to fight the MC in a hard battle, but I actually had a hard time figuring out how and more importantly why this mediocre fighter would choose to fight (the still mediocre) MC if directly next to him are all those super strong powerhouses who fancy the MC instead of hiding behind the enemy he's working with. And how could I reasonably explain that none of the powerhouses would fight him first?
The second was a tavern scene. An enemy troop comes to seize the comrades in thr building and I wanted that MC first affirms that all of them are assholes up to nefarious acts by addressing all the soldiers directly. After that happened she would calmly tell her comrade at the door to close it behind them and they'd start to murder them all. It was such a great scene in my mind when suddenly things came up like, "Why would the whole troop enter without any guards staying outside (witnesses would've been pretty bad)?" "Why wouldn't they have already left if they have time to position someone at the door and how's no one noticing it?" "Why would MC be able to talk like this instead of getting rushed down by the raid troop (though they posed as official guard)?".
That really jeopardized the whole scene.

Last edited:

Sylthix

In my opinion, writing these "post-fight clarity" scenes isn't actually that difficult. If you've properly established context or planned stuff out, it somewhat eliminates a need to backtrack and from then on, it's just a matter of how an author wants to style their dialogue to wrap up the scene (location, reactions, reunions, comments and cliffhangers).

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
I sympathize...
It can also happen after every odd chapters, well, atleast to me!

You write chapter 1, aaaah... Then you realize you have too much infodump, so you rewrite it.
You write chapter 2 quite easily cuz Chapter 1 already guided you.
You write chapter 3, aaaah... It doesn't make sense, why is the logic so dumb so you rewrite it.
You write chapter 4 with experience cuz you already had prior experience.
You write chapter 5, aaaah... I forgot some foreshadowing from the earlier chapter, why didn't I use it!
You write chapter 6 since it's your favorite kind of writing the one that INCREASES TENSION.
You write chapter 7, aaaah... What do I do? Is this the legendary writer's block!

Then you give up writing cuz you are so weak. Cuz you are so weak, you fell sick. Cuz you are sick, you died!

PHYSICAL DAMAGE!
EMOTIONAL DAMAGE!

"2,4,6,8... Even numbers give me strength because they are divisible by two and greater than one. I am not alone... 2,4,6,8..." Repeat this chant as you lie in your bed, and tomorrow morning, inspiration shall guide you!

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
In my opinion, writing these "post-fight clarity" scenes isn't actually that difficult. If you've properly established context or planned stuff out, it somewhat eliminates a need to backtrack and from then on, it's just a matter of how an author wants to style their dialogue to wrap up the scene (location, reactions, reunions, comments and cliffhangers).
The context and planned stuffs are not a problem.

My issue is when I followed these plan and context, it doesn't make sense. The characters have something else to say and it was just not right if I followed my planned course.

Sylthix

The context and planned stuffs are not a problem.

My issue is when I followed these plan and context, it doesn't make sense. The characters have something else to say and it was just not right if I followed my planned course.
Then maybe a fight shouldn't happen there as too many events are happening within a short time chronologically according to you.

But If you really need a fight, you could have either double-down by giving your characters stress-related issues like tiredness and mental blanks leading to unwillingness to communicate leading to another chapter or give them an escape path to recuperate and digest whatever mess they just went through.

Keep in mind that the "if you really need a fight" section is just how I would write using the limited information you've given me and you should really evaluate if my solutions are relevant at all to you. My recommendation is still "push the fight onto a later date".

taesijr123

I symphatize alot with this.
Chapter 1 and 2: I'm doing well so far.
Chapter 3: I think i'm doing okay.
Chapter 4-7-8-9 huh? this isn't what I envisioned at all!?

So you had to go back to chapter 3 and redo everything.

CheekiBreeki

Got everything planned out before writing so it doesn't happen often, both here and when I'm writing reports at work.

My main problem when writing a story is balancing out the talking. After writing like 1000 words, I looked back and said to myself "WTF is this? A drama script?" then had to replace some dialogues with a summary of what the characters said or outright remove them.