Is Realistic Novels specifically school setting Romance not your thing?

sm_yesa

I'm just wondering if people is too much into fantasy nowadays that they don't read these types of stories anymore like mine. Are there any other authors who write this kind of story? Just wanted to know my fellow comrades.😁

ACertainPassingUser

Theres a big chance that youre no longer getting reccomendation of school setting romance, or you started to ignore them and focua on something else, therefore those school romance novels started to seems rare to you.

Rokuro-Sama

I'm just wondering if people is too much into fantasy nowadays that they don't read these types of stories anymore like mine. Are there any other authors who write this kind of story? Just wanted to know my fellow comrades.😁

Plenty of people read those novels on this site maybe not as much fantasy, but there are plenty of popular school life novels.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Flip The Script is technically a School Drama.
Except its in an alternate universe with inverted sexual morality.
But it's MOSTLY a school drama.

vzymmer

You can mostly see rom coms or sweet and wholesome cute stories of HS settings, not many of them are realistic enough to be call realistic.

They can't really portray the realism with those too few characters.

I didn't check the drama genre of HS settings so I don't think my opinion is accurate enough though.

Katako

I'm here, comrade.
Well, the realistic part might be a stretch for me.

Pixytokisaki14

Half Kitsune Half Succubus
In my opinion it was one of the most popular genres at the time. Now I'd say it got overused the same way Isekai is now getting overused.

wresch

I write realistic novels. Not easy. You are wrapping fiction around a real world and real people. It is very humbling to think about the folks really going through the story you are developing. I have a model I know I will never equal - Doctor Zhivago. Book and Film about the Russian revolution. Great love story in the midst of incredible events. I don't think it will ever be equaled, but it gives some sense of direction. Worth a look.

Attachments

• 0037321-9b9d71de-705c-488d-9666-a2999061bd20.jpg
    0037321-9b9d71de-705c-488d-9666-a2999061bd20.jpg
    905.2 KB · Views: 12

RiaCorvidiva

Lady with a Caws.
I have written two books that include romance in a school setting, though neither has been published, online or otherwise. Both of them are magic colleges though; high school was not the highlight of my life, and I do not wish to relive the experiences of going through the mundanities of contemporary or urban fantasy.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Write the story you want to read, and someone will love it.

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
What do you mean "realistic" novels? Realistic plot? Realistic characters? Realistic setting?
I've seen people enjoy handwavium brainrot more than the alternative, so there's that. Romance is sketch at best with GL being the most read, and teen angst is not that high on the list of popular themes afaik.
Do keep in mind that adding drama to a story will have the rejects with nonexistent social skills have meltdowns in the comments because they lack the neurons to recognize patterns of social cues and context clues. That will throw anything realistic out the window for them.

Garon

as for me. They limit the author. My first story begins at the Academy, but this is not a school in the usual sense. Everyone there is an adult and behaves like that. Because writing a story about schoolchildren, for me, limits my possibilities for what I want.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
i find romance very dull especially teen romance.. I'm like in my 20s.. lived through it and find it oddly cringe now....

PancakesWitch

not many people that became authors like school settings, even less realistic ones (victims of bully), to me school is just a prison for chidlren

BlackKnightX

I'll be frank, your story doesn't have much appeal. Or, should I say it's too decent for this degenerate den? I'll suggest you some simple fix so you get the picture.

First of all, make the female lead a waifu material. Sell this in the cover and the synopsis (just a little hint is fine). This one is very important.

Second of all, add some mystery to it. Say, this girl who asks the MC out has an ulterior motive. Maybe something related to the MC's past and the reason why he hates women? This will make the readers more curious. Has a lot of potential for more drama as well (be careful with this, though, some drama can be really annoying).

Third of all, add some other girls. I don't mean you should make it a harem, but adding love rivals (strictly female rivals if you write for guys) will spice things up like nothing else.

Lastly, if possible, add some supernatural elements to it. Doesn't have to be completely fantastical, just something out of the ordinary. Think the Bunny Girl Senpai anime and light novel. That story has supernatural elements to it but still grounded in reality. Or another very famous title, the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, also has lots of supernatural elements to it. This one is not necessary but it will boost the appeal a bunch if you add it in.

Well, these changes are still pretty much within the genre or niche you chose to write in, but if you really wanna go all in on the appeal boost, you can join in the bandwagon of fantasy, LitRPG, or Isekai. Love them or hate them, you have to admit these genres are extremely popular on this site. As someone who loves these genres myself, I understand the appeal completely, but if they're not something you love or passionate about, you can ignore them and stick to your things.

Just my opinion, though. Do with it what you will.

Last edited:

sm_yesa

I'll be frank, your story doesn't have much appeal. Or, should I say it's too decent for this degenerate den? I'll suggest you some simple fix so you get the picture.

First of all, make the female lead a waifu material. Sell this in the cover and the synopsis (just a little hint is fine). This one is very important.

Second of all, add some mystery to it. Say, this girl who asks the MC out has an ulterior motive. Maybe something related to the MC's past and the reason why he hates women? This will make the readers more curious. Has a lot of potential for more drama as well (be careful with this, though, some drama can be really annoying).

Third of all, add some other girls. I don't mean you should make it a harem, but adding love rivals (strictly female rivals if you write for guys) will spice things up like nothing else.

Lastly, if possible, add some supernatural elements to it. Doesn't have to be completely fantastical, just something out of the ordinary. Think the Bunny Girl Senpai anime and light novel. That story has supernatural elements to it but still grounded in reality. Or another very famous title, the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, also has lots of supernatural elements to it. This one is not necessary but it will boost the appeal a bunch if you add it in.

Well, these changes are still pretty much within the genre or niche you chose to write in, but if you really wanna go all in on the appeal boost, you can join in the bandwagon of fantasy, LitRPG, or Isekai. Love them or hate them, you have to admit these genres are extremely popular on this site. As someone who loves these genres myself, I understand the appeal completely, but if they're not something you love or passionate about, you can ignore them and stick to your things.

Just my opinion, though. Do with it what you will.
Have you read my story or just the synopsis? I mean because some of what you pointed out is already in the story, fyi
Also my story despite being romance and school setting, attack on titan highly influence it, so yeah some stuff in my story resembles aot writing
What do you mean "realistic" novels? Realistic plot? Realistic characters? Realistic setting?
I've seen people enjoy handwavium brainrot more than the alternative, so there's that. Romance is sketch at best with GL being the most read, and teen angst is not that high on the list of popular themes afaik.
Do keep in mind that adding drama to a story will have the rejects with nonexistent social skills have meltdowns in the comments because they lack the neurons to recognize patterns of social cues and context clues. That will throw anything realistic out the window for

Realistic settings, basically just not fantasy

Aader

I am too old for this shit.
I thought this was about a realistic school story set in roman something, my day is ruined