Patreon NSFW Guidelines Killing Smut Authors

PancakesWitch

I'm not even a damn smut author, I only write a bit of smut in the sidelines of some of my novels, like 1 or 2 smut chapters between 100 normal chapters. Yet Patreon's mental retardation with their new guidelines is reaching new lows.
I just uploaded a chapter where adults that consented had sex, and I got a warning that such a thing might be violating their community guidelines!
I mean, what else can we do now? Even fictional characters are somehow violating guidelines? non-existent, fantasy entities that are not even drawn in a picture, they're just words mesh together!
The crazy part is that there weren't any underage characters or any weird fetishes, it was just smut. Can you believe it? Is the word cock and pussy banned now?
It's insane how even Patreon is turning their backs on their own communities.
And its even more insane that it feels like webnovel.com is the only last bastion of serialized novels where you can earn money writing smut lol, and the worst part is that I dont write main smut!
So I shouldn't really be affected, but I am because I just want my characters to have a mature relationships?
Has any other author been in a similar position to me? Someone affected by patreon yet?

LilRora

Mostly formless
Frankly, this is the exact thing that prevented me from publishing on Patreon. I planned to put my series there, but now my choices are either to give up, or edit out all sexual scenes, which is a pain and a half in the ass because those scenes (four in an 83-chapter book) are crucial for character development.

Recently I'm starting to seriously think the best solution is to make my own website and advertise on social media and other writing sites.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I am going to rant. Censorship is so stupid and does literally nothing but make some stupid advertiser happy. Also, the application is even dumber. We can show people killing other people and ripping their guts out, but the moment you put a sex scene, there is hell to pay? I would go on a longer rant, but I don't want to get banned. 🙏

HuaiChi

I'm not even a damn smut author, I only write a bit of smut in the sidelines of some of my novels, like 1 or 2 smut chapters between 100 normal chapters. Yet Patreon's mental retardation with their new guidelines is reaching new lows.
I just uploaded a chapter where adults that consented had sex, and I got a warning that such a thing might be violating their community guidelines!
I mean, what else can we do now? Even fictional characters are somehow violating guidelines? non-existent, fantasy entities that are not even drawn in a picture, they're just words mesh together!
The crazy part is that there weren't any underage characters or any weird fetishes, it was just smut. Can you believe it? Is the word cock and pussy banned now?
And its even more insane that it feels like webnovel.com is the only last bastion of serialized novels where you can earn money writing smut lol, and the worst part is that I dont write main smut!
So I shouldn't really be affected, but I am because I just want my characters to have a mature relationships?
Has any other author been in a similar position to me? Someone affected by patreon yet?
Do you age verified your account? I mean with ID and your image?
Do you write fanfics?
Is there a chance that a reader had reported it?

I am regularly posting Smut chapters, never got any warning

TheKillingAlice

Schinken
Not on patereon, because I don't get how to properly use that, but it's a fact that there's a lot of things you aren't allowed to write. It's written. Stories are to live out fantasies you specifically wouldn't want to try out in reality. Why can I write a story in which one murders the other during sex, but if two consenting people happen to be 17 and 20, that's gonna break the world? Not like it makes much of a difference anyway, but it's usually about the forbidden aspect, the surroundings you want to use that are around only at that age or, as it was in my case that I had to chuck, it was because someone down the road wanted to fuck over a 23 year old, because the partner was 17. He could have gotten out of that when using a secret he kept hidden (the older one, because the older one is the one who's fucked for this), but that would be a whole other level of bad. So the person wants to make them reveal their secret. So now I had to make the protagonist a year older and the stalker a few IQ points dumber, because they will be incapable of finding out the guy is 18. Urgh.
Again, it's not real. Nobody imagines a 12-year-old for this 17-year-old. And that one year doesn't even matter in reality, but that's a different discussion altogether. I wished people would just calm down in general.

PancakesWitch

Do you age verified your account? I mean with ID and your image?
Do you write fanfics?
Is there a chance that a reader had reported it?

I am regularly posting Smut chapters, never got any warning
yes my account is r18 and i am verified, yet i got this community guidelines automated warning right before i was about to upload said chapter
Isn't kofi anther alternative?
I dont know much about kofi, are their guidelines not as strict regarding NSFW content?

jrell

I wonder if how you post your content on Patreon matters for these automated systems. If you simply paste the raw text into your post VS upload a PDF or epub file.

prognastat

It hasn't hit me yet, but I've been expecting it pretty much the moment they sent the email about them updating their rules/guidelines.

I've started setting up accounts and getting all my content on alternatives in preparation.

As far as I'm aware subscribestar is less strict at least on their adult side of things, but the question is for how long. Not sure how KoFi compares. The main problem is this is the result of pressure from payment processors. Any other platform as long as it relies on those very same payment processors is just a matter of whether the platform grows big enough for those payment processors to pay attention to them and to impose the same requirements.

Last edited:

jrell

It would also be cool to have a deeper integration of Patreon with ScribbleHub, letting authors connect their Patreon accounts and making specific chapters on ScribbleHub visible only for certain tiers. This way, we won't need to post anything on Patreon itself.

Cynthell

My best guess is that your page or tiers have something sexual in them or the public preview contained a black listed word. Patreon killing sexual content would nuke a large portion of their revenue and since there aren't any ads to worry about I'm not sure why they would.

Zagaroth

yes my account is r18 and i am verified, yet i got this community guidelines automated warning right before i was about to upload said chapter
Do you copy and paste your chapter into the text field? Perhaps you should attach your chapter instead. I doubt they scan the files.

I always end my scenes with a fade to black or just a bit of commentary about emotions and experiences, so it wouldn't affect me either way, but I switched to attaching files because it preserves formatting.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
It would also be cool to have a deeper integration of Patreon with ScribbleHub, letting authors connect their Patreon accounts and making specific chapters on ScribbleHub visible only for certain tiers. This way, we won't need to post anything on Patreon itself.
Why even the need for patreon if SH had those features? :blob_unsure:

PancakesWitch

Do you copy and paste your chapter into the text field? Perhaps you should attach your chapter instead. I doubt they scan the files.

I always end my scenes with a fade to black or just a bit of commentary about emotions and experiences, so it wouldn't affect me either way, but I switched to attaching files because it preserves formatting.
yes i usually copy and pasted, that's when the warning appeared, this time i just atached the doc file and there wasnt a warning anymore.

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
I love when sites with a substantial part of their income/traffic coming from horni decide to ban or suppress horni content (excluding sick shit.)