Old question

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
It is probably an old question that was answered already quite a lot, how does the trending system work on scribblehub? Because it seems intransparent to say the least. What is the formula behind the ponderation of views, favourites, chapters and time?

Because I stumble across stories with a million views that for some reason are placed 1 place before a novel with barely a 1k views while a story of a friend of mine is not featured among trending compared to another story of her that is a complete and utter failure by all standards. May it be views, favorites, comments and the growth rate of the audience.

So my question, what is behind the trending system? Or is it maybe rigged to begin with to favour certain types of stories as I sometimes suspect? :blob_reach:

D

Deleted member 2533

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
unless someone breaks the code, it has something to do with a set number of views within 24 hours, as far as I can remember

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
It is probably an old question that was answered already quite a lot, how does the trending system work on scribblehub? Because it seems intransparent to say the least. What is the formula behind the ponderation of views, favourites, chapters and time?

Because I stumble across stories with a million views that for some reason are placed 1 place before a novel with barely a 1k views while a story of a friend of mine is not featured among trending compared to another story of her that is a complete and utter failure by all standards. May it be views, favorites, comments and the growth rate of the audience.

So my question, what is behind the trending system? Or is it maybe rigged to begin with to favour certain types of stories as I sometimes suspect? :blob_reach:
I believe Tony changes it and keeps it secret to avoid people abusing them.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I believe Tony changes it and keeps it secret to avoid people abusing them.
so to put it simply, the things on trending ARE trending, but under different factors in every set time

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
I think the daily rankings are what you should pay attention to. As they said, trending is delayed by a day to ensure one novel won't be there two days in a row.
I made it to trending 3 times this week, #6, #1 and #2. But before that I got #1 place in daily activity, so I think that plus new readers contributed to it.

Assurbanipal_II

I think the daily rankings are what you should pay attention to. As they said, trending is delayed by a day to ensure one novel won't be there two days in a row.
I made it to trending 3 times this week, #6, #1 and #2. But before that I got #1 place in daily activity, so I think that plus new readers contributed to it.

It is not about trending nor about the first page. It is about that a story of a friend of mine doesn't feature at all in the various rankings when another less successful apparently does.

Moctemma

It is not about trending nor about the first page. It is about that a story of a friend of mine doesn't feature at all in the various rankings when another less successful apparently does.
What story?

Assurbanipal_II

What story?

Found it under the other tabs, except for rising. Seems that the latter has probably some kind of hidden time factor.

Moctemma

Delay in time, my story appeared on Monday in trending, but on Thursday I didn't show up at all, then on Wednesday I was there again thanks to the views I got on Monday.

binarysoap

Currently Lurking

Tony has changed the trending relatively recently and is not telling anyone how the new one works to prevent abuse.
So no one knows for sure!

P.S. This is why you join the SH discord

Attachments

• trending.png
    trending.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 94

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
Lol, no need to keep it secret if the winning formula are by popularity wish-fulfilment harem stories anyway. :blob_evil_two:
I'd like to point out only 2/9 currently in trending are harem stories (or at least tagged so).

Anyways, ignoring if certain genres are better or not, even within the genre, people can still abuse trending by adjusting chapter length, adjust scheduling etc, so it still does matter.

Assurbanipal_II

I'd like to point out only 2/9 currently in trending are harem stories (or at least tagged so).

Anyways, ignoring if certain genres are better or not, even within the genre, people can still abuse trending by adjusting chapter length, adjust scheduling etc, so it still does matter.

Yes, only 2/9. And interestingly after you adverted me of the fact that Tony had changed the trending algorithm. Mere coincidence? I don't think so as they all have pretty low view counts otherwise.

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
Yes, only 2/9. And interestingly after you adverted me of the fact that Tony had changed the trending algorithm. Mere coincidence? I don't think so as they all have pretty low view counts otherwise.
I sincerely doubt Tony would limit trending based on genre, but who knows

Do you have any data on how many stories were your "wish-fulfilment harem stories" before though?
I honestly don't recall there being that many.

Assurbanipal_II

I sincerely doubt Tony would limit trending based on genre, but who knows

Do you have any data on how many stories were your "wish-fulfilment harem stories" before though?
I honestly don't recall there being that many.

In recent time not many anymore as I see more and more now stories coming up. In the past, the trending page was monopolised by a selected few stories that absorbed the majority of new readers and were therefore difficult to displace.

New readers = more readers, favourites, views, for the stories on the main trending page = stories defend their place = new readers.

Rellawing

Optimistic Kitten
Nya, Assuchan let me know this morning about this thread and the conversation ongoing. I think it'd be best to revise the whole first page.

My proposal is this:
The list of recent story submissions can barely keep up with the flood. Therefore we need more exposure. I suggest a script that does a carousel on a timer and you can pause it by clicking a button and manually spin the carousel. It should be viable to do. This would allow a lot of recent submissions to get exposure. Keep them on the carousel for a certain amount of time. Maybe this should be at the top of the page instead of the ranking. So then, put the rankings I propose below.

Next up, we need several rankings that show on the first page:
Older established stories with a reading base trending. This would help these people who got established to stay there.
Middling popular stories with general trending higher stats ranking. No one from older established can appear here. So you can go over a list of people who are upcoming and have a steady base, but maybe not enough readers yet. Being here would help them to gain readers.
New submissions ranking, ranked by stats too, showing the ones that are rising.

With a three tier ranking system, you could see stories climb higher, going from 1, 2, 3.

You could even do a category for completed stories that had a high popularity, sort of like a hall of fame. These stories were well loved.

Moctemma

We need several rankings that show on the first page

You could even do a category for completed stories that had a high popularity, sort of like a hall of fame. These stories were well loved.
I agree with that, I also like the page how it is right now; though I think people are paranoid over trending. If I were Tony I wouldn't change a thing after improving the algorithm because some people believe the system isn't fair. So I don't think this threads help at all, we can however, post on feature request a hall of fame and similar things.