How do you incorporate the seven deadly sins?

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
The seven deadly sins is a list of 7 sins that were outlined by Pope Gregory and were the antithesis of the 7 Christian virtues which are chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, kindness, patience and humility.

The theme of the seven deadly sins has caught on like wildfire onto works of culture like in the series seven deadly sins and stuff so I’d like to ask how do you incorporate this concept into your story?
DB983C6A-DF35-455E-98EF-4BEF5FB80DBF.png

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Greed as Midas with his midas touch, it also helps that I imagined him as Smough.

Pride as Terra of the Left, with his hierarchy manipulating power to always put himself above everything, meaning attacks are harmless to him and if he hits you, you are fucked.

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
Just between you and me, I plan to make this into a sickness. A certain sin will affect the victim for every day of the week and gradually get stronger. So the start of the sickness, the person might feel a bit more horny than usual on a certain day. Then on the later stages he might have an uncontrollable lust.

i think i implemented them as my MC being lazy, horny and love to eat a lot.

at some point i did use them to decide on my characters' personalities as well, juts like astrology.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
How do you incorporate this concept into your story?
Carefully

I don't believe in the whole thing about 7 sins and 7 virtues, though. We are animals that reproduce sexually, and none of us would be here without lust. Kindness is a great virtue, but the rest of them can be detriments in certain situations.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
The seven deadly sins is a list of 7 sins that were outlined by Pope Gregory and were the antithesis of the 7 Christian virtues which are chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, kindness, patience, and humility.

The theme of the seven deadly sins has caught on like wildfire in works of culture like in the series seven deadly sins and stuff so I’d like to ask how do you incorporate this concept into your story?View attachment 13815
1. Pride would be incorporated by letting the user enter a temporary state of nigh-invulnerability and strength -- this includes physical, emotional, and mental strength -- followed up by a period of crippling weakness and venerability -- which includes physical, emotional, and mental venerability -- that gets worse and worse the more consistently you use this transformation state.

2. Greed would be fairly simple, the idea is you get stronger by the amount of wealth you have, but for your attacks to have any real effect you need to spend wealth your wealth reaching zero would render you in a vegetable-like state till someone takes the mercy of sparing money to you. At that point, you are in their service as a slave for some time depending on how much money they gave.

3. Lust would be a state that you can enter that makes you an Adonis or Aphrodite like character with the ability to swoon people with your silver tongue and mind control powers, after it ends your words and body would become more repulsive and convincing after leaving this state, gradually getting worse and worse the more consistently you use this state.

4. Envy would be represented as the ability to copy any sort of skill or form -- literally and metaphorically -- perfectly, but you are unable to keep these skills or techniques forever needing to see them over and over again to really use them consistently. You'd also never be able to come up with something unique forever damned to follow and leech off the shadows of others.

5. Gluttony would allow you to take on the aspect of the things you consume for an allotted period of time, the changes to this form are permeant, but the constant abuse of this ability makes your time in it longer, and your mind becomes more ravenous and feral. Which could lead you to become an eldritch blob that ate everything.

6. Fairly simple once more, the more you give in to the endless anger and the more you give up the stronger you become. The things you give up could be something like a precious item, a memory, or more commonly your lifespan. Some of these things, like the memory or lifespan, would come back slowly, but if you give into much your life will be quick and short, and continuously giving up things like a certain memory in a short amount of time will result in permanent deletion of said memory, and you could end up becoming nothing but a short-lived ball of rage.

7. Sloth would involve the ability to control time and space and nearly being immortal, at the cost of the time and energy it would have taken to cover such a distance or how long it would have normally taken to do such a thing in a period of time. The aftereffect of using this ability would inflict a type of waking dream with the severity and deepness of the dream depending on how to power the related ability used.

(The abilities that induce a temporary transformation state would get stronger and stronger and their durations and effectiveness would continuously get better the more consistently they are used, much how their side effects would get worse and worse.)
----------------------------------------------------------

To anybody that would say, "These trade-offs sound terrible! Why would you use these abilities regardless of the reward?" That is kind of the point the are the seven deadly sins after all.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I'm really not that much of a theology guy. It is interesting, but I don't think it's my place. So I'm not really interested in using the 7 deadly sins in my writing for now.

T.K._Paradox

Carefully

I don't believe in the whole thing about 7 sins and 7 virtues, though. We are animals that reproduce sexually, and none of us would be here without lust. Kindness is a great virtue, but the rest of them can be detriments in certain situations.
Everything requires a semblance of balance, whilst adhering to the seven virtues without looking out for oneself -- by using these sins-- could lead to trouble, that is no excuse for an endless indulgence in debauchery as abusing these vices will result in your life having almost the same value as an animal which most do not have the control over their base impulses, without any control you will become a slave to these sins and will never be to self-actualize your true potential.

SailusGebel

Wait for Jemini to swagger into this thread with Acedia.

BlackKnightX

It’s the titles in my first series (that never finished). All seven of them are the names of the title that grant the holder some special abilities—like, greed grant the user the ability to steal powers, statuses, possessions, and literally everything. It’s an extremely OP ability. This is a spoiler, I know, but like I said, the series’ never got to finished, so yeah, that’s that…

T.K._Paradox

Just between you and me, I plan to make this into a sickness. A certain sin will affect the victim for every day of the week and gradually get stronger. So the start of the sickness, the person might feel a bit more horny than usual on a certain day. Then on the later stages he might have an uncontrollable lust.
I genuinely like this idea. Story link?

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Carefully

1. Lust as the sin is referring to the over lust illness and wanting sex for the beauty of another not to breed and create which is separate

2. Kind people are naive, very naive