I can predict whether your story will become popular or not

Hathnuz

Hello! I posted my first story and I'll appreciate it if you could give me some feedback! Thank you!

Your story reminds me of Warhammer40k and has great world building and setting. Unfortunately, webnovel readers don't care about that. They prefer character-centric stories rather than setting-centric ones, so you'll get less than 100 readers in 30 chapters with very low chance of getting popular despite the good premise. The story would be better as a comic book rather than a novel imo.
Posted my first story today, just want your opinion(feedback). No need to predict.

The premise is clear but flawed. You chose the wrong character as the protagonist because he's not relatable nor interesting. Also, why do people there despise arcane? Whether they're evil or not is unclear. I think it would be more interesting if the protagonist was the culprit behind the attack instead. Not to mention, the lack of popular tags which will deter people from reading it. My point is, while the story might be good, it won't be enjoyable due to the problems I listed. You'll get less than 100 readers in 30 chapters with very low chance of getting popular.

Aushin

Your story reminds me of Warhammer40k and has great world building and setting. Unfortunately, webnovel readers don't care about that. They prefer character-centric stories rather than setting-centric ones, so you'll get less than 100 readers in 30 chapters with very low chance of getting popular despite the good premise. The story would be better as a comic book rather than a novel imo.

The premise is clear but flawed. You chose the wrong character as the protagonist because he's not relatable nor interesting. Also, why do people there despise arcane? Whether they're evil or not is unclear. I think it would be more interesting if the protagonist was the culprit behind the attack instead. Not to mention, the lack of popular tags which will deter people from reading it. My point is, while the story might be good, it won't be enjoyable due to the problems I listed. You'll get less than 100 readers in 30 chapters with very low chance of getting popular.
Thank you for the insight. I'll try to work on that.

Arroww

Ah...that's sad to read, especially because there will be a MC in my story but well..thanks for you reply! Greatly appreciate it.

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
I want to follow along with the flow of this thread but there's two or more things going on at once. I'm deeply interested

Hathnuz

The premise is kinda interesting but old and too niche, especially for webnovel readers. In addition, the mc seems like a prick judging from the synopsis. Personally, I doubt the story will find success, so you'll get less than 100 readers with very low chance of becoming popular.

Malonymous

Hello, I'm not expecting a ton for this idea but I'm curious for your input. The story would basically be a Japanese school life GL drama comedy that's loosely similar to Your Lie in April except the tragic elements are part of the MC's recent backstory, and with a bit of K-ON. There's some light ecchi, cliches like death of a friend, the transfer student and an all-girls club, and a mild 'chuunibyou' twist that may or may not make a great selling point. Tags would include past trauma, past plays a big role, slow romance, psychological, cold/anti-social protagonist, beautiful female lead, tomboyish female lead, modern day, music/singers, etc.

Also, if one were to try writing an OEL story set in Japan, would you recommend using honorifics and trying to emulate a 'light novel' feel to the writing, or no, or only sparingly for comedic effect? Thanks~

Last edited:

Hathnuz

Hello, I'm not expecting a ton for this idea but I'm curious for your input. The story would basically be a Japanese school life GL drama comedy that's loosely similar to Your Lie in April except the tragic elements are part of the MC's recent backstory, and with a bit of K-ON. There's some light ecchi, cliches like death of a friend, the transfer student and an all-girls club, and a mild 'chuunibyou' twist that may or may not make a great selling point. Tags would include past trauma, past plays a big role, slow romance, psychological, cold/anti-social protagonist, beautiful female lead, tomboyish female lead, modern day, music/singers, etc.
Basically, the premise is about music, right? Well, webnovel ain't the right medium for that, so I doubt the story will work.
Also, if one were to try writing an OEL story set in Japan, would you recommend using honorifics and trying to emulate a 'light novel' feel to the writing, or no, or only sparingly for comedic effect? Thanks~
Yes, you should and make sure to be consistent.

megu3

I'm not an expert, but it most likely won't become popular because it doesn't really have any popular cliches aside from GL I guess, but personally, I would love to read that.
Honorifics are a good idea, people who don't understand them will just ignore them and it won't keep them from understanding the story, but the audience you're targeting should be already familiar with them either way. I guess it won't be all about music (YLIA has episodes dedicated solely to music, K-On! has almost no music), but more about the relations between girls and their daily lives besides music, so it should work well as a novel.
Again, I'd be really interested to read this story, mainly because of the "chuunibyou twist", but also because it's a slice of life set in modern world which is a very rare thing on this platform.

DoctorZero

So...where do you think i should post it? Isn't web novels supposed to be...well, novels on the net?
Hi Kinnikuniverse! Just write the book you wish you could read, and don't worry about how many readers you get.
- If you write often, you will get better at writing.
- If you post often, you will get readers (Post on Royal Road too).
- If write a book you actually enjoy, then writing is fun, and you won't worry so much about what other people think.

Vnator

This is pretty cool! If you're still doing it (with all of this rush), then here's mine:

Thanks again for doing this!

Tatletot

Give me your story's premise, tags, and first chapter's link and I will give you my feedback and prediction per title above. By popular, I mean reaching 800+ readers on this site (or other places too, if you want). However, don't expect any very detailed opinion because I'm not really much of a critic -- you can check TheTrinary's thread for that. Works best if you haven't written many words or posted on anywhere yet.

Note: Not guaranteed 100% accurate prediction (I'm not a psychic lol). My feedback is derived from my observation and experience as an author for around six years. Also, just because the story have the right genres and tags, doesn't mean it'll become a hit. There are more nuances than that.
Well, I've never used a magic 8 ball, but I think I would trust your judgment more:)
Title: Mana Anxiety
Premise: James (a girl) has
a mana sensitivity that presents itself as
severe social anxiety
because she lacks the tools to accurately interpret it or realize that that is what's actually happening
. The System integrates into the world, and she slowly transforms into a person trying to get stronger and stronger in order to be able to survive by herself (since remnants of social anxiety still remain). Will incorporate living in transformed post-System Earth, alien governments, and grinding.
Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/42741/mana-anxiety/chapter/674021/1-dreams
(it's on this site too, but so far only 1 chapter uploaded on here as opposed to 12 on Royal Road so far).

Hathnuz

This is pretty cool! If you're still doing it (with all of this rush), then here's mine:

Thanks again for doing this!
It seems interesting, but unfortunately, your synopsis turn people away. Isekai fans are generally liking toward personal growth rather than overarching conflicts or conspiracies, so you should change it imo. Not to mention, isekai parodies are kinda stale since we already have Konosuba and Hiraiheishi. I think your story has potential but only if you make it clearer that it's about isekai parody though that's up to you. Also, you have more than 30 chapters already, so I won't predict yours.
Well, I've never used a magic 8 ball, but I think I would trust your judgment more:)
Title: Mana Anxiety
Premise: James (a girl) has
a mana sensitivity that presents itself as
severe social anxiety
because she lacks the tools to accurately interpret it or realize that that is what's actually happening
. The System integrates into the world, and she slowly transforms into a person trying to get stronger and stronger in order to be able to survive by herself (since remnants of social anxiety still remain). Will incorporate living in transformed post-System Earth, alien governments, and grinding.
Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/42741/mana-anxiety/chapter/674021/1-dreams
(it's on this site too, but so far only 1 chapter uploaded on here as opposed to 12 on Royal Road so far).
Ah, yes, post-apocalypse + litrpg was the shit back in the early days, but I'm not entirely sure whether the trope is still up-to-date. Although the story looks solid, it's not very unique. You'll get 100-300 readers on royalroad. On scribblehub, however, I think it will be less than since litrpg isn't the main trending genre.
Your story has the most of ingredients to become popular here. Besides being very clear and promising, the premise is also different enough from other similar fictions. Overall, you'll get 300-600 readers by chapter 30 with medium-high chance of getting into trending -- especially because you don't have the smut tag.

Last edited:

Vnator

It seems interesting, but unfortunately, your synopsis turn people away. Isekai fans are generally liking toward personal growth rather than overarching conflicts or conspiracies, so you should change it imo. Not to mention, isekai parodies are kinda stale since we already have Konosuba and Hiraiheishi. I think your story has potential but only if you make it clearer that it's about isekai parody though that's up to you. Also, you already have more than 30 chapters already, so I won't predict yours.
Thanks for the reply! How would you suggest I change the synopsis? The premise I put here is just my own quick summary, by the way, with the actual synopsis on the story page.

I was actually planning to have the next book be independently readable from the first, and all about one of the latest people who got summoned from earth, and their own personal growth in that organization instead of the fantasy hero's quest they expected.

Hathnuz

Thanks for the reply! How would you suggest I change the synopsis? The premise I put here is just my own quick summary, by the way, with the actual synopsis on the story page.

I was actually planning to have the next book be independently readable from the first, and all about one of the latest people who got summoned from earth, and their own personal growth in that organization instead of the fantasy hero's quest they expected.
Make it simple and easy to digest but also conveying the premise with clarity. Something like this.

Hathnuz

How well is this doing, I have no frame of reference to really compare it to.
I've read similar premise in a japanese novel called Saikyou no Shuzoku ga Ningen Datta Ken. To answer your question, you're doing pretty well. If your synopsis more centered around escapism and promise of harems, you'd get even more readers but that's up to you.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
Shall I give this a shot? (aka, checking if you're still doing this)