I learned Art

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Oh my! Now you can start getting paid for commissions!

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Yup I based it off something. Didn't trace it thought. I free hand sketch the base to get a general posture and then used the Sketch Book tools to fill in and change things around. The only thing I didn't really "transform" was the legs. I probably will once I fit them into the larger cover.
Well, now I feel betrayed.

tiaf

Apparently taking posture and hands is a bigger deal for someone people than I thought it'd be.
The understanding of anatomy and partly perspective to pull that pose freestyle without reference is imo quite high. So referencing nearly 1:1 without stating it, made people think you learned how to draw to that level (thread title was a bit misleading too) when you actually meant you practiced enough to copy from reference decently (which is also a skill).

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
The understanding of anatomy and partly perspective to pull that pose freestyle without reference is imo quite high. So referencing nearly 1:1 without stating it, made people think you learned how to draw to that level (thread title was a bit misleading too) when you actually meant you practiced enough to copy from reference decently (which is also a skill).
I added a disclaimer. As someone with no artistic ability, I figured as long as it wasn't tracing or direct copying it was fine. I've seen art students draw people for reference darn it.

tiaf

I added a disclaimer. As someone with no artistic ability, I figured as long as it wasn't tracing or direct copying it was fine. I've seen art students draw people for reference darn it.
:blob_cookie: You mean like figure study or recreating an existing photo? Copying a reference 100% is very boring and tedious, but you do gain skills with it. Still boring though.

Thumbs up for your effort. I hate it cause I can’t do it. :blob_sir::blobchristmas:

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery

Nothing wrong about copying when training.

This could help explaining people's reaction to your art:

Drawing from real life takes skills, because there is an infinite number of details to pick out from reality with a very complex hierarchies of lighting effects. The very choices of what to draw and what to depict is an expression of the artist's skill and own interpretation. Normal people generally don't have the ability to extract something aesthetically pleasing from raw reality.

On the other hand, drawing from another drawing that made almost all of the important choices requires a lot less effort. And claiming a work as your own when 80% of the result is, for all intent and purpose, the same as the reference might indeed raise some eyebrows. (Regardless of tracing) Kinda like writing a fanfic without admitting it.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Nothing wrong about copying when training.

This could help explaining people's reaction to your art:

Drawing from real life takes skills, because there is an infinite number of details to pick out from reality with a very complex hierarchies of lighting effects. The very choices of what to draw and what to depict is an expression of the artist's skill and own interpretation. Normal people generally don't have the ability to extract something aesthetically pleasing from raw reality.

On the other hand, drawing from another drawing that made almost all of the important choices requires a lot less effort. And claiming a work as your own when 80% of the result is, for all intent and purpose, the same as the reference might indeed raise some eyebrows. (Regardless of tracing) Kinda like writing a fanfic without admitting it.
I get what you're saying, but I think you're also over estimating what level of copying we're talking about. There's a knee jerk reaction because the pose is the same and they look similar.

Like, I spent well over an hour putting the face together. Picking skin tones out of based on RBG on the website. Creating nice smudges and dirtiness. I redrew that face shape a hundred times. It's really only the same far away. This might just me not getting the standards for what people consider acceptable. Just zoom in anywhere.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Oh I sharpened the chin a bit more to make her look feminine. I'm a dummy.
sharpening the chin usually makes them look more mature. try chubbier cheeks and a rounded chin, and experiment further from there.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
It may be true that you have spent efforts, but I think there is a discrepancy between how the public and you perceive the value of the results.

I believe the public mainly values the ability to provide new aesthetic experience. So when you exposed your drawing without context, the viewer consider that all your skills and effort contributed to this new experience and are thankful (see fig. below).
trinaryoofa.jpg

But when the reference appears without context, it radically reframe the perception of the efforts. Your hours of drawings only contributed to deliver an inferior version of the reference.

Actually, emphasizing how much efforts you spent to butcher a reference worsens the reception (see fig. below).

trinaryoofb.jpg

I believe the reaction would have been positive from the start if you framed your effort to show how far you can go from scratch to reproduce an ideal, because it implicitly convey your hope to deliver new aesthetic experiences of better quality in the future (which is what the public value).

In response, the viewers would be much more understanding about the lackings of the drawing. They would have given you few words of praises and pat to the back to manipulate you into continuing your effort to give them something nice to look at.
trinaryoofc.jpg

Edit: The reaction discrepancy is just a play on the expectations of the viewers.

For instance, a musician is expected to interpret a composer's music rather than composing his own piece and playing it. When someone plays a piece, people will automatically consider the efforts taken to learn and personalize it (which is neither superior or inferior to composing itself) and exclude the musician's contribution on the composition itself. The listeners might go 'WOW' when they reevaluate the fact that the musician is the composer too.

In graphical arts, artists are expected to do the entire process ex nihilo unless stated. But it doesn't remove the value of your efforts itself to make this drawing just like how a musician is working a damn lot. It is only reevaluated in a different way that could be disappointing compared to the first evaluation of the art in the usual context.

---
That's how I imagine the public's mind work. I don't speak for everyone, instead I can only attempt to watch things unfold and explain them afterwards. I don't bargain with the public either, I just shit my art out and whether they like it or not is their problem.

Last edited:

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
WIP First day of work on my MC. Hair is sooooo fun to make. I'm not even kidding.

Everything else is mostly just one color splotches of paint where detail will need to be filled in. And why yes, I didn't base it off of something. You guys seem to have a real fun time playing guess who though, so I'll leave that part to you.

Attachments

• Joshua Day One Headshot.jpg
    Joshua Day One Headshot.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 53

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
WIP First day of work on my MC. Hair is sooooo fun to make. I'm not even kidding.

Everything else is mostly just one color splotches of paint where detail will need to be filled in. And why yes, I didn't base it off of something. You guys seem to have a real fun time playing guess who though, so I'll leave that part to you.
I dread hair ;-;

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Finished (mostly) with my main boy. Gonna touch up the textures on his coat.

The moral of the story is. . . I discovered how to sharpen and that is a dangerousssssss tool.

Attachments

• Joshua Final ish.jpg
    Joshua Final ish.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 43
D

Deleted member 57675

I have no CLUE what that means.
No worries. Ah now ik where he's familiar. I mean she.

Its like Soren from FEH and Itachi had a baby. Has frown lines remind me of Itachi somehow beside Soren's lean figure.

Doesn't really look 16-17, thought look much older with the darker shade around mouth and chin - gives hint of deeper lines on face. But good effort in practice. More than what i can draw.