How funny are jokes from your stories? Let me test them.

SailusGebel

@Indicterra Inspired me to make this thread. Although I find a lot of peeps here to be very funny, whenever I checked out their stories or saw jokes from their stories, it was unfunny. I made two feedback threads, and apart from that, gave feedback to some people outside of those threads. I saw "funny scenes" or jokes from stories in various threads. All of them were NOT funny. I chuckled a couple times I think, but no more than that.

So, if you are brave, and think you are funny as hell, post a joke or a funny scene from your story. I will tell you if I find them funny or not. And since the thread is in general chat, others can rate it as well if they want to.

Sylver

Comedy and humor are different in my story. They're not jokes mostly comebacks and funny misunderstandings. The latest chapter involved a trio of cat girls attempting to cook for the first time and Murphy's Law kicks into effect.

Dumping eggs with the shell and everything into a frying pan instead of a baking pan.

Adding one cup of a flower instead of flour. That kind of stuff.

But humor was never my best work in writing x) I'm no comedian, I just create funny situations or comebacks.

Tempokai

Overworked One
My jokes in the novel are very situational and doesn't translate well into being quotable :blob_no:

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
As many have said, I find it hard to take out just one line of a story (not even mine, but overall) and read it to someone without a contextual info dump beforehand, because I always feel like it's not going to be as funny if you don't understand what's behind it. :blob_cookie:
Other than that, I have some quibs that could go as actual jokes, but I'm not a very good comedian, so I can lighten the mood, but I'm not very funny. :blob_blank:

SailusGebel

Are you sure you are ready to ready my style of writing? :blob_hide:

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I dug up a man's dead mother to repo the jewelery from her corpse.
After we sold it at auction it wasn't enough to pay the money he owed, so I sent him a fresh bill, included the cost of the backhoe to dig up his mom, but I also included:

Reattachement of cadaver's fingers: No additional cost.

When he called me at the collection agency, he was screaming like a little girl. His voice was like, three octives higher than normal. When he threatened to come to my office and kill me, I told him to bring his checkbook, because he still owed almost nine hundred dollars.

I never heard anyone smash their phone before, But I heard him throw it on the ground.

I love that story. It just keeps getting funnier, every time I tell it.

Indicterra

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed 🎶
Freshly written draft for my new project

I wiped my hands with a tissue and stretched my arms, murmuring to myself, "I guess my narcissistic tendencies have awakened since coming to this world." These feelings of uniqueness, of being chosen, carry their own risks, but I am only human after all, I possess my own flaws. I yearn for power, recognition, and glory, and most of all, I want to prove to those people who abandoned me at my lowest point in this life wrong, it's my petty revenge if you will. But after all I went through I think I deserve it.

"Explain the terms and conditions"

[The Genesis system requires you to take on the role of a dungeon manager and manage the 'Cradle']

"That's interesting "

[The Genesis system requires you to do your best to grow and meet the demands of the system]

"That's fair"

[To mitigate the unique challenges presented by the Genesis system and to avoid old enemies until you're ready, we kindly request the user to exercise the utmost discretion in sharing any information related to it….. For your own safety of course]

"And that's just red flag"

Indicterra

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed 🎶

I wiped my hands with a tissue and stretched my arms, murmuring to myself, "I guess my narcissistic tendencies have awakened since coming to this world." These feelings of uniqueness, of being chosen, carry their own risks, but I am only human after all, I possess my own flaws. I yearn for power, recognition, and glory, and most of all, I want to prove to those people who abandoned me at my lowest point in this life wrong, it's my petty revenge if you will. But after all I went through I think I deserve it.

[The Genesis system requires you to take on the role of a dungeon manager and manage the 'Cradle']

"That's interesting "

[The Genesis system requires you to do your best to grow and meet the demands of the system]

"That's fair"

[To mitigate the unique challenges presented by the Genesis system and to avoid old enemies until you're ready, we kindly request the user to exercise the utmost discretion in sharing any information related to it….. For your own safety of course]

Yup not funny when read out without the build up

SailusGebel

I dug up a man's dead mother to repo the jewelery from her corpse.
After we sold it at auction it wasn't enough to pay the money he owed, so I sent him a fresh bill, included the cost of the backhoe to dig up his mom, but I also included:

Reattachement of cadaver's fingers: No additional cost.

When he called me at the collection agency, he was screaming like a little girl. His voice was like, three octives higher than normal. When he threatened to come to my office and kill me, I told him to bring his checkbook, because he still owed almost nine hundred dollars.

I never heard anyone smash their phone before, But I heard him throw it on the ground.

I love that story. It just keeps getting funnier, every time I tell it.
Not funny.

"That's interesting "

"That's fair"

Not funny.
You have to read my story. :blob_evil:
:blob_awkward:

RynnTheTired

Pathological Sleepyhead
Most of the humor in my story comes from Iggy the baby dragon doing crazy things, not straight-up jokes. But there's a pun-loving skeleton dragon named Humerus who shows up sometimes. He tells actual jokes...albeit super corny ones.... :sweat_smile:

Thenio made a face. "And here I was imagining you retiring to live a quiet life on some peaceful little farm.... But no, you're raising bloodthirsty monsters...."

"I know, right?" Humerus nodded sagely. "Those fowl are really foul."

Bero put a hand over his face. "Please don't start with the chicken jokes, Humerus...."

Humerus' eye flames narrowed. "Bero, we've talked about this. As the guy who gave me my name, you have no right to complain about my egg-cellent chicken yolks."

"You always have to bring that up...." Bero scowled at him.

"Because it's an im-peck-able point," Humerus said, sniggering. "You can't argue any feather."

"Oh, Humerus is telling jokes!" Iggy finally stopped playing with his wooden chicken and flew up to land on the back of Bero's chair. "Can you do some more?"

Humerus' eyes flared, and his tail swished with excitement. "Of course! I'm a bone-afide comedi-hen!"

"Did I mention they require a lot of patience...?" Ariom said with a sigh.

(From the end of chapter 13, in case anyone wants to know what's up with the bloodthirsty chickens.)

John_Owl

The one with fluffy wings
Comedy and humor are different in my story.
Quite right. Comedy is the telling of jokes with the intent to bring laughter.
Why did the chicken cross the road? Because he escaped my cleaver.

Humor, on the other hand, is situations that cause laughter even if they don't intend to.
The guy watching the chicken cross the road was laughing his butt off at the headless chicken corpse wandering across the pavement.

SailusGebel

Most of the humor in my story comes from Iggy the baby dragon doing crazy things, not straight-up jokes. But there's a pun-loving skeleton dragon named Humerus who shows up sometimes. He tells actual jokes...albeit super corny ones.... :sweat_smile:
PUN POLICE! 🚨🚨🚨