Motivation to Write?

AkalE

I am generally curious about what makes authors continue posting new chapters.

Generally whenever I've spoken to any author, they generally say they have a story to share and a world to show. But more realistically what motivates you post chapter 2, or even chapter 102?

For me, I generally write to escape the boredom of irl. Imagining about a fantasy world is fun and gives me an escape. But that's just for me and I don't share them. I don't want anyone asking why this happens or feel the pressure to keep posting new chapters.

Webfics are quite a new phenomenon relatively. I see some authors make their livelihood off patreon, while others have a generally popular presence in the scene despite not making a living out of it.

As a webfiction author, do you aspire to go fulltime? What keeps you going (readers, patreon, comments) and motivates you to post these amazing stories?

D4isuke

Depressed Pervert who loves writing good smut.
I wish I would ignore the statistics, but the trending list sometimes make me feeling envious about it. I keep writing every day and night (without weekends, since those days are my rest, yet busy days).

Most authors are lucky to be recognized since they had much better content than me, and I don't know since criticisms hit me hard. I don't know what to do, it makes me that I want to go for Literature degree other than IT degree since I also want to be game developer (my very first priority), and writing is the part of being indie game developer. I want to feel independent without need of help, but sometimes I have to.

I read light novels like Re Zero and as a fan of it, I also inspired by the works of Tappei Nagatsuki.... I admired the story so much and also him as an author. Being a future light novelist (I think), I pledged to make my story be visualized... if I am lucky.

And right now, I'm hooking to be writer, and that's how motive works for me, so there are times that I might be going fulltime.

ForestDweller

I both have a story to share while at the same time desiring interaction with my readers (positive ones, of course). If I felt I wasn't getting enough appreciation, I probably would stop writing if I were to be honest. Already did once with an old story not posted here.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Generally whenever I've spoken to any author, they generally say they have a story to share and a world to show. But more realistically what motivates you post chapter 2, or even chapter 102?

For me, I generally write to escape the boredom of irl. Imagining about a fantasy world is fun and gives me an escape. But that's just for me and I don't share them. I don't want anyone asking why this happens or feel the pressure to keep posting new chapters.

Webfics are quite a new phenomenon relatively. I see some authors make their livelihood off patreon, while others have a generally popular presence in the scene despite not making a living out of it.

As a webfiction author, do you aspire to go fulltime? What keeps you going (readers, patreon, comments) and motivates you to post these amazing stories?
Readers keep bitching at me to make new chapters and im too nice ro refuse

C.Sunlight

I just want the satisfaction of completing a story for once. There's also a little bit of me that feels incredibly satisfied to create characters and develop them through their various stages of life. (If you can't tell, I love character development. Perhaps a bit too much... Haha)

Of course, there's the readers. I probably would have eventually finished the story, but I wouldn't be forcing myself to write 3 days a week. I've got some awesome people on the ship I've built, and they constantly give me feedback and call be on my bs at times.

So the desire to complete something, general love, and support pretty much sums it up.

Mihou

Firefly—
What is motivation, is that edible? Where can I buy it?

- My motivation to write is simply my desire to write and also the fact that there are people who actively read your series; motivation can come in many forms, but that motivation can also be drained. My tip is to not think too much about your statistics. It is fine to think about your statistics, but don't place it above your original motivation. Don't let statistics drown your motive to write, remember, there are people who like your series, you can't make everyone like your story. Well, I hope I make sense. >w<

Last edited:

Alienix

I decided to write when I first finished reading coiling dragon. That time I thought. What a journey. Is there more?

Then, I started to learn writing in english because people of my country only liked romance and they always freaked out when they knew there's a story that had 1000 chapters.

Not gonna lie, my english is still suck, thou. I still have so much to learn.

That was my motivation then.

My motivation now is I miss good xianxia and xuanhuan. I want to make these genres alive.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Activism. I have a message I not only believe in but also live. I've been blessed with so much love, and people need to see what is possible. My goal is to make the world a more accepting place for polyamorous people and prostitutes.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I wish I would ignore the statistics, but the trending list sometimes make me feeling envious about it. I keep writing every day and night (without weekends, since those days are my rest, yet busy days).

Most authors are lucky to be recognized since they had much better content than me, and I don't know since criticisms hit me hard. I don't know what to do, it makes me that I want to go for Literature degree other than IT degree since I also want to be game developer (my very first priority), and writing is the part of being indie game developer. I want to feel independent without need of help, but sometimes I have to.

I read light novels like Re Zero and as a fan of it, I also inspired by the works of Tappei Nagatsuki.... I admired the story so much and also him as an author. Being a future light novelist (I think), I pledged to make my story be visualized... if I am lucky.

And right now, I'm hooking to be writer, and that's how motive works for me, so there are times that I might be going fulltime.

Don't be depressed. It is a hard fight down here and you are by far not only one that would love to make some voodoo dolls for the top trending stories.:blob_reach: Trust me, many feel similar about it, and I am sure your writing will improve. After all, you have only started recently while many on this site werite since way longer.

Zeeksi

My motivation to keep writing is simply; how can I think about the cool parts of the story when I haven't written the boring parts that flesh everything out?

You really have to be able to motivate yourself to keep going at the start when you don't get an instant hit 300+ readers chapter 1.

Seyer_Jad

My motivation is simple, I like to write and seeing others enjoy the story really brightens up my day, a comment or two saying they like the story is pretty satisfying especially when you worked hard on the story 😁

D

Deleted member 29316

Well, my motivation to write is mostly about finishing something, as well as enjoy writing and see someone else enjoy my stories.

That's why I'm pretty serious about receiving ratings and reviews. And yes, I do interact with my readers for as long as they don't ask for spoilers.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts

you remember that feeling you get on posting the first chapter for your story for the first time? you remember seeing your views jump from 0 to 200+, or that first favourite you got, or that first time your reader count finally broke above 10?

I'm still looking to relive the sensation again

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
I have a message to share, that's my main motivation, my source of ideas and inspiration.

For external factors, I do want to become pro and make a living out of my stories.
Positive feedback motivated me a lot in the beginning, because it's my first story. But I would continue to post it as long as I have readers, which I didn't get on Wattpad and I don't update my story there.

to make me feel good and blow off some steam, i guess.

there's also this crazy thought, if i could dedicate myself to it, all of my dreams will come true, no matter how impossible it may seem.

besides, i've been in it for more than ten years already, i'm too deep in this shit to back off xD

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Well, I love writing for a long time now, ever since I started playing on Roleplays and stuff, so that's a big plus... But in all honesty, my motivation is that I wanna make a living from my writing, so I do my best to write in order to make this dream a reality~

So... Well, I write because I wanna make a career from it~

SwirlyUnicorn

vous me voyez
For me, I think writing a story is like raising a child. There's this one author who said that if you didn't finish writing your story it is like abandoning your child. I know sometimes, we doubt ourselves but it is part of the challenge.

Elim

When it comes to motivation to write, it boils down to two major things.

1. Wanting to write a particular scene that happens in my story. With this, I push myself as I want to make that a reality.

2. Readers. The more the better and the opposite happens if there are less. Having an audience plays a huge role (at least for me) in writing as I want my readers to enjoy the story I have made. I want them to give feedback, ask questions, and all that jazz. Especially so, when I've spent months in the making of my story.

Nanakawaichan

For me, I think writing a story is like raising a child. There's this one author who said that if you didn't finish writing your story it is like abandoning your child. I know sometimes, we doubt ourselves but it is part of the challenge.
Same as me. I don't want to leave them. I want to be a responsible creator. At least I want to write it to the end and give them a proper ending.

I remember I made my first story in a format.
A:
B:
A:
B:

With cliché and nonsense plot.

My first community, wrote their story with character introduction using artist / anime images from the internet. Explaining their character's expressions with more pictures from the internet and considering uploading music from YouTube in the middle of the story is normal.

Even though I haven't been as successful as other authors, I'm glad at least the current me is better than the old me. That's my first step.

Edit: Wai! I'm an active member now. Yay! Yay!

Last edited: