Love is war

minacia

perpetually sour
Okay, so imagine that you’re writing a story.

Plot-sama told you that your hero must be shipped to the villain by the end of the story.

How do you achieve this?

Why did the hero fall in love with the villain (and vis verse)?

Have you ever ended up liking someone that you initially hated? What caused your change in opinion?

What makes someone likable or unlikable? Is it possible to make an unlikable person more likable by giving them more positive traits on top of negative ones?

Suppose that you are starting with the villain of any story (or your story). How would you make it so that they are shipped to your protagonist?

OkuraTsukiko

[Peace was never an option]

Plot-sama told you that your hero must be shipped to the villain by the end of the story.

How do you achieve this?

Have you ever ended up liking someone that you initially hated? What caused your change in opinion?

What makes someone likable or unlikable? Is it possible to make an unlikable person more likable by giving them more positive traits on top of negative ones?

Suppose that you are starting with the villain of any story (or your story). How would you make it so that they are shipped to your protagonist?

Probably that the hero and villain went to the same magical school together and created a bond. It's more of a betrayal and trust that happened which will be resolved in the ending.

Probably the hero encourages the villain to be more confident in themselves and try to strengthen themselves. That's the villain's POV btw, but for the hero, it would have been because the villain was such a gentle soul at the beginning.

As for falling in love, not really. I don't really hate on someone unless I have specific reasons. So in conclusion, I would hate someone because I don't want to encounter them or give them a chance. You get the idea

I think a person is more likeable if they are more empathetic or sympathetic. Like they would be there to comfort you when you're having a hard time. It depends on which positive traits the person is given. If it beats their negative traits then they have a chance

The hero would have approached the seemingly frail villain at first and befriended them.

Leti

How do you achieve this?
Simple. Add a plot twist where the main love interest turned out to be the villain all along.

The hero didn't know their love interest is the villain. They were really good at hiding their identity. The villain pretended to fall in love with the hero to use them but ended up falling in love for real.

Yes. I used to hate myself but it changed when I saw myself smiling in the mirror. I must protect that smile! It looks good on me!

It's a matter of perspective.

TheOneWho

Hmm, this is a tough one. I love a good enemy to lover story but I could never write one myself. I'm better at writing a hero being corrupted/betrayed then gets together with the villain. But I feel that doesn't really count.

In my opinion for this to be a true hero x villain they have to stay as heroes/villains. They can't be redeemed or corrupted, the villain stays the villain and the hero stays as a hero. Well, it would be interesting to see a hero turn villain and villain turn hero get together.

Either way, I think the best way to do a true villain x hero is to have them want the same thing. But can's see eye to eye on how they can get that thing. For example, both might want to change the world, the hero might go with it by trying to lead by example, while the villain thinks the only way is to rule the world with an iron fist. This lets them have something in common but still be on completely opposite sides.

I'm not sure how to go from there, which is why I never got to writing an actual story with the concept. So I'm interested in how others would go about it.

Hope this is what you were asking, if not sorry.

Vaxel00

Very simple.

Set up a scenario where the villains and the protagonist have to coexist without the possibility of them ripping each other apart.

In most stories it's a troupe that the hero/heroine is naive and see the world in black or white absolutes, while the villain (unless it's a cartoonish stereotype) see the world in the spectrum and is more of a machiavellian realist.

Use this scenario to force the hero/heroine to empathize with the villain. What makes someone likeable or unlikable is just the similarities they have with you. Opinions, morals, hobbies and experiences will make you like someone as long as they align with yours in some way so trying to force someone to be likeable by giving them positive traits is not going to work.

For example, Jesus. If you ask any catholic or christian jesus is a martyr that died for our sins and was all good and the king of kings. However if you ask me he was a narcissist with messiah complex and the biggest loser recorded in history, not a good role model to follow.

If I started with the villain, actually that would be kind of a self insertion.

Valmond

How do you achieve this?

1. Simply put, have the lead as the true enemy. 🐕

2. Is it possible?

Well, this depends on the context. As well as what leads to the scenario. How I specifically did my own. The lead is the true enemy. However, the readers does not know this until midway of the first book. Confirming around 3/4 of the first book.

After this point, it is the context around it. Where the second book shows what made the lead the way they are. Which is the beginning of the story. The third book ultimately concludes on how they became the true enemy. Through it all, it was covering how the characters are best of friends. At the same time, showing how different they are in their approach to solutions. A story of morals in short.

This is the really off chance that you are going with a complicated plan. 🤨

Other than a specific scenario like this. It is very unlikely otherwise, unless that villain has a moral ground that is recognizable. It ain’t gonna go over well.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

How do you achieve this?

Hero rapes villain by the end. There. Solved. Am I not genius?

D

Deleted member 29316

How do you achieve this?

1). Because she saw something that is worthy about the villain's cause?

2). Yep. But she hates my guts, so the only thing I received from her was a slap on my face.

3). Attitude. Attitude first before everything else.

4). Every person is a complicated being. In every bad person, there exists a good side on him/her that the one who loves him/her can only see. So perhaps, I'd make it so that the hero(ine) is the only one that could see that positive quality in him.

D

Deleted member 29316

>.< sorry if this is a super personal question, but why would somebody hate you?
Well, I'm an asshole back then. Felt like I'm superior from everyone else, and I'm pretending to be someone I am not. :blob_sweat: :sweating_profusely:

When I confessed to her, she slapped me hard. Those were the days...

JayDirex

How do you achieve this?

I've actually used villain and hero "catch feelings" for each other in my story lines because I'm a huge fan of Mayadere trope:

A mayadere (まやデレ) type refers to a character who is often a dangerous antagonist of a series, but switches sides after falling in love with another character.

Think Esdeath from Akame Ga Kill or Temari from Naruto (loosely)

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I've actually used villain and hero "catch feelings" for each other in my story lines because I'm a huge fan of Mayadere trope:

A mayadere (まやデレ) type refers to a character who is often a dangerous antagonist of a series, but switches sides after falling in love with another character.

Think Esdeath from Akame Ga Kill or Temari from Naruto (loosely)
Aw yeah, Esdeath baby. She best girl of the series

DeirdreH

How do you achieve this?

Just because two people are in an enemy relationship does not mean they need to hate each other.

There are many examples in history and fiction of two combatants on opposites of a dispute developing mutual respect and even admiration. The other side becomes a worthy foe, rather than a hated enemy.

The worthy foe still must be defeated, of course, because the fact that the two people stand on opposite sides of the conflict is independent from their ability to appreciate the good qualities of their opponent.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'd flat-out refuse to have my protagonist fall in love with a villain. That being said, there's a difference between "villain" and "rival" people don't often see. Just because someone is an antagonist does not make them a villain. A rival, on the other hand, naturally provides the protagonist with motivation to be better. Rivals shape each other, and that can eventually bring them together.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
Similar to what someone said before, I'd make it so they fall in love under a false pretense or something. Neither intend to directly hurt the other at the time but just happened to end up together like that. Something like SpyXFamily except direct enemies. Of course there'd be the hurdle once they both figure out, but I can always go like, uhh "We're always wearing a mask around people, it just depends on which mask you're wearing" .
Basically, it starts pretty stale because they're faking it hard but as their raw personality seeps through they get along better. Or, not better, but closer.
I wouldn't change the villain from a villain though. Kinda like, they're a villian through and through but ya' love them anyways. Enemies in the day, lovers literally anytime else.
Speaking of which, wouldn't it be cool if there was a story where everyone played their roles, then as soon as it was over all hard feelings are left aside? Like the demon king and the healer getting drinks or something.
I feel like I've said "or something" a lot. Whatever, I'm tired.