Intelligence vs wisdom

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Intelligent is knowing the differences between various bees and a wasps.
Wisdom is knowing the bee will leave you alone if you don't mess with it and knowing that the wasp will sting you for just being within its general vicinity.

Also known as book-smarts and street-smarts.

You could also describe intelligence as knowing a lot of information while wisdom is understanding a lot from experiences.

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
If you go by stereotypes…

wise old wizard - seen a lot, lots of experience, knows how to behave in various situations

intelligent young scholar - quick to learn, good grasp of theories and come up with new ones, etc

There’s a reason you hear “wise beyond their years” but not “intelligent beyond their years” but might hear “smart for their age”

wise beyond their years- often used for those “old souls” who seem to grasp concepts that others do not, meanwhile intelligence is often associated with wit, quickness, sharpness, less with experience, so less of an age requirement, but can have to do with cognitive development in children

Wisdom and intelligence can be compared to the of crystallized vs. fluid intelligence debate in psychology

Theirl

SHHS detainee no. 0004
Intelligence vs wisdom

What's the difference between the two, how do you define them ?

Don't copy paste from Google.
inteligence is your ability to learn new things, and to use them. wisdom is your ability to predict future hardships and choose the best outcome based on your past experiences

Echimera

Strength is being able to crush a tomato.
Dexterity is being able to dodge a tomato.
Constitution is being able to eat a bad tomato.
Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad.

Charisma is being able to sell a tomato based fruit salad.

laccoff_mawning

Initium sapientiae timor Domini

I'd associate intellegence with how much you know, and how much information your brain can store.
I'd associate wisdom with the ability to make the right choice/answer based on what you know.

LilRora

Mostly formless
For me, intelligence is the processing of knowledge and wisdom is the application of knowledge (not as skill, because that's one way to understand it, but like connecting theory to real life).

It's hard to explain properly because it's abstract, but it can be imagined pretty simply by comparing to a neural network. An evolving network can process only a certain amount of input before it gets overwhelmed, and that's intelligence. How much you can process and understand. Wisdom is the evolution of the neural network; with time, the theory you learn is connected to more and more closely or loosely related things. The more connections there are, the better you can navigate around a subject and understand its diffeent aspects.

An example of this can be someone seeing fire for the first time. If they're intelligent, they'll be able to analyze how it interacts with the environment and deduce it's dangerous to the touch. Wisdom comes to those that understand a lot about fire, so they know it'll burn wood when it's kept in a flame for a while, and then it'll keep burning and give them heat. An intelligent person may infer this, but they don't know this.

Overall though intelligence and wisdom are connected very closely, and you probably wouldn't talk about one without the other. Trying to define them separately is bound to be inaccurate to some degree, like trying to explain the construction of a bridge without the ground to put it in. You can get pretty far, but you won't have the full picture.

GlassRose

Kaleidoscope of Harmonious Contradiction
In a system setting? Intelligence is thought speed, and typically magic damage, Wisdom is memory and typically mana regeneration.
Outside that, I'd say intelligence is a measure of one's ability to think logically and process information quickly, whereas wisdom is a measure of one's ability to apply their experience to new situations. Wisdom, as taught to me by my Humanities teacher (think English+History), is Knowledge x Experience. Knowing something, and having put it into practice practically.

Last edited: