Making Anime references in your novel

imouthaloliocn

iloveπŸ’’πŸ’’ Uuoohhhhhhhhh😭😭😭😭😭 γ†γ†γ†γŠγŠγŠγŠγŠγŠγ‚γ‚γ‚γ‚οΌοΌ

JayDirex

Whatever "Allusions" (which are what references in fiction to other works outside of the novel are called) you write, DATES YOUR WORK.

Five years from now your cute reference will seem cringe as whatever anime you alluded too will have been long forgotten. This is the same for other forms of work. But, knock yourself out. It's your story.

But five years from now, you'll remember that I told you :blob_uwu:

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Referencing stuff like Kamen Raider or Gundam is pretty much free real estate, tho. Same with Pokemon, DBZ, or Ghibli stuff. The really old classics might also work with a certain crowd.

Fate series references might also go strong enough for the next few years to make them iconic enough for future generations (in case FGO gets shut down somewhere in the next few hundred years).

Jemini

I think that making references to other works is fine so long as it isn't a direct reference but a reference that only those who know of the anime/game/novel/manga would get. Like an inside joke or something.

its cringe

I actually stuck a name drop for kono-suba into my "Key to the Void" series. It worked because it was a quick name drop to draw a parallel to the fact that a goddess got pulled into the reincarnation by the actions of the protagonist, and it passed the "cringe" test because it was said by a character I was trying to portray as a cringe weeb type character.

In other words, cringe is actually an asset if you embrace it and turn it into characterization.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
I referenced death note and Re Zero in my stories, but that's all because my MC is a weeb. Of course a weeb would make anime references.

EternalSunset0

Not direct references, but generic enough terms and descriptions that select weebs could make a connection to. Something like me referencing Mahouka through this line:

"One of your favorites when we were in middle school! Oh, oh, it's got that cool protagonist who uses guns and has a sister who's super into him!"

JayDirex

Not direct references, but generic enough terms and descriptions that select weebs could make a connection to. Something like me referencing Mahouka through this line:

"One of your favorites when we were in middle school! Oh, oh, it's got that cool protagonist who uses guns and has a sister who's super into him!"
I also go that route. Vague reference without dropping a name and leaving it generic enough so that a non-weeb can get that it's an anime reference.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
To be clear, references and homage is not illegal at all. You can include them as much as you want and the risk of being brought to court over it is zero. What you shouldn't use however, is trademarks. Trademarks are the names of the anime or things they sell. For example, referencing Kentaro is not a problem, but saying Fist of the North Star could get you in trouble with the Japanese owner of the franchise. But this is just an example, nobody has ever gotten in trouble for mentioning Fist of the North Star.

What you should be worried about is your reference being cringe or unhelpful. For example, Ai-chan can write about 'a certain blue earless cat robot that pulls out future tools from his pocket', but it seems Americans do not get access to Doraemon manga and therefore most Americans wouldn't understand the reference.

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
I sometimes use titles of a few anime to add a little realism but i put an asterisk over it as to not get in trouble with copyright issues. I saw this move on Tonikaku Cawaii where a chapter had a ton of asterisks referencing a lot anime and western media.

MaouRazonica

I add some but describe them in very vague ways like two characters arguing whether to kill goblins, and one of them saying that the goblins are all rapists, while the other says that goblins builds town, that's what they do.

Clori

I see it as any reference to a piece of work: If it has a reason to be there and your audience is likely to pick it up and make some relevant connection, it is perfectly fine.

Though I dislike throwaway references, like where your character randomly mentions "Hey I like X", then use it for absolutely nothing but low effort points. if you reference a work, make it connect with your story in some way and ideally avoid being too blunt about it. Your reader can get situations like "Hey, they referenced X, wait is the situation going to turn into something similar to what happened in that anime?".