Names of energy / power source used for wielding magic or psychic abilities?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I like to keep the term varied. The elves will call it "magic" but the beastkins will call it "inner power" or something. The names will reflect on the species' philosophy. Like the more academic wizards will call them "mana" and attribute realms or phases for em. It's an extra layer of world-building to play with, imo.

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
Anima, realm energy, well these are the terms used in my story.

JayDirex

and for the gods and the like I tend to use CELESTIAL energy (that's for celestial beings. Things not really born to man)

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Depends on the story needs. Either the magic system shapes the setting, or the setting shapes the system. Your call.

For example:
I have an over arching nebulous concept of "SOUL STRENGTH." Which is a logarithmic scale. So a 5 is 10 times that of a 6. So I can have someone be a 5.4 and a 5.5 and it actually is a substantial difference. This is basically your underlying power level.

On top of that we have the local magic rules which are dependent on location relative to the dark matter reefs (which inhibit magic), memetic feedback from the local populace, as well as if the universe in question has Time. Time being an energy source, not a fundamental aspect of reality. Some universes just have a rate of change, where as some have chronotons. If there is no time, then there is no past or future, only the omni-present now. Universes with time have all sorts of options other universes don't.

Once I know the aspect of the particular universe, I narrow it down to the planet and determine if the laws of magic were established upon creation, by the gods, or evolved over time, or a combination of the three. Then, I figure out if the system has sections, like typical Arcane/divine/psionic divide, or if it's spirit based, or if magic that only affects your own body is a thing (aura).

Once I have the mechanics, then I work out the society that has the magic. A practical society will just call it "Water Magic" or Aura Control" Then if it is OLD, then I mangle the terms. Water Magic becomes Wama. Aura Control becomes Auco. If it's a pretentious society with an arrogant nobility, then maybe it's The Aquanautic Arts. Translating the name into an obscure language works as well. I once named all the powers of a magic system in Conganese.

Just remember, there is no species of fish named FIsh, there is no type of plant named plant, there is no fetish called normal, and there is no magic system called power.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Nuclear, nukular, nucleus, cosmic energy, demonic power, firepower.

TroubleFait

Stamina.

The way I see it, magic or psychism or whatever, demands nothing more than good imagination, and extreme concentration. There is no mana pool, there is no magical substance. It just doesn't mesh with my understanding of physics, it doesn't make any sense.
So instead, it's just a result of good old thinking. Maybe the brain doesn't naturally work well enough for stable magic, so they take drugs to put themselves in the right state of mind. In which case well, you can only go so long before you damage your brain. Maybe it's just really damn tiring.

I heavily recommend you watch Youjo Senki. Never, as far as I know, did they mention mana. Magic and spells have an infinite supply. But, you can't do much without a computational orb, a mechanical computer calculating half the spells for you. They often take stimulant spells that act like amphetamines to perform better on the battlefield, and each use of magic requires effort. They really can't be at it all day.

I really dislike the idea of a power source used for magic. It's not magic in that case, it's another application of science. How come scientists don't study it like they do for electricity and gravity?
Nah, magic really is supernatural. There is no material source.

AnUnknownMan

What do you need?
One universal energy or distinct energies
Does it come from man, get stolen from beast, come from items, or does it just flow through man, or not even usable by man?
Do you lift with your mind, light fires with your hands, or teraform with your breathing.
Does it come with a physical cost, monetary cost, mental cost, contractual cost, or do you just use it as you please?
Do you receive passive benefits?

Amok

grblbrbl
kinesis, soulwell, dimensional eddies, lifesource, godsholm, whispers, shadows, spice, tyrant's gift, world tree.