How do you deal with procrastination?

Jailbreak571

Former CEO of Kamazon. Active lurker
After a long Christmas break, I realised that I probably have 6 projects that I still have yet to finish. School is in 4 days and I don't have enough motivation to do them. Mainly due to laziness.

Also, I'm a bit tired because of a chess competition (which drained me to the ground) so uhh… yeah. But tbh, this is just an excuse.

Jailbreak571

That's the neat part, you don't.

Joking aside, I did it because I have reasons, maybe find a motivation?
Hard. The only motivation I can find is my sense of urgency. Which usually appears if the project's deadline is tomorrow.

IdleYoungMaster

By creating an imaginary sense of urgency. Plus, my mindset is always so that "I will finish this now so that I won't think about it later". Of course, it is not viable if your schedule is jam-packed.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I can only speak for myself but my biggest motivator are the comments. Even if it is just a Thank you or a blob. That reminds me why I write: To tell an entertaining story. Thats it. If I know that I can do that and have people enjoy it, I feel good and keep the will to continue writing.

For me creating deadlines and dates that I have to adhere to always had a negative effect. If I have to meet a deadline I became less motivated and less inspired to do it and more likely to miss it.

Try not to stress about it, it is not like someone is breathing down on your neck, no? Maybe you need this rest and come back to your stories when you feel refreshed and then start pumping out chapters.

When you have ideas and the drive to write, it comes much easier to finish up chapters than always thinking about you have only X ammount of time left and you still only did Y ammount of lines.

Akaichi

You can't! Procrastination is pure evil, the only way to defeat it is to create a habit!
Subdivide your time and make a habit of studying or doing whatever in a set period... Add some rewards at first.
In 40 to 50 days your habit would be strong enough to defeat your desire to procrastinate.

You can also try creating a deadline... Those always work.

J_Chemist

I struggle with procastination a lot, as I'm lazy and would be perfectly content with doing nothing all day. So I trap myself. I've learned tricks that get me to do things and once I get moving, I generally am able to complete the task.

Example A: Going to the gym. I force myself to drink my preworkout as soon as possible when it's that time because now it's either get to the gym and die or suffer as the desire to claw off my face consumes me.

Example B: Writing. I put on music and cycle through youtube until I find a song/beat that triggers my imagination and either I use the juice or depression hits me like a truck.

Example C: Yard/Car Work. I meander on outside near the thing I need to start and stare at it, poke and kick at it, and then I generally get yelled at to either do it or fuck off out of the garage by a certain motivational speaker in my home.

Having that motivational speaker helps with other things, but generally I do those kinds of tricks to get myself going over the hump.

D

Deleted member 54065

After a long Christmas break, I realised that I probably have 6 projects that I still have yet to finish. School is in 4 days and I don't have enough motivation to do them. Mainly due to laziness.

Also, I'm a bit tired because of a chess competition (which drained me to the ground) so uhh… yeah. But tbh, this is just an excuse.
People from WebkomPH, and Honeyfeed, as well as some here in ScribbleHub, knew that whenever I suddenly lost communications, or removed myself from one Discord channel, it's not that I'm creating drama.

I'm actually focusing on writing my story, and I have to isolate myself from everything I love and do (games, anime, manga, and even online forum) so I can finish my manuscript within my self-imposed deadline of one month.

Is it effective? Well, I already wrote 14 volumes for my main project. Now, I'm about to write the 15th.

AiLovesToGrow

I write silly erotica
You should write a story where the Demon Lord is the embodiment of procrastination, Lord Slothe. You are his daughter, about to be married off to the son of Lady Luust in the neighboring kingdom of demons. You really can’t be bothered, so you run away to the land of the Alliance Of Virtue and - with your horde of minions - you decide to become an adventurer where you will defeat your father, King Of Procrastination, once and for all!

…tomorrow.

Jailbreak571

You should write a story where the Demon Lord is the embodiment of procrastination, Lord Slothe. You are his daughter, about to be married off to the son of Lady Luust in the neighboring kingdom of demons. You really can’t be bothered, so you run away to the land of the Alliance Of Virtue and - with your horde of minions - you decide to become an adventurer where you will defeat your father, King Of Procrastination, once and for all!

…tomorrow.
Great idea!
I'll do it next week…