I can't draw upper bodies

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
1607743484034.png

So, I've been trying to draw lately however I can't figure how to get some decent ratios for the upper body.
From the waist down things look pretty good tho.
Any clues on that? also, any tips on faces?

D

Deleted member 29316

Is this realistic style? I could help you in anime style body proportions.

D

Deleted member 5560

That's a very small image, but I'll do my best.

First: the overall sense of proportion and ratio is actually fine. Shoulders are roughly the size of the hips, the torso is roughly 3 heads tall. The problem is the arms are too short, the torso is too boxy, and the high shoulders give her a hunched look.

1607744332243.png

Your image roughly looks like this broken down into the shapes, and you should see what I mean about the arms and the torso. Women tend to have sloped shoulders, and all humans tend to have a slight inverted triangle look (if they're slim) due to how bones are placed. Shoulder bones, ribs, then a mostly empty space for organs before the hip bones cause the shape to flare out again. As for arms, if you press your arms to your side you'll see the elbows fit exactly into you waist - about even with your belly button. Even if her arms are bent, they should be longer.

Something like this:
1607744423083.png

As you can see, by paying attention to that inverted triangle, even though her waist is the same width, it gives her more of an hourglass figure shape.

D

Deleted member 29316

Next, after putting in the guidelines (or if you're already aware of your body poses), I draw in the body.

Please do take note of the guidelines in the first illustration. It's how wide you should draw the body parts, in relation to the head size. (If you're drawing younger characters, you have to intentionally make the head bigger than the body.)

Guide-Proportion 2.jpg

Wohendum-Bluu

When Blue Just Isn't Quite Blue Enough
That's a very small image, but I'll do my best.

First: the overall sense of proportion and ratio is actually fine. Shoulders are roughly the size of the hips, the torso is roughly 3 heads tall. The problem is the arms are too short, the torso is too boxy, and the high shoulders give her a hunched look.

View attachment 5318
Your image roughly looks like this broken down into the shapes, and you should see what I mean about the arms and the torso. Women tend to have sloped shoulders, and all humans tend to have a slight inverted triangle look (if they're slim) due to how bones are placed. Shoulder bones, ribs, then a mostly empty space for organs before the hip bones cause the shape to flare out again. As for arms, if you press your arms to your side you'll see the elbows fit exactly into you waist - about even with your belly button. Even if her arms are bent, they should be longer.

Something like this:
View attachment 5320
As you can see, by paying attention to that inverted triangle, even though her waist is the same width, it gives her more of an hourglass figure shape.
Awesome!! Wish I could draw.

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
View attachment 5316
So, I've been trying to draw lately however I can't figure how to get some decent ratios for the upper body.
From the waist down things look pretty good tho.
Any clues on that? also, any tips on faces?
here is a site where you can take inspiration and learn some tricks.

Helpful Artists YouTube:

Ethan Becker -

(KnKl) Kienan Lafferty -

Ergo Josh -

Manga Artist:

Akihito Yoshitomi - (He does drawing practices that you can learn from.) -

that's it from my head for now. You can learn alot from these people.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
There are two types of people
Sticks with metric ton of gorn, thank you stick animation. I love those days. It helps to vent out as a child when I get dragged onto alleys to get freshly beaten up daily. On hindsight, I should have gone for the route of murdering small cats and dogs and level up until I murder the three bastards.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
sticks with dicks

Sticks with metric ton of gorn, thank you stick animation. I love those days. It helps to vent out as a child when I get dragged onto alleys to get freshly beaten up daily. On hindsight, I should have gone for the route of murdering small cats and dogs and level up until I murder the three bastards.
Why bring gore in...
The poor man was just asking for art advice...

Kowaichi

I can't find the face tutorial I made back in 2017, but here are the guidelines that I use in order to draw faces.
Create a circle first and add a face cross. And then, add a square inside the circle.

The bottom of the circle is where you will draw the mouth
The square helps you to know where is the hairline, nose, jaw, and ear.
The face cross - eyebrow, eye, and chin.
1607770255783.png

I hope it helps! :blob_paint:

EternalSunset0

I can't find the face tutorial I made back in 2017, but here are the guidelines that I use in order to draw faces.
Create a circle first and add a face cross. And then, add a square inside the circle.

The bottom of the circle is where you will draw the mouth
The square helps you to know where is the hairline, nose, jaw, and ear.
The face cross - eyebrow, eye, and chin.
View attachment 5326
I hope it helps! :blob_paint:
This is amazing. Thanks for the very helpful tutorial :D

Ral

Nice advice from everyone.

Is this more on the anatomically accurate style?

From me… the thing I notice most is that the arm is not attached to the shoulder properly. It is like you draw the arm separately and then just connect it to the shoulder with some lines.

I think you need to study anatomy first. What could help is to draw a simplified skeleton where you can put on the flesh like this:

skel.jpeg

skin.jpeg

It helps me a lot when I do it like this.