How important is it to you for stories to have interesting chapter titles?

MareoKen

As readers, do you guys care about chapter titles? I've been wondering if the titles I give my chapters could be improved to make readers more inclined to read or more excited for the chapter.

Personally, if I'm already invested in a story, chapter titles don't really matter to me. But I can see how an interesting chapter title may make the reader more intrigued.

D

Deleted member 57675

If the story and synopsis was interesting to begin with, I don't even pay attention to chapter title much; at that point the title is just a neat bookmark where you left off.

Synopsis and Story's title is significant.
A chapter title is a meh.

PancakesWitch

Usually not so much, but i take into consideration telling what happens while also not spoiling it, which sometiems leave me thinking for a few minutes

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
As a reader, have zero care about chapter titles but does help when I want to revisit a good bit of a story.

As a writer, I care WAYYYYY too much about having the right chapter title. Whether is a pun or a mysterious statement that only makes sense after a person had read a chapter.

Kenjona

None, unless I want to go back to a point. Or if I build up chapters to read and need to remember how far along I am.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
... As a reader, it depends on my mood, but a good chapter title will pique my interest

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I put the weirdest shit on the chapter title and people automatically click into it out of curiosity. I'll write shit like Chapter 17: Seventeen Banana Farmers Harvest One Grove and that's how I bait unsuspecting readers into reading a seventeen-man gangbang with a hung shota.

D

Deleted member 54065

I just make sure that somehow, the title has a connection to the chapter, like the character uttered it, the event itself or it's the overall 'feel' or 'mood' of the chapter.

Prezombie

It's never been a factor on if I read something or not, but I definitely prefer titled chapters to purely numbered chapters. Ideally the chapter title is enough to make it relatively easy for someone to find a specific chapter again in the future.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
You can worry about chapter titles if a publisher picks up your work. A good editor will fix that.

TroubleFait

A bad chapter title can throw me off, like, "I don't even wanna read that!" and boom, I stopped reading the story. I'm not even sure the title was indicative of how the chapter would turn out to be, it just gave me a bad mood and that's that.

If the chapter title is not actively putting me off, any title will do, no worries.

Mephi

Titles are important to catch attention when one is looking for a new book. Once we get past the title and cover, start looking at the synopsis and first chapter and stuff, it doesn't matter as much. But it is totally important to get that first spark of interest.

"Don't judge a book by the cover" is a saying because people totally do judge by the cover all the time.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I like seeing interesting chapter titles, it's just something that brings a smile to my face... And well, I also dislike chapters without titles. It just feels like there is something missing there.

Is it super important? No, but I like it anyways~

MoonlitSonata

Titles are also important to catch attention .my novel, recently I wasted much time on this new novel title. Also, guessing chapter titles. 🧐

lambenttyto

Personally, if I'm already invested in a story, chapter titles don't really matter to me. But I can see how an interesting chapter title may make the reader more intrigued.
I used to be obsessed with chapter titles, and most of what I write has them to attract readers, but I really don't mind a nice clean no-titled chapter.

YueLqn

I dont care that much, but it's important if I've lost my place and need to find where I've left off..