Name of clothes

Agentt

Thighs
Slave bikini
^p^)b

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
I do have a tendency to write what my characters are wearing piece by piece. So, this thread will come in handy.
You can always use alternative words, like instead of clothes you can say "attire".
These are some things I thought of (for both genders but mostly women):
  • Stockings (basically socks, but they go up to the knee)
  • Socks (of course)
  • Scarf (this one is mostly used in Winter)/Ascot (this one is basically a scarf made of thin material that you can use every day, not just Winter)
  • Jewelry/Adornments (like necklaces, earrings, bracelets, rings...)
  • Dresses (Flowery dress, Basic dress, Wrap dress, Shirt dress, Strapless, Slip Dress, BallGown, Bodycon, Wedding Dress...)
  • Jeans (Tight Jeans, Loose Jeans, Dress Pants, Shorts, Leggings...)
  • Shirts / T-Shirts (Long Sleeve Top...)
  • Hats (Straw Hats, Cap...)
  • Overalls (basically a dress but with trousers, a lot of women use it nowadays)
  • Pajamas / Nightgown
  • Apron
  • Underwear (Bra, Panties, Boxers, Thong...)
  • Hoodies/Sweater
  • Swimsuit (Bikini)
  • Coats (Overcoat, Raincoat, Cardigan...)
  • Uniforms
  • Vest
Alright, I think you got the gist of it! One good way to make the reader understand what you mean in a very poetic way is using real objects/things as a description., for eg:
Flowery Dress: The lady's attire was nothing more than a beautiful emerald dress covered in amethyst flowers, portraiting the life of spring.
Hope it helped! :blobtaco:
I like the sound of this from your explanation. Gives it a more descriptive vibe other than just naming what the character is wearing on the spot.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
If you want to add some detail, patterns and sleeves might work well. Like, for patterns, prints (the infamous leopard one, floral or botanical, animal) and dyes (think batik dyes) would come to mind and you can use all kinds of shapes (geometrical for example). Sleeves can also vary a lot: puffed sleeves, butterfly sleeves, bell sleeves, cuffed sleeves, Juliette sleeves, split sleeves ... It is a bit similar to how both dresses and skirts can have shapes like the A-Line or mermaid just that it's specific to the sleeves.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
Its making me confused
the mystical world of women's clothing and the many and varied terminology is what's confusing. especially with some things that have different names depending on the region of the world.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Something else I just thought of: If you don't want to go with individual pieces of clothing, you could also go with an overall style or sense of aesthetics. Like, Y2K fashion, rockabilly, vintage, grunge ... Here's a link to a site that lists some with pictures but there's a ton more you could find if you look further: https://sewguide.com/fashion-styles/

Herz

I am disappointed by the lack of scui-fi jumpsuits. Like the one below that has a convenient flap for when you need to use the restroom. I believe it can also be referred to as a onsie.

View attachment 7997
I couldn't quite understand if you were joking or not. However, let me just remind you that this is probably designed for another reasen.

Mechaphobic

I couldn't quite understand if you were joking or not. However, let me just remind you that this is probably designed for another reasen.
Your right, sometimes when I have sat in my leather chair for too long, I just want a way to air out the swamp, how very convenient! :)

Walk

So, usually this isn't important, but I still wanted a list of clothes.

I mean, for men it is simple,
Casual
Formal
Formal casual
Tuxedo
In underwear
Naked
Shirt and pants

But when it comes to women clothing, I can only write stuff like,
Dress
Frilly dress
Plain dress
Colourful dress
Skirt

So, wanna name some?
You could also focus on describing how clothes look and/or feel. Take advantage of using adjectives, similes, and metaphors.
"His old rusty look made even his movement appear as stiff as metal."

You could also cut out the excess stuff by associating with an era: "60s formal/party/home," "Modern," "Ancient,"
Or place/region: "Eastern, Western, Southern, Northern,"
Readers can fill in the blanks with their imagination.

Last edited: