New novel chapters

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
I'd like to ask what purpose do you have when it comes to uploading? Is it to give readers a nice chunk of the story but don't want to feel like you are required that you have to write a lot of chapters? I'd say you can just write like 2000 words and that would suffice as an introduction. Do you want to get exposure? Your story will be featured in the front page on the Latest Series section for some time, so people will eventually find your story. Are you just dying to tell your story, or are you patient enough to wait? If you are patient, then by all means just upload one chapter, but if you are eager, then I would suggest you spend some time writing it the best chapters you can before submitting them all at once.

It's all about what you want from the story, what you want to share with us, and how you want to present it.

The_Everdistant_Utopia

Mapmaker | Writer | Lorekeeper
I don't have much advice to give as I don't really write that much, but I'd say in general having a prologue should be your basics. From that, it's up to you how many chapters you find appropriate and feel comfortable releasing at the start.

A good metric to know how many chapters you need to release is trying to see how far into the story you feel the readers will start to get interested in the rest of it. A prologue is your basic hook, your first chapters should be your line and sinker.

JK-Sama

This advice is influenced by Royal Road but it's still applicable here. On there it's beneficial to post a chapter a day or two at different hours daily until you exhaust your backlog, as that might increase your chances of exposure by being in the latest update list.

I've heard advice that you should have somewhere around 70k words worth of chapters as a buffer for yourself, which can be like 40+ chapters or so. It's not necessary but it helps, or at least that's the idea.

I'd also seen readers/authors here, and Royalroad suggest that people won't even glance at your fiction until it has at minimum 20 chapters. Not the norm I'd say, but people do consider it.

And, well, with consistent releases, I say that's the idea because in practice it doesn't always work. You can be consistent in scheduling and still almost have no following. Bottom line is, majority of it just simply comes down to luck and rather or not people like your writing. Genre/tag does help, you could write a cute shipcore or isekai litrpg and whatever is possible and still not get a ton of readership.

I scheduled twice a day daily releases that ran its course for a month and a half. But since my writing isn't particularly good early on, and I'm writing a non-existent niche genre, it didn't work out for me in comparison to bigger fictions. But I managed to get a small following along the way which I say is kinda impressive in its own way. I gained close to 100 readers over a 4month period, where it took me almost 12 months to get 160 folllows on its original platform(royalroad).

I would say success is what you make of it, but even I doubt that statement sometimes. Just keep being persistent and it'll pay off someday (probalby) :blob_hide:

Lloyd

Professional Writer
This advice is influenced by Royal Road but it's still applicable here. On there it's beneficial to post a chapter a day or two at different hours daily until you exhaust your backlog, as that might increase your chances of exposure by being in the latest update list.

I've heard advice that you should have somewhere around 70k words worth of chapters as a buffer for yourself, which can be like 40+ chapters or so. It's not necessary but it helps, or at least that's the idea.

I'd also seen readers/authors here, and Royalroad suggest that people won't even glance at your fiction until it has at minimum 20 chapters. Not the norm I'd say, but people do consider it.

And, well, with consistent releases, I say that's the idea because in practice it doesn't always work. You can be consistent in scheduling and still almost have no following. Bottom line is, majority of it just simply comes down to luck and rather or not people like your writing. Genre/tag does help, you could write a cute shipcore or isekai litrpg and whatever is possible and still not get a ton of readership.

I scheduled twice a day daily releases that ran its course for a month and a half. But since my writing isn't particularly good early on, and I'm writing a non-existent niche genre, it didn't work out for me in comparison to bigger fictions. But I managed to get a small following along the way which I say is kinda impressive in its own way. I gained close to 100 readers over a 4month period, where it took me almost 12 months to get 160 folllows on its original platform(royalroad).

I would say success is what you make of it, but even I doubt that statement sometimes. Just keep being persistent and it'll pay off someday (probalby) :blob_hide:
This is pretty good information since SH works similarly to RR, but without nearly as much competition. This strategy is just as, if not more effective here. Also don't worry about a prolog. You don't need one. Uploading a few chapters to start, timed out so you stay on the front page for awhile is the way to go.

Kitsura

Tbh since I was already posting on other sites I was able to post 5 a day for about a week

Pretty that’s how I got popular tbh

StrawberryShampoo

Tbh since I was already posting on other sites I was able to post 5 a day for about a week

Pretty that’s how I got popular tbh
I currently have around 6 chapters done so that's not a possible solution for me. But I might try it out sometime later on some other site. Thanks!

If it's 70k words it will take me quite some time to reach it.:blob_hmm:
I currently have 19k words written in the book so it will take me 2 months to reach 70k I think I will keep around 30k in reserve, thanks for the suggestions.
I don't have much advice to give as I don't really write that much, but I'd say in general having a prologue should be your basics. From that, it's up to you how many chapters you find appropriate and feel comfortable releasing at the start.

A good metric to know how many chapters you need to release is trying to see how far into the story you feel the readers will start to get interested in the rest of it. A prologue is your basic hook, your first chapters should be your line and sinker.
It is a commonly second chance novel which I promise in the prologue along with bits of the other genres. It's not a great prologue I think I have given a gist of what I am offering.

Last edited: