First Person or Third Person for a narrator

ValarieValentinne

Hi,

I want to add a narrator to my novel as an anchor to help keep track of the story.

Any recommendations on which point of view should i choose third or first person.

This character will be a key character of the story then die and remain as AI consciousness.
If that makes any difference?

Any advice is welcomed.

D

Deleted member 54065

From my experience, having a First Person POV for narration is pretty difficult, simply for the reason that it is limited.

Also, First Person POVs are effective if you want to convey the inner thoughts of a character based on what he's/she's witnessing. So unless your narrator would add his/her own 'comments', a good route is Third Person POV.

Anyways, I recommend Third Person Omnipotent POV for a 'neutral' narration, really. You can make the person an AI overseer or something similar without the limitations of the First Person POV.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
First person is for more indepth character development. We get to see all the intimate moments of their feelings on each situation.

Third person is better for multiple characters where we can see a glimpse inside their feelings but not on an absolute personal level. Third person tends to be easier because it's less restricted.

Whatever you feel comfortable with, go for it. Good luck!

ACertainPassingUser

Good Narrator is far more difficult than good 3rd person POV.

Usually your work will sound like 9 yo children narrating their childish story while persistently exaggerating part the story they like, and ignoring some obvious detail.

Try to use narrator after gaining some experience, or with some experienced writer guidance.

Iamnotabot

Bot of [PAUL]
Third person is better simply because, its more flexible that way. First person is kind hard, since they can only tell what they saw and think so first person POV may not be reliable

AiLovesToGrow

I write silly erotica
I am a fan of Third Person, and I tend to flip between limited and omniscient.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Depends on the story. Each have their strengths and weaknesses, but the best way you can decide which pov is right for you is to remember this:

First person's strength is characterization of the focal protagonist, while third person's strength is giving a wide view of the story and world the character's persist in.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Second person, like this:

ValarieValentinne

From my experience, having a First Person POV for narration is pretty difficult, simply for the reason that it is limited.

Also, First Person POVs are effective if you want to convey the inner thoughts of a character based on what he's/she's witnessing. So unless your narrator would add his/her own 'comments', a good route is Third Person POV.

Anyways, I recommend Third Person Omnipotent POV for a 'neutral' narration, really. You can make the person an AI overseer or something similar without the limitations of the First Person POV.
Thanks again for your advice.
Depends on the story. Each have their strengths and weaknesses, but the best way you can decide which pov is right for you is to remember this:

First person's strength is characterization of the focal protagonist, while third person's strength is giving a wide view of the story and world the character's persist in.
I am going for exactly what you said a wide world view for at least the first couple of volumes of my story. Thanks for helping me clear my mind.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Hi,

I want to add a narrator to my novel as an anchor to help keep track of the story.

Any recommendations on which point of view should i choose third or first person.

This character will be a key character of the story then die and remain as AI consciousness.
If that makes any difference?

Any advice is welcomed.
Don't know what you're going to write, can't say with certainty.

However, it's best to follow the following guidelines:

1. 1st person
- Best for delivering emotions and thoughts of the narrator
- More personal
- Often limited in omniscience
- More relatable narrator

3rd person
- Multiple point of view
- Less personal
- Commonly has high degree of omniscience
- Easier to tell a story of multiple main characters

ValarieValentinne

Don't know what you're going to write, can't say with certainty.

However, it's best to follow the following guidelines:

1. 1st person
- Best for delivering emotions and thoughts of the narrator
- More personal
- Often limited in omniscience
- More relatable narrator

3rd person
- Multiple point of view
- Less personal
- Commonly has high degree of omniscience
- Easier to tell a story of multiple main characters
actually i am more into the story. i have published a prologue and blur check it out if your interested. link : https://www.scribblehub.com/series/651552/obsolete-humans/ i am going to change the prologue to include 2 key points of the story. I plan to publish chapter this month.

Thanks again for the help.