Interesting tidbits from the internet.

Cold_Sun

#5. Space pens
NASA needed something to write in space with but ordinary pens don't work in space. They considered using pencils. But the graphite in pencils conduct electricity and could conduct short-circuit equipment in space. NASA even bought mechanical pencils to be used in space for 130 USD a piece.​
But thankfully Paul C. Fisher invented the space pen in 1966 which he sold to NASA for 6 USD per pen. it worked in zero gravity and even sub zero temperature!​
NASA spent millions trying to invent a pen to write with in space. One night when both American and Soviet scientists were attending a conference, the NASA guys told they were having problems inventing a pen to use in space. The Soviet scientist replied with a shrug and said "We give them pencils."​
Disclaimer: This has been busted to be a myth.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
Watashi ha enpitsu desu.
Watashi wa empitsu desu.
I am a Gundam pencil!

There is a misconception that Tang was invented for the space program (because its promotion during the space race boosted its popularity).

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
A widely-known fact by now, though still interesting. Without their lovely Nazis scientists under the leadership of Braun, NASA would have made it to the moon in time, or at least certainly not before the Soviets. :blob_reach:

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
#4. You know there is a stereotypical expression that Canadians apologize for everything? Well, I don't know if there is any truth to that, but in 2009 they did pass a law in Ontario, Canada to make sure saying Sorry cannot be used in court as an expression of guilt.
I present to you the APOLOGY ACT, 2009

Interesting how this generated so much intense legal debate that I didn't care much for. As a Canadian I think this is an important law. This world is filled with people who want to sue others. Nothing is redundant in law. If it isn't written in law then sorry very well could be the nail in the coffin that puts some undeserving people in a real bind.

Canadians apologize so much, but it's not because we are constantly blaming ourselves. Much like the Japanese, using the word sorry is a matter of being civil, respectful, and humble to one another similar to acts like holding the door open for strangers. I think a lot of other countries that are less friendly would not fully understand the concept of using words like please, thank you, sorry, excuse me, pardon me, etc. as frequently as Canadians do in everyday interactions. Rather than being civil they would interpret those kinds of words as weakness or admission of wrongdoing. Please would mean that a person is making a petition or request that they are undeserving of. Thank you might mean that they are acknowledging they have a debt to the other party they thanked. Sorry might always be taken as an admission of wrongdoing and guilt.

For example, when interacting with shop clerks is it necessary to use the words please or thank you? Some might say that saying please when you're ordering something or thank you when receiving some is unnecessary because it's the worker's job. To me, not saying please and thank you is more or less rude, like looking down on somebody. I remember the one time I didn't use polite words or talk to a clerk or cashier was because they ignored me. From start to finish they didn't make eye contact even once and their head was turned to the side. It's actually impossible for most people to not even turn their head unconciously towards a customer they are helping. Even if I was actively trying my best to ignore somebody I don't think I could have done it so perfectly and completely as that cashier!

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

Interesting how this generated so much intense legal debate that I didn't care much for. As a Canadian I think this is an important law. This world is filled with people who want to sue others. Nothing is redundant in law. If it isn't written in law then sorry very well could be the nail in the coffin that puts some undeserving people in a real bind.

Canadians apologize so much, but it's not because we are constantly blaming ourselves. Much like the Japanese, using the word sorry is a matter of being civil, respectful, and humble to one another similar to acts like holding the door open for strangers. I think a lot of other countries that are less friendly would not fully understand the concept of using words like please, thank you, sorry, excuse me, pardon me, etc. as frequently as Canadians do in everyday interactions. Rather than being civil they would interpret those kinds of words as weakness or admission of wrongdoing. Please would mean that a person is making a petition or request that they are undeserving of. Thank you might mean that they are acknowledging they have a debt to the other party they thanked. Sorry might always be taken as an admission of wrongdoing and guilt.

:blob_hmm: But ... but ... but. Well, lets just agree that the legislator has in 90% no idea anyway what they are emanating.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
NASA spent millions trying to invent a pen to write with in space. One night when both American and Soviet scientists were attending a conference, the NASA guys told they were having problems inventing a pen to use in space. The Soviet scientist replied with a shrug and said "We give them pencils."Disclaimer: This has been busted to be a myth.
Oh my, I never knew this one was a Myth, pretty amazing~
To me, not saying please and thank you is more or less rude, like looking down on somebody.
I feel the same! Using Please and Thank You are just natural to me, I'd feel really weird not using them! >.<

Cold_Sun

Interesting how this generated so much intense legal debate that I didn't care much for.
Our profession depends on having debates no one wanted. Don't mind us :3

Btw, is it a well-known law in Canada?

Last edited:

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
Our profession depends on having debates no one wanted. Don't mind us :3
Btw, is it a well-known law in Canada?

I would think that my fellow Canadians would have also found it a funny law. I'm a person who doesn't watch much news and is often out of the loop. If I knew that probably many other people would also.

Polarize4777

Cold_Sun

#6. Brittle stars, a species related to starfishes, have no eyes. But research has shown that they can see without eyes through what is called extraocular vision.
Interestingly, a woman by the name of Rosa Kuleshova could apparently see with her fingers and even demonstrated reading printed words with her right hand, even when blinded. In humans this is called Dermo-optical perception, but it is generally chalked up to trickery of some sort.

seeing the world with their finger. Sounds like an interesting magic, no?

AliceShiki

#6. Brittle stars, a species related to starfishes, have no eyes. But research has shown that they can see without eyes through what is called extraocular vision.
Interestingly, a woman by the name of Rosa Kuleshova could apparently see with her fingers and even demonstrated reading printed words with her right hand, even when blinded. In humans this is called Dermo-optical perception, but it is generally chalked up to trickery of some sort.

seeing the world with their finger. Sounds like an interesting magic, no?
Oh, I heard of this one! Like how some blind people can tell which color is painted in a blackboard by touching it or something, it is quite interesting~

It's pretty amazing for sure~

Cold_Sun

#7. Istanbul not Constantinople
When the Ottoman Empire gained control of the city of Constantinople, they renamed it as Istanbul. But European powers continued referring it to as Constantinople.​
So, since 1930 the Turkish Postal Telegraph and Telephone Office started sending back all letters that didn't address it to "Istanbul"​

This song is what made me look into it - The Four Lads - Istanbul (not Constantinople)

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

#7. Istanbul not Constantinople
When the Ottoman Empire gained control of the city of Constantinople, they renamed it as Istanbul. But European powers continued referring it to as Constantinople. This I assume was a little confusing for people and little irritating for the rulers.​
So, since 1930 the Turkish Postal Telegraph and Telephone Office started sending back all letters that didn't address it to "Istanbul"​

This song is what made me look into it - The Four Lads - Istanbul (not Constantinople)

Well, not really. Ottoman rulers referred to them explicitly as Emperors of Rome and heirs of the Byzantine Empire when they communicated with European powers while they presented themselves as Caliphs in contact with Muslims. So it makes sense from that perspective that they carried on the name Constantinople.

Last edited:

Cold_Sun

#8. You can find anything on e-bay

A sea-urchin was listed on e-bay in 2006 which was identified as a newly discovered species!

It's called the Exquisite Urchin.

AliceShiki

No you can't :sweating_profusely:
#8. You can find anything on e-bay

And if you find one, someone come and save me! :blob_teary:
You want me to save a liar?! :blob_shock: