Introverts vs extroverts: Who make the best protagonists?

LilRora

Mostly formless
Both have their pros and cons, but you definitely have much more possibilities as an author if you're writing about an exrovert. Though it's also much harder, especially since most writers are not extroverts.

I personally don't have a preference in terms of reading - I like both as long as they are written well - but I much prefer to write introverts, because I'm one, it's easier, and it's much more reasonable to focus only on certain events if I'm writing an introvert. Writing about an extrovert would require your character to think about others a lot, which doesn't go well with the themes of my stories.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Depends on which one would better fit the themes of your story.

WinterTimeCrime

Aggressive-Loving Snowflake
Most of my stories have been centered around ambiverts or people who can be more extroverted than introverted at different times. This allows for some interesting story progression when they act more human in their engagements, e.g., you never know what they will do.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Depends. Either can be good depending on how they're written. But I'd prefer an introvert

ACertainPassingUser

It really depends on the General Audience of the story itself.

Stick with extrovert protagonist if you want to gain International English reader. It's always the best for most people who never being secluded while suffering depression. They always criticize Introvert as "Loser" and "Stupid Human Being" and then gave less star on review due to that.

I have read lots of review on Novel updates and they criticize lots of them due to protagonist for being loser, not because the story itself have bad Grammar or other.

So just use Confident extrovert that were quiet or talk like confident gentlemen if you want to write stories. It's always how hero was potrated since ancient times, and it still works today.

***​

Usually Introvert in JP LN harem story is always introduced as Introverted Jap boy Hikikomori with no friend at the first appearance. But, after suddenly gain "MaGic" and Having Love interest, Harem, and Gain friends like Extrovert.

If we're going to ignore the bullshit in the plot and just focus on protagonist interaction, it's basically "Extrovert" that became suffer in loneliness due to being incapable to gain friends for "some unknown reason", and then the protagonist gain his old extrovert personality back after being able to "gain girls" and friends. That's my analysis on the protagonist itself.

In my opinion, It's basically trying to give dream for Jap loser Hikikomori for being able to talk and interact with other easily just after magical extraordinary event, No matter how unrealistic it is.

***​

If we want to look actual introvert, take a look at Shinji from Evangelion. Even after all extraordinary status he got and he gain friends, his depression and lonely introverted act is not cured.

And Asuka is still showing extroverted personality even when being Hikikomori in her friend house while playing games.

***​

The conclusion is, both Introvert and Extrovert can be good as long You out effort into writing them.

But, if you want to gain more audience positive response, always see what is popular on the novel scene and just use confident extrovert as a basis in the protagonist.

They hate loser beta male MC, always.

Last edited:

laccoff_mawning

From a purely theoretical POV, I would say an extrovert is probably a better protagonist, if we assume the plot doesn't specifically require either an introvert or extrovert. I think one of the big things in stories is character dynamics and relations. Introverts don't really interact with people much, so writing an introvert would limit a lot of possible flavors in the story. Extroverts however have a lot of potential in this regard.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I prefer extroverted and sarcastic protagonists who are always making fun of people. Introverted protagonists can be good if they're the kind that takes no prisoners and kills.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Make an MC who is in the middle of the spectrum of social skills yet acts like an introvert because of his job.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Writing about an extrovert would require your character to think about others a lot, which doesn't go well with the themes of my stories.
What world do you live in?

I ain't met an extrovert yet who thought about other people. They just do things and couldn't care less about anyone else.

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
According to you, would you prefer an introverted protagonist or an extroverted one, and why? (For writers and readers)
No such thing as an introvert, anyone who says that they are one was just improperly socialized as a child.

With that out of the way, extroverts are a lot more interesting to write. They act, they're not acted upon. It makes things more dynamic.