Favorite world aesthetics and why?

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
I'm quite fond of High Fantasy: wide open plains with winding long roads leading to cities of glistening spires, and casual magic galore, stark contrasts between "good lands" and "evil lands".

Science Fantasy: much of the same as above, but in spaaaaaace + FF13 style magitech, gunblades, cyber wizards, and mecha knights, oh my!

And Mahou Shojou/Sentai: costumes, over the top pastel colors, exaggerated features and absurd cuteness, very hammy and unapologetic about it, which makes deconstructions very satisfying.

I guess I like escapist stuff that either takes itself seriously with a world that's brighter than the one we live in, or stuff that doesn't take itself seriously at all. It's fun to delve in and overindulge for a bit, and it's especially fun to build worlds in which others can do the same.

How about ya'll? What does your favorite genre aesthetics do for you? Why do you like them so much?
I always found the magic of ancient lands very appealing. I have imagined a land with endless green fields and dense forests, stained with the ghostly white fog obscuring the mountains and the woods, and the alternating dark and soft grey from the almost perpetually cloudy sky that barely let pass the sunlight, with primitive buildings made of stone walls and thatch roofs punished with unforgiving winds and sporadic rain and inhabited by people of simple ways.

I like good weather, but I think the stereotypical image of sunny green fields and clear skies are boring, to say the least.

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Beaches of gemstone sand, plains of razor sharp crystalline grass growing from vantablack soil, metallic trees bearing fruit of concentrated elemental power, floating islands orbiting a World Tree, oceans ranging from violet to pink, twin gas giant planets near enough to take up a tenth of the sky between them, cities built of organic webbing sculpted into strange rounded shapes, a sun that looks black but emits radiance from its corona, stars in the night sky with multitudinous colors that light up the night bright enough to read a book by, Dungeon Cores that roam the earth on spidery legs, swamps of rubbery cotton candy colored goooooooooooooooo, and tundra of red ice and pink snow.

EternalSunset0

I've always liked modern with a light dose of sci-fi. With those bright, contrasting colors.

Something like Mahouka or Index/Railgun aesthetics. Or Asterisk War/Infinite Stratos. Madoka Magica counts too I guess.

Probably just a matter of what I grew up on. Back then, my favorite shounen was Bleach, which while it had the Japanese aesthetics, featured more "human" characters and worlds, and even in the newer gen shounen stuff, I always enjoyed the world of something like My Hero Academia or Fire Force versus Black Clover, for example.

Probably also a result of me growing up to love all those IS clones that were like Isekai back in the early 2010s, before Isekai took over.

Superhero stuff could have also played a part in this. Even pre-MCU hype, I almost always preferred Marvel heroes and worlds over DC ones.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
I love me some floating islands. If anyone ever played the mmo Worlds Adrift before it went under, stuff like that.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
I like world full of forest, and a huge underground ecosystem that’s influenced by the trees. Maybe some trees are food source for nutritions rich sap or fruit, so any creature with one in their domain has high standing
Ah, had a typo
"Word for World is Forest"

D

Deleted member 54065

My favorite world aesthetic depends on my mood, and the genre I'm writing.

Like when I was working on my story's first arc, which involves wide, grassy plains, rolling hills, and blue, snow-capped mountains from afar.

Or when in my second arc where the scenery is an azure, cloudless sky, valley of golden grass and craggy mountains on both sides, with a stone defensive wall running along the west-east.

Or in my third arc with a desert of sand dunes, with a prominent white tower that can be seen from miles away. The sky is gently halved between day and night, where one would have to walk between places to experience those instead of waiting for the place to rotate.

The_3rd_Book

Pedagogical Cannibalism?
I've always liked modern fantasies. Remember in the movie zootopia? With elephant, and sheep people with doors that match. Some flew, while others swam. Now replace elephant with ogre, and sheep with pixies. That's my sweet spot. The same, but different.

Also, If you have read a book like this please share the title. Thank you!

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Mountains are cool

Amok

grblbrbl
colors that bleed into the mind, weirdness which to the inhabitants is life. Or bleakness where form takes precedence, where the blasted wastes and eldritch temples are so saturated with the tides of time that the mortal spirit is dwarfed by their dread portent. Architecture on a mythical scale, or a simple hut in a forest of eye stalks. Beaches of bone lapped by a crimson sea. worlds that in their alieness express a sense of savage/tranquil beauty.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I've always liked modern fantasies. Remember in the movie zootopia? With elephant, and sheep people with doors that match. Some flew, while others swam. Now replace elephant with ogre, and sheep with pixies. That's my sweet spot. The same, but different.

Also, If you have read a book like this please share the title. Thank you!
So, Bright? :blob_evil:

The thing I like about Sci-Fi is being able to change the setting entirely every 'episode'. In both it and Fantasy, I love seeing how the 'differences' change the way the world works, both historically and throughout the plot.

I'm less interested in landscapes than the reason they exist. Admittedly, I also don't care if they formed naturally in a way they could have on Earth. I don't care about the smoggy Mordor clone, but I do like the idea that one might form around a Dragon's Nest because it keeps coughing in its millennia long sleep. Genshin Impact is really good at this sort of thing actually.

I also like it when creatures adapt to their surroundings. I haven't had any opportunity to mention it, but the reason Succubi have those scary bat wings despite their 'try not to be scary so I can eat' nature is so they can cling to the sheer cliffs in the places they naturally spawn in.

Lastly, I like anything that has modern or high-tech conveniences. I really don't care to see an adventurer carefully craft a homemade shelter, fire and bath for the umpteenth time. Even better if it makes sense, of course. Oh, but I don't like things that only the MC has access to. It needs to be something that everyone has access to, thus why I'm including it in 'world aesthetics'.

kiyanfan

high fantasy that features myth and magic in a big world, of long gravel paths through forests or mountains or caves. In the marketplace setting you'd find all sorts of creatures and trinkets. Seems simple but is limitless.

I always found steampunk to be interesting, though im not too well versed in it. I dont know what it is about having mechanical gears incorporated with european fantasy, but i like it.

The_3rd_Book

Pedagogical Cannibalism?
So, Bright? :blob_evil:

The thing I like about Sci-Fi is being able to change the setting entirely every 'episode'. In both it and Fantasy, I love seeing how the 'differences' change the way the world works, both historically and throughout the plot.

I'm less interested in landscapes than the reason they exist. Admittedly, I also don't care if they formed naturally in a way they could have on Earth. I don't care about the smoggy Mordor clone, but I do like the idea that one might form around a Dragon's Nest because it keeps coughing in its millennia long sleep. Genshin Impact is really good at this sort of thing actually.

I also like it when creatures adapt to their surroundings. I haven't had any opportunity to mention it, but the reason Succubi have those scary bat wings despite their 'try not to be scary so I can eat' nature is so they can cling to the sheer cliffs in the places they naturally spawn in.

Lastly, I like anything that has modern or high-tech conveniences. I really don't care to see an adventurer carefully craft a homemade shelter, fire and bath for the umpteenth time. Even better if it makes sense, of course. Oh, but I don't like things that only the MC has access to. It needs to be something that everyone has access to, thus why I'm including it in 'world aesthetics'.
Bright? Is that a title? Do you have a link by any chance?

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer