It's a rant

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I am sick and tired of shitty antagonists trying to make themselves sympathetic with sob stories.

Griffith did no wrong? Fuck off, why can't the bloody narcissistic cripple just off himself like how when a woman got pregnant at work and had to be forcefully laid off? (In case you read the sarcasm too literally, women have something called maternaty leaves, though whether they have shitty bosses is up there...)

Why can't the Hero of Sword just snort his dead ma and pa's ashes and shove his sword down either openings and do a mouth-to-anus trick? At least he is murdering masses now instead of the BS "make people sad" shit before he got his teeth kicked in by emo Spear Hero. In any of the cases, why can't they just all merrily go and die then?!

"Despicable people got pitiful past and pitiful people got despicable past" is always my hated phrase that I got the misfortune to learn during my internet trudging days. The former tries to justify fucktards' behaviour while the latter places the blame on the fucked. I will NOT say that this phrase is entirely right or wrong, cuz context exist and manipulators (like myself) often provide misinformation via half-truths and outright lies.

There is always one thing I can't stand, a cunt doing something wrong and trying to cover the shit with bawling like a bitch and say that his past is at fault.

I, as a reader will then say, "You are right.

And the only consolation for myself is that you have a shitty past and the only regret is why that past did not clothes hanger you then or at the very least, let your head have multiple intimate interaction with hard objects so much so that you can't excuse yourself."

Bloody knickers, at least man up, kick the dog and child with pride, rape the whole village before biting off breasts and making roman candles, summon demons as you manically strangle the hero's soiled wife with glee right in front of his eyes.

KNOW THAT YOU ARE EVIL AND ADMIT THE EVIL!

Fucking wastrels man...

Godammit.

TotallyHuman

Evil characters that don't realise they are evil (but then again, evil is very subjective. Who are you to judge that making and killing orphans just for the kicks is evil? A bit too arrogant of you, eh?) are a bit of favourite of mine.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Evil characters that don't realise they are evil (but then again, evil is very subjective. Who are you to judge that making and killing orphans just for the kicks is evil? A bit too arrogant of you, eh?) are a bit of favourite of mine.
Going by murder = crime, they are evil.

Though sadly, if you put context like "humans vs demons" or "war", then all of a sudden, murder becomes something praised (IF you kill the other guys while under your own team).

It is kind of funny when I can root for Doom Guy going Glory Kills because the demons (sorry, mortally challenged) will kill me.

What is evil but the things that will bring me harm? A little self-centred I know.
Everyone is the protagonist in their own story.
Until someone help you to prematurely end it for you.

Ps. Ningen Fushin no Boukenshatachi ga Sekai o Sukuu Youdesu c33.

Another lame bad guy...

Last edited:

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
I am sick and tired of shitty antagonists trying to make themselves sympathetic with sob stories.

Griffith did no wrong? Fuck off, why can't the bloody narcissistic cripple just off himself like how when a woman got pregnant at work and had to be forcefully laid off? (In case you read the sarcasm too literally, women have something called maternaty leaves, though whether they have shitty bosses is up there...)

Why can't the Hero of Sword just snort his dead ma and pa's ashes and shove his sword down either openings and do a mouth-to-anus trick? At least he is murdering masses now instead of the BS "make people sad" shit before he got his teeth kicked in by emo Spear Hero. In any of the cases, why can't they just all merrily go and die then?!

"Despicable people got pitiful past and pitiful people got despicable past" is always my hated phrase that I got the misfortune to learn during my internet trudging days. The former tries to justify fucktards' behaviour while the latter places the blame on the fucked. I will NOT say that this phrase is entirely right or wrong, cuz context exist and manipulators (like myself) often provide misinformation via half-truths and outright lies.

There is always one thing I can't stand, a cunt doing something wrong and trying to cover the shit with bawling like a bitch and say that his past is at fault.

I, as a reader will then say, "You are right.

And the only consolation for myself is that you have a shitty past and the only regret is why that past did not clothes hanger you then or at the very least, let your head have multiple intimate interaction with hard objects so much so that you can't excuse yourself."

Bloody knickers, at least man up, kick the dog and child with pride, rape the whole village before biting off breasts and making roman candles, summon demons as you manically strangle the hero's soiled wife with glee right in front of his eyes.

KNOW THAT YOU ARE EVIL AND ADMIT THE EVIL!

Fucking wastrels man...

Godammit.
I completely understand what your saying here. It seems like everyone and their mother is trying to write a sympathetic villain, and the main problem here is that people lean into the sympathy a bit too much or the villainy too much.

And either way you are getting a bullshit sob story. A truly sympathetic villain needs to feel real in a way that seems natural, you to show the villain's descent into villain hood.

Either by corruption, manipulation, paranoia, betrayal, slipping sanity, unfortunate circumstances, a slow emotional shift or a mixture of all or some these reasons.

And also they are villains, if their cause or purpose sounds better than the heroes your doing it wrong.

But besides this there are multiple way to continue this villains story, usually by either reforming, becoming irredeemable.

I just wish writers would stop writing villains like they are meant to be felt sad for. They are villains for a reason, don't feel sad for what they already are, feel sad for them because what caused them to turn out this way and how things could have been different.

Last edited:

Varstark

Parallels like Spider-man and Doc Ock illuminate this better. Villains with sympathetic or pitiful backgrounds are, at root, people who lost against life, whether through bad luck and/or their own personality or flaws. I think, eventually, their personality must shine through with how they dealt with their misfortune, but some writers and readers don't quite take the 'self-responsibility' mantra to heart ironically or unironically.

I think the proper one-liner is, "There but for the grace of god go I."

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
That really is a rant. :blob_nom:

I read something recently where someone was lamenting the loss of the Disney Villain Era, lol. They used to be able to kick puppies and steal babies, just to get the Protagonist and the audience to hate them.

Last edited:

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
I do.

As my age grows, I kinda want more internet footprints while at the same time, making a shitton of auxiliary email accounts to not get tracked back.

A bit like being a vain POS who would yell at people for trying to find me.
Well someone has to rant here.

Or else the forums get taken over by people that think it's so quirky that they're lazy and don't post chapters.

Or even better the people that keep asking where their chapter on recent updates is 5 seconds after uploading it.

LordJoyde

This rant is the reason why I wrote Heroine? Yeah, no.

Been noticing this for a while but you and I have fairly similar thought process XD

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
That really is a rant. :blob_nom:

I read something recently where someone was lamenting the loss of the Disney Villain Era, lol. They used to be able to kick puppies and steal babies, just to get the Protagonist and the audience to hate them.
I think I slammed my head hard on the table when Maleficent got intro-ed.

A witch with Angelina Jolie face that I can masturbate to like the old hentai checker game? Yes! Give the villain a reason to be bad? Fuck!

Cruella I did not even bother.

VoxPopulist

Cultivation novels. I have tried to read so so so many, yet they all have the exact same shit simply renamed.

I'm serious. Try and read a cultivation novel and stop when you hit one of the following phrases.

'Face slap' 'Sect Elder' 'Young Master' 'Harem' 'X Amount of Years' 'X Strongest Cultivation Technique' 'Jade-like skin'

It doesn't exist. You can't get four chapters into one of these shitty copy-paste novels without hitting at minimum three of these things. All the villains are either nonsensical or trying to squeeze a random sob story, all the protags are either 'insert shitty amorphous blob of a person' or 'generic over confident asshat who wins in the end'.

Cultivation novels are 99% just garbage.

Don't even get me started on the average 'System' novel man. Combine the two and you'll be lucky to get a story written by anything more than a third-grader.

Unless it's written by a person who you can verify has more than three brain cells, don't read cultivation or LitRPG/System novels. A time sink not worth its weight in pages.

A great indicator if a book is going to be passable or not is looking at the amount of dropped or paused readers, or readers to favorites. If a cultivation novel has 50 chapters and 10 favorites, just don't even try it.

Varstark

Don't even get me started on the average 'System' novel man. Combine the two and you'll be lucky to get a story written by anything more than a third-grader.

Unless it's written by a person who you can verify has more than three brain cells, don't read cultivation or LitRPG/System novels. A time sink not worth its weight in pages.
What I read: The Gamer x [Insert random genre]
What I wanted: With great power comes great [X].
What I got: [Bigthicc] levelled up! He learnt [Greater Twerk]! He gained the title [Soulless Grind-Log With No Story]!

LynaForge

I completely understand what your saying here. It seems like everyone and their mother is trying to write a sympathetic villain, and the main problem here is that people lean into the sympathy a bit too much or the villainy too much.
Maybe, but as an old-timer myself, I tend to blame this 'soft' generation. People feel sorry for themselves and unfortunately, project that onto their characters. More than once (and I SINCERELY mean this), I've seen characters both in mainstream media and lit that has someone do something awful, then we're supposed to feel sorry for THEM having to live with the guilt of what they've done.

eff. that.

A good example is Wanda Vision (which was a half-decent show).

But this crazy b*tch literally held a town captive and totured them (even after realizing what she was doing) and then had the NERVE to weep that she had to let them go because the jig was up. Like WUT?

Like I said, it's the new generation. Ever realize that there's no stories about coping with things in a healthy way anymore? Just extremes??

Okay, old woman rant over. 👵

Last edited:

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Maybe, but as an old-timer myself, I tend to blame this 'soft' generation. People feel sorry for themselves and unfortunately, project that onto their characters. More than once (and I SINCERELY mean this), I've seen characters both in mainstream media and lit that has someone do something awful, then we're supposed to feel sorry for THEM having to live with the guilt of what they've done.

eff. that.

A good example is Wanda Vision (which was a half-decent show).

But this crazy b*tch literally held a town captive and totured them (even after realizing what she was doing) and then had the NERVE to weep that she had to let them go because the jig was up. Like WUT?

Like I said, it's the new generation. Ever realize that there's no stories about coping with things in a healthy way anymore? Just extremes??

Okay, old woman rant over. 👵
As far as I understand the belief it's about seeing others as feeling humans.

Which, in their perspective, would make you the unhealthy coper who seeks to satisfy her grievances by projecting them onto standins for certain demographics that are designed to be as remorselessly hate able as possible.