Post your characters, and I'll tell you what I think of them from my reader's perspective.

SailusGebel

Hit an AI generator until it spat something usable out just as a reference piece.

He's young, tries to be kind, and dreams of living in a nice house where he can spend his days tending to the garden/being a general house-husband. Tends to panic a lot when he's in danger, and he's not afraid to cry or beg if he thinks it can help him get out of a tight spot... or just because something terrible's happened. His favourite thing in the world is delicious food, but he thinks it's best when eaten with friends/people he's close with. He hates violence, and would rather surrender and just give people whatever it is they're trying to get from him than actually have to fight them.

He says he doesn't hold grudges, but he kind of does - it's just he won't do anything about it except make snide remarks now and then, or just silently judge you in his head.
If he is chubby, I like his appearance. As for everyhing else, I like it. Unique dream, has weaknesses, and loves food. :blobthumbsup:
I am in,

a work in progress chara:

Name: Aisha

Looks: Average height, orangy-red waved hair, slightly tanned due to spending most of her time outside. She has dark brown eyes and while not muscular a well trained and slender figure.
View attachment 19005

Backstory: Daugther of a dragon rider and former army man who loves his three daugthers dearly, although is very conservative about it and does seldomly show it. Is the oldest of three and the only one who really got to know their dead mother. She is to take over her fathers current position where usually woman aren't allowed, not that he cares since he is sure she will be doing a good job.

Personality: Quiet most of the day, preferring to observe rather then speak, quite friendly once you get her to talk to you though. Stubbron as a mule once she sets her mind to it, sometimes even goes through with things she realized might not have been the best idea just on principle, so she doesn't have to admit it backfired on her.
She also prefers dragons a lot over humans, with few exceptions, and is a brilliant dragon rider, with skill putting almost everyone else, including her father to shame.
I like her looks. As for everything else, I will say it's 55% like and 45% dislike. I like that she is overly stubborn. Being quite doesn't fit her being the oldest I think. And her preffering dragons and being overly good, also doesn't suit my taste. Although she has one weakness(being stubborn), it feels like it's not weakness at all and she is too perfect. I don't like perfect characters.

RainingSky

Coffee lover (addict)
If he is chubby, I like his appearance. As for everyhing else, I like it. Unique dream, has weaknesses, and loves food. :blobthumbsup:

I like her looks. As for everything else, I will say it's 55% like and 45% dislike. I like that she is overly stubborn. Being quite doesn't fit her being the oldest I think. And her preffering dragons and being overly good, also doesn't suit my taste. Although she has one weakness(being stubborn), it feels like it's not weakness at all and she is too perfect. I don't like perfect characters.
Maybe I should add to the summary I made that her main weakness is that she knows little else but Dragon riding and handling. She excels when it comes to dragons but other then that. She sucks at housework...where she had forcefully aquire the basics but never got beyond them, and is not very good at dealing with humans outside her comfort zone.

SailusGebel

Maybe I should add to the summary I made that her main weakness is that she knows little else but Dragon riding and handling. She excels when it comes to dragons but other then that. She sucks at housework...where she had forcefully aquire the basics but never got beyond them, and is not very good at dealing with humans outside her comfort zone.
This made me like her even less.

RynnTheTired

Pathological Sleepyhead
Hmm...looks fun. I'll give it a try.

Name: Iggy (His registered name is Igneous, but he only gets called that when he's in trouble.)

Appearance: A kitten-sized dragon with black scales, bat-like wings, deer-like ears, tiny horns, and bright orange eyes. He also has a long, thin tail that he waves around when he's happy or excited.

That's him on my cover:

Backstory: Iggy is a purebred Violet Flare dragon, but because he formed a familiar contract under unusual circumstances, he became a void morph, with different magic and coloring than the rest of his family (he feels a little insecure about that...). He's three years old (dragons from his breed are considered full-grown at age seven). His contract partner is Ariom Denifor, a grandmaster enchanter, and Iggy uses his high magic sensitivity and instinctive understanding of magic patterns to help Ariom design and analyze enchantments.

Personality: Energetic and outgoing. He's very impulsive and a bit clueless, so he tends to cause trouble when he's not closely supervised (especially in the kitchen...and even more especially when there happens to be a pot full of mashed potatoes around...). But he's affectionate and loyal to his family and friends (and if he really likes you, he might even remember your name!).

Likes: Toys, pretty magic, chasing birds, eating spicy fish, playing with other familiars, collecting treasures (like pretty marbles or interesting leaves).

Dislikes: Scary things (including magic parasites and strong battlemages), bullies, irritating magic, wearing his leash, being bored, spending too much time alone or away from Ariom.

SailusGebel

Hmm...looks fun. I'll give it a try.

Name: Iggy (His registered name is Igneous, but he only gets called that when he's in trouble.)

Appearance: A kitten-sized dragon with black scales, bat-like wings, deer-like ears, tiny horns, and bright orange eyes. He also has a long, thin tail that he waves around when he's happy or excited.

That's him on my cover:

Backstory: Iggy is a purebred Violet Flare dragon, but because he formed a familiar contract under unusual circumstances, he became a void morph, with different magic and coloring than the rest of his family (he feels a little insecure about that...). He's three years old (dragons from his breed are considered full-grown at age seven). His contract partner is Ariom Denifor, a grandmaster enchanter, and Iggy uses his high magic sensitivity and instinctive understanding of magic patterns to help Ariom design and analyze enchantments.

Personality: Energetic and outgoing. He's very impulsive and a bit clueless, so he tends to cause trouble when he's not closely supervised (especially in the kitchen...and even more especially when there happens to be a pot full of mashed potatoes around...). But he's affectionate and loyal to his family and friends (and if he really likes you, he might even remember your name!).

Likes: Toys, pretty magic, chasing birds, eating spicy fish, playing with other familiars, collecting treasures (like pretty marbles or interesting leaves).

Dislikes: Scary things (including magic parasites and strong battlemages), bullies, irritating magic, wearing his leash, being bored, spending too much time alone or away from Ariom.
Looks are okay. I'm not the biggest fun of cutesy thins, and description of his appearance sounds like he can cause diabetes with his looks alone. I would say, whether I like his appearance or not depends on my current mood and scene. As for everything else, if he is young\child, it like it. If not, don't like it.

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
Name: Gobz (He doesnt have a name since the old people at the town call him that, so he stuck with it.)

Appearance: Four foot eight inches tall, has green skin and claw mark on the left eye, thin build with a muscular physique, yellow eyes and wears human clothes.

Backstory: A goblin from the northern regions. He works at the city docks as a porter because all the dungeons became attractions for travelers. This happened after the kingdom subjugated them to prevent it from killing would-be-adventurers who were desperate to get big.

Creatures like him were left with either migrating to a new dungeon in another country or come work for the kingdom.

He chose the later and never looked back.

Personality: He likes to think of ways on how to survive and get through everyday.
- Doesn't mind the gossip of nobles that he's a disgusting creature which reeks of fish.
- The old people at the docks like to invite him for drinking sessions since they think could outdrink him but end up getting drunk themselves.
- Is quiet most of the time but speaks with a few words only.

Likes: Drinking, his weekly salary (of course!), eating human food, napping under trees, old man jackson and his co-workers (since they treat him like he's one of them)

Dislikes: Nobles except Count Viktor (he was the one who helped him get his job due to him saving his daughter once from sea bandits), the ogre brothers (Ogrim and Og-Og since they earn more money than him because they also work as bodyguards), not being paid for overtime work and running out of alcohol to drink.

RynnTheTired

Pathological Sleepyhead
Looks are okay. I'm not the biggest fun of cutesy thins, and description of his appearance sounds like he can cause diabetes with his looks alone. I would say, whether I like his appearance or not depends on my current mood and scene. As for everything else, if he is young\child, it like it. If not, don't like it.
Yes, he's a child. He'd be around 7 or 8 in human years. Sorry I didn't make that clear enough.

And his character design is loosely based on a fennec fox, so yeah, he's all about being tiny and cute. If that's not your thing, then fair enough. Sounds like he's coming across as intended, at least.

It's interesting to hear how the character looks to someone outside my normal readership, so thanks for sharing your thoughts. 😊

SailusGebel

Name: Gobz (He doesnt have a name since the old people at the town call him that, so he stuck with it.)

Appearance: Four foot eight inches tall, has green skin and claw mark on the left eye, thin build with a muscular physique, yellow eyes and wears human clothes.

Backstory: A goblin from the northern regions. He works at the city docks as a porter because all the dungeons became attractions for travelers. This happened after the kingdom subjugated them to prevent it from killing would-be-adventurers who were desperate to get big.

Creatures like him were left with either migrating to a new dungeon in another country or come work for the kingdom.

He chose the later and never looked back.

Personality: He likes to think of ways on how to survive and get through everyday.
- Doesn't mind the gossip of nobles that he's a disgusting creature which reeks of fish.
- The old people at the docks like to invite him for drinking sessions since they think could outdrink him but end up getting drunk themselves.
- Is quiet most of the time but speaks with a few words only.

Likes: Drinking, his weekly salary (of course!), eating human food, napping under trees, old man jackson and his co-workers (since they treat him like he's one of them)

Dislikes: Nobles except Count Viktor (he was the one who helped him get his job due to him saving his daughter once from sea bandits), the ogre brothers (Ogrim and Og-Og since they earn more money than him because they also work as bodyguards), not being paid for overtime work and running out of alcohol to drink.
Err, that's just goblin. And you haven't said anything about his personality. What you wrote in personality doesn't explain if he is smart or stupid, stubborn or not, prideful, arrogant, generous, and so on. You wrote a lot of backstory. Based on this, I can't say anything.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
The original idea for this thread belongs to always handsome @LinXueLian :blob_salute:

I thought her thread, and a couple of similar ones were cool. I wanted to revive them for a long time. Necroing is against the rules, so I'm making a new thread and combining all the similar ones. You can post whoever you want here. Male, female, animal, the main character, side villain, mob character, a character from unpublished work, from published work, from a training piece, whatever you want.

Rules are easy.
1. You post one character at a time. If you want to post one more, wait for another forum user to ask, or at least wait for my reply.

2. You describe how your character looks. You can use an image, you can write it, or use both methods.

3. You describe the personality of your character. You can also add hobbies, favorite food, whatever you want or need to mention. Preferably, make it 5-7 sentences long. Don't be afraid to write spoilers via spoiler button. I need to know why the character is like that to make an opinion. Moreover, chances are high that I won't read your story. So don't be afraid to spoil it for me.

4. Wait for me to reply.

This isn't a critique or review, I won't deconstruct your character. I won't give advice or tips(unless you ask for it). I will state whether I like your character or not. I'm only going to share my personal, subjective opinion.
Name: Sol (Also known by more than a few other names, such as Theater, Theo, monster, etc.)

Species: Tormented Princess

Spoilers for any reading my story. Please don't read this if reading my story, please!

Sol's Appearance: Every little facet that is them is metaphorically polished, achieving an impossible standard of beauty capable of crushing lesser minds. Magical eyes called Orbs of Vanity glimmer with a gold luster surrounded by ebony darkness of the dimension hidden within their arms, covered under eyelids that stand out on their arms in an oddly natural manner. Though if they so decide, the many eyes can quickly turn into her body into a visage that turns your mind to narcissism. Her teeth against purple lips exemplify the beauty of the maws of fish in the abyssal trenches have. They are feminine in appearance, to exactly the point that they feel happiest as, so imagine the build of her body as you wish. The metal of her hands is bent into angular instruments of death that sing to any warrior of the beauty of violence, and yet, they constructed by a metal of perfect purity and easily turned to the pastimes of peace.

There are many other notable aspects about Sol's appearance, but I also know you can't stand purple prose (though it actually serve a very important purpose in my story), so I won't continue longer.

Sol's personality: a self-sacrificing individual absolutely obsessed with being the perfect friend for others and being loved by others in that way, and she has the acting chops to do it successfully too. Oftentimes, they put on a mask of an extremely happy-go-lucky guy, and commit to being as kind as possible to make others feel better. She has an unnatural control over her emotions, thoughts, facial expressions, and body language. They are a combat-medic surgeon for the local power/gang, and are heavily traumatized by the number of friends who have died in front of them as well and the numerous traumatic injuries they have dealt with over the course of her life. They are also a very vain person, though simultaneously self-loathing to the suicidal extreme. Prone to irrational fits of mindless rage upon seeing religious symbols (for a looot of reasons).[/ISPOILER]

SailusGebel

Name: Sol (Also known by more than a few other names, such as Theater, Theo, monster, etc.)

Species: Tormented Princess

Spoilers for any reading my story. Please don't read this if reading my story, please!

Sol's Appearance: Every little facet that is them is metaphorically polished, achieving an impossible standard of beauty capable of crushing lesser minds. Magical eyes called Orbs of Vanity glimmer with a gold luster surrounded by ebony darkness of the dimension hidden within their arms, covered under eyelids that stand out on their arms in an oddly natural manner. Though if they so decide, the many eyes can quickly turn into her body into a visage that turns your mind to narcissism. Her teeth against purple lips exemplify the beauty of the maws of fish in the abyssal trenches have. They are feminine in appearance, to exactly the point that they feel happiest as, so imagine the build of her body as you wish. The metal of her hands is bent into angular instruments of death that sing to any warrior of the beauty of violence, and yet, they constructed by a metal of perfect purity and easily turned to the pastimes of peace.

There are many other notable aspects about Sol's appearance, but I also know you can't stand purple prose (though it actually serve a very important purpose in my story), so I won't continue longer.

Sol's personality: a self-sacrificing individual absolutely obsessed with being the perfect friend for others and being loved by others in that way, and she has the acting chops to do it successfully too. Oftentimes, they put on a mask of an extremely happy-go-lucky guy, and commit to being as kind as possible to make others feel better. She has an unnatural control over her emotions, thoughts, facial expressions, and body language. They are a combat-medic surgeon for the local power/gang, and are heavily traumatized by the number of friends who have died in front of them as well and the numerous traumatic injuries they have dealt with over the course of her life. They are also a very vain person, though simultaneously self-loathing to the suicidal extreme. Prone to irrational fits of mindless rage upon seeing religious symbols (for a looot of reasons).[/ISPOILER]
I don't like Sol's appearance as I have no idea how she looks. Can't comprehend what you wrote. Personality is boring.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I know this is my second one but it's been a while.
Mama-Louise (2) (2).jpg

Mama Louise

Is the current matriarch of one of three Succubus families and runs the most successful brothel in London. Is feared by most people and monsters alike because of the political and physical power she wields. Can turn into a large eldritch-style tentacle horror that feeds off of her captive's fears and desires. Due to how busy her schedule is, her only time of joy is reserved for her daily hour of tea. Anyone who disturbs her during this time, knowing that it's her tea time, will face consequences. Has a bad habit of smoking, mainly a blend of weed and tobacco. Loves exercising her power on those who fear her. Is also the main source of gossip and rumors for the supernatural peacekeepers known as the Table. Does not have any time or patience for back sass whatsoever. Has a vanity issue and desires to be younger. Also has a soft spot for orphans.

SailusGebel

I know this is my second one but it's been a while.
View attachment 19186
Mama Louise

Is the current matriarch of one of three Succubus families and runs the most successful brothel in London. Is feared by most people and monsters alike because of the political and physical power she wields. Can turn into a large eldritch-style tentacle horror that feeds off of her captive's fears and desires. Due to how busy her schedule is, her only time of joy is reserved for her daily hour of tea. Anyone who disturbs her during this time, knowing that it's her tea time, will face consequences. Has a bad habit of smoking, mainly a blend of weed and tobacco. Loves exercising her power on those who fear her. Is also the main source of gossip and rumors for the supernatural peacekeepers known as the Table. Does not have any time or patience for back sass whatsoever.
I don't care whether her appearence is generic or not, I fucking like it. As for everything else, you once again don't describe her personality. It's a mix of backstory, describing her powers, and lore rather than actually explaining who she is.

Example of what I mean by describing the personality. Name: Vlad Kochergin. 17 years old. As he lives in a rural village where education is so-so he is dumb. Living in a rural village also made him simple. Simple in a sense that his biggest dreams are to inherit the land, find a wife, and raise kids. Though he is simple, it doesn't mean that he is kind. Living among rural people made him a so-so person. There is no entertainment in rural villages, mostly booze, and TV, and this combo doesn't raise good people. As he is simple, he is also greedy. He is willing to do small crimes for money, like stealing something, evading taxes, making illegal booze and so on, but he won't kill. So, he is dumb, true to his desires, and to a certain point morally grey person.

MisterEnigmatic

I've got time to spare (not really), so why not?

Name: Daisuke Colen

Appearance: Tall (192cm) and gangly, but suprisingly strong due to helping his late grandfather with his work on his fishing boat. Has shoulder length, hickory brown hair that's always curly and messy. Fairly handsome.

Born and raised in England, but currently in Japan to finish high school. He has a Japanese given name because his uncle is a massive weeaboo, and thought that the name would suit him, thus making him the only one of his parents' children to have such a name. He's taciturn and is almost always wearing a blank, stoic expression; pairing these traits with his naturally dead-fish eyes causes him to be viewed as a delinquent or intimadating often, much to his chagrin. Prone to sarcasm, but is a genuinely kind person, albeit he is a bit self-deprecating and standoff-ish. Has to join a secret police organisation after getting caught up in a few tumultuous situations.

Bonus traits:

- Eats a lot, but can't seem to gain weight or much muscle mass.
- Stoic expression may be due to his grandmother telling him that he looks ghastly when he smiles, happened when he was eight.
- Believes that breasts are justice, but does prefer big ones.
- Will hit himself in the face to resist his primal a.k.a horny urges.
- Got hit in the head with a big stone when he was ten, leading to a change in someone he's close with.

Paul_Tromba

I don't care whether her appearence is generic or not, I fucking like it. As for everything else, you once again don't describe her personality. It's a mix of backstory, describing her powers, and lore rather than actually explaining who she is.

Example of what I mean by describing the personality. Name: Vlad Kochergin. 17 years old. As he lives in a rural village where education is so-so he is dumb. Living in a rural village also made him simple. Simple in a sense that his biggest dreams are to inherit the land, find a wife, and raise kids. Though he is simple, it doesn't mean that he is kind. Living among rural people made him a so-so person. There is no entertainment in rural villages, mostly booze, and TV, and this combo doesn't raise good people. As he is simple, he is also greedy. He is willing to do small crimes for money, like stealing something, evading taxes, making illegal booze and so on, but he won't kill. So, he is dumb, true to his desires, and to a certain point morally grey person.
Alright, her personality.

She is a hard-headed, controlling woman who demands respect. She was raised by the succubi houses to be a prostitute and quickly rose to power within her family. Her pride, wit, and determination are unmatched by anyone, even among her peers. Though she demands respect, she mostly commands it through fear. Due to her poor and unsightly upbringing, she has a soft heart for the less fortunate, such as orphans and those with difficult backgrounds. Going so far as to supply them with necessary items and hospitality whenever the opportunity arises. She despises the elite and powerful due to her background, only seeing them as tools to be utilized and cast aside. Among her family, she is seen as strict but kind and forgiving while most outside view her with fear and contempt. She is morally grey as she mainly does what is needed to serve her own self-interest or her family.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!

That’s informative, but also one of the most boring characters I could imagine. I already hate the character, as well as the reasoning and backstory behind his character creation.
That’s just random villager NPC based off of more than a few stereotypes.

Paul_Tromba

That’s informative, but also one of the most boring characters I could imagine. I already hate the character, as well as the reasoning and backstory behind his character creation.
Are you referring to his example or my character?

SailusGebel

I've got time to spare (not really), so why not?

Name: Daisuke Colen

Appearance: Tall (192cm) and gangly, but suprisingly strong due to helping his late grandfather with his work on his fishing boat. Has shoulder length, hickory brown hair that's always curly and messy. Fairly handsome.

Born and raised in England, but currently in Japan to finish high school. He has a Japanese given name because his uncle is a massive weeaboo, and thought that the name would suit him, thus making him the only one of his parents' children to have such a name. He's taciturn and is almost always wearing a blank, stoic expression; pairing these traits with his naturally dead-fish eyes causes him to be viewed as a delinquent or intimadating often, much to his chagrin. Prone to sarcasm, but is a genuinely kind person, albeit he is a bit self-deprecating and standoff-ish. Has to join a secret police organisation after getting caught up in a few tumultuous situations.

Bonus traits:

- Eats a lot, but can't seem to gain weight or much muscle mass.
- Stoic expression may be due to his grandmother telling him that he looks ghastly when he smiles, happened when he was eight.
- Believes that breasts are justice, but does prefer big ones.
- Will hit himself in the face to resist his primal a.k.a horny urges.
- Got hit in the head with a big stone when he was ten, leading to a change in someone he's close with.
I'm not sure being gangly should refer to appearence, but it's a nice trait. Brown and curly hair is also a nice thing. As for everything else, I don't like him, because you didn't describe him good enough. For example, dead-fish eyes should belong to appearance. It's literally part of how he looks. Why he is prone to sarcasm? What being forced has to do with his Personality and how he acts? It's a part of his backstory.

So, yeah. Appearance is good, even though I dislike dead-fish eyes, everything else is cool. As for personality I don't like him because you didn't describe him.
Alright, her personality.

She is a hard-headed, controlling woman who demands respect. She was raised by the succubi houses to be a prostitute and quickly rose to power within her family. Her pride, wit, and determination are unmatched by anyone, even among her peers. Though she demands respect, she mostly commands it through fear. Due to her poor and unsightly upbringing, she has a soft heart for the less fortunate, such as orphans and those with difficult backgrounds. Going so far as to supply them with necessary items and hospitality whenever the opportunity arises. She despises the elite and powerful due to her background, only seeing them as tools to be utilized and cast aside. Among her family, she is seen as strict but kind and forgiving while most outside view her with fear and contempt. She is morally grey as she mainly does what is needed to serve her own self-interest or her family.
I don't know why, but I can't unsee her resemblance to Yubaba. I think I like her personality. Though I would say she is somewhat too good.
Because it is a bunch of stereotypes. I thought of it in a few minutes as I don't have time to think of an interesting example. The point was to show how to describe, not what to describe.