I summon thee to assist me in world building

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
images - 2021-11-10T123315.367.jpeg

Hello gals, guys and enby pals.
I've gotta dilemma on my hands.
So I've I'm trying to refine the world of my science fantasy story, but I want the guns the world to be less in use and people of the world use non firearm melee weapons, but I stumped in finding a good excuse as to why everyone doesn't show up on the battle field with a clip full of magic bullets and start blasting.
Earlier I thought of a way around by making the powerful people in my world travel at the speed of sound and above and have super durable bodies.
So the guns bullet aren't gonna be effective.
But I'm now in the part of the story where there's army building and wars so I really need to address the gun being not widely as opposed to a my machine throwing discuss and plasma katar's.

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
Why not use guns with specially designed bullets that can release an chemical (or their tip is made out of a sticky goo like material) that dissolves or corrupts the cells it interacts with.

Because the physical and chemical bonds between molecules are different (or they can be with enough random science bl) something sturdy enough to tank a bullet might be easily dissolved with chemicals.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
im gonna provide my two cents before the history/sci-fi buffs come in and slam their gigantic girths on the table and snatch all the fat bitches from us ordinary plebians.

if i were you i'd make up some excuse about there being not enough minerals or resources or what not. maybe the magic rocks/essence/juice/whateverthefuck is a rarity and that they're only reserved to high-level hitmen or bodyguards or private armies at best.

personally, on my story, i just simply make the concept of a projectile non-existent in my universe. i originally wanted a contemporary setting with no guns but on my pursuit to justify it I just made the idea of something shooting a fast, tiny object irrelevant. no one knows what a gun is. gunpowder is considered worthless. fireworks don't exist. there's no such thing as a bow and arrow. not even a catapult exists. the world simply goes on without ever entering the concept of a projectile-based anything. it's a stupid work-around but it makes for a decent inside joke.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Could you give me a brief summary of how little they use guns, I'm not a Warhammer fan
Long story short, man got buttfucked by sentient AI. GW stole the Terminator script and copy paste the entire thing. So now, improvement to tech is BAD, praying to a fictional god of machine GOOD.

Kind of why they have laser tag guns and bolters that shoot explosive soda cans, but nothing stronger.

Here is my plot with guns in medieval times. They exist but like martial arts and magic cultivation techniques, they are heavily suppressed and kept by those with power because the last revolution was by the peasants who found these powers and after that, they know how dangerous these thing are and hypocritically sealed them away while they turned from the oppressed to the oppressors.

Also, gun manufacturing is quite expensive without the right tool and when the higher ups are busy suppressing the industrial revolution, it becomes even more impossible to manufacture these weapons en masses.

Notice that I say en masses. Because in my setting, guns can hurt or even kill pugilist and mages like the common knife when used as a surprise weapon. They are also used by these empowered folks as weapons too, especially when they can have funds and access to the tech. Then the story goes with both the pugilists and mages developing anti-projectile skills, like shifting winds around their bodies to deflect or block bullets that are travelling slower than mach 1 (most old gunpowder weapons' projectiles are that slow and peasants only have access to those) or even straight up out run the bullets.

Or you can copy Dune's body shield that blocks high speed projectiles.

For your setting, you can limit gun uses but not preventing cannons and artilleries, if the caliber is big enough and fast enough, any excuses of not using guns are moot.

Also, like you said for magic bullets, they are expensive and cannot be used extensively in armies. Maybe a trained group of snipers and assassins but not to the common soldiers, they are not worth that much. Also, is your army a bunch of superhumans who can benchpress cars? If yes, then a gun is pointless unless it can provide extra damage. If not, you can state things like battles are determined by the strong freaks and they fear no guns.

Also, Nanolaminate Armor, Phase Shift Armor types that makes small projectiles useless unless at close quarters, defeating the purpose of a gun.

Last edited:

SailusGebel

Could you give me a brief summary of how little they use guns, I'm not a Warhammer fan
They use a lot of guns, a LOT of guns. Still, for some reason, they use swords, maces, etc. Why? I don't even remember why. One of the reasons is, guns can't penetrate the defense of certain enemies. Which is one of the possible answers to your question. Think of a certain defense mechanism that makes guns ineffective in medium and large-scale battles. Like an energy field or some other stuff was designed and guns become absolute>no one produces them. And now every army goes melee, and only rogue ones use guns in one on one fights.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Well
Short research reveals that modern day guns have a muzzle speed of about 4 times (I think) the speed of sound, so even running away from the bullet at the speed of sound it has a relative velocity of over 800m/s. Dodging could be countered with high rate of fire.
And the durable body thing would also have to affect the melee.

Possible solution
The Dune way: Body shields that repel anything with high velocity, but that would also affect the speed of melee. Well, your choice.

ConcubusBunny

Chaotic lewd enby bunny. They/them
Why not use guns with specially designed bullets that can release an chemical (or their tip is made out of a sticky goo like material) that dissolves or corrupts the cells it interacts with.

Because the physical and chemical bonds between molecules are different (or they can be with enough random science bl) something sturdy enough to tank a bullet might be easily dissolved with chemicals.
Yeah, that's great, but I want a way to use less guns not more.
I don't want ways for them to use chemical compounds on the guns what's the point of having a rocket launcher sword then

TotallyHuman

View attachment 10340
So I've I'm trying to refine the world of my science fantasy story, but I want the guns the world to be less in use and people of the world use non firearm melee weapons, but I stumped in finding a good excuse as to why everyone doesn't show up on the battle field with a clip full of magic bullets and start blasting.
Earlier I thought of a way around by making the powerful people in my world travel at the speed of sound and above and have super durable bodies.
But I'm now in the part of the story where there's army building and wars so I really need to address the gun being not widely as opposed to a my machine throwing discuss and plasma katar's.
Solution 1) Make it so ordinary means can't hurt those with magical defences (can't gun down a soldier with a mass-produced ward of defence) and magic guns are too unstable and expensive (enchanting bullets, even en mass is far too costly or/and magic messes with how they fly, making them miss 60% of the time or a gun's enchantment wears out too fast or smth), while close combat arms with enchantments are more effective and don't cost as much as the same amount of bullets.
Solution 2)
There are weapons that can mow muggle like weeds and to protect against it, it's advisable to move in large groups, making some composite mumbo-jumbo that makes groups that are close together formidable and hard to take out with bullets. Then groups must come close to each other and hack away then.

gogo7966

banishing a light and a dark. she/her
hello comrade
the thing about armies is that things cost money and even if a technechly better weapon existed they wouldn't be used because they weren't cost effective to fit an entire army with.
so as long you have a cheaper but similar purpurse thing or a cheap(er) counter mesure to guns then you could just say they are too expensive

Agentt

Thighs
Well, there is a good excuse of saying that the world has ran out of bullets, you can say that the armour is too strong and can be penetrated by swords only,

Or, you can do what Pacific Rim did, and just put lots of explosions and hope audience don't think

Suryae

Dismembered
Maybe the guns in your world are all BB guns since they never discovered gunpowder? BB guns, especially for something like Girardoni air rifle from the Napoleonic era, have delicate parts that are hard to make, so maybe only special forces and assassins uses them because pack a punch but also didn't leave any magic traces (and even sounds)?

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
I don't want ways for them to use chemical compounds on the guns what's the point of having a rocket launcher sword then
My bad for that. Now thinking a better way of using less guns...

Well I have something in my mind.

If armies had the ability to hide their presence on long ranges, guns will become useless.

You cannot shoot something that you don't know where is.

And when both armies got into close range, they will stop being invincible and now there is no need to use guns. (I assume that because you said people on your world has superhuman abilities)

If we use weapon's, they can go invisible to counter that,and if we don't use weapon's they will be visible on close range so they will not need to hide their presence.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Lol so you want us to think of waya to make guns useless.

To me, guns is the future of bows and javelins as long range weaponry is something to be expected. Your concept of a rocket launcher sword supports my point on "larger caliber, faster speed" too. Judging by this, normal guns are pointless but lazguns that fire a concentrated beam of plasma should be able to cut through your superhumans. Also it is fast enough to be unavoidable for them.

But you can chalk the lazer weapons as too expensive, too energy dependent and bulky and hence no armies will use them.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
View attachment 10340
For a gun to be effective, both the bullets and gun need to be ‘enchanted’, and it is impossible to automate that process.
They have found better weapon(s) &/or armor. Guns are no longer effective.
Air resistance eats up bullets when they are shot too fast.
Some sort of mix of 1,2,3.

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
Read golosseum, at the first chapter, Lord President Eternal Putin will explain to you why a fist is better than handheld nuke.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Government regulation, heavy shutdown on firearms, and it being too expensive
View attachment 10340