Regarding Warnings: Gore

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
What is the line of the warning of Gore?

WARNING : THERE WILL BE GORE IN THIS OPENING MESSAGE AND WE WILL DISCUSS SPECIFICS. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

Sure, if you're going to talk about how intestines suddenly expanded and an alien insect comes digging out of your backside (not my story, Stephen King), that is gore. As are graphic descriptions of heads being lopped off, with blood spurting out and eyes rolling back in their holes, while it is being held aloft by a troll.

But, other visuals like the famous scene from Kill Bill Vol. 1, where she massacres the whole of the yakuza gang, with fountains of blood spurting out from everyone - I find it funny, honestly. It's less violence and just cathartic violence. Will that carry the warning of gore in here?

Are eyes melting due to heat from a laser considered gore enough to raise the flag? Are sentences such as "She swung her sword in an arc and saw his head roll on the ground" enough to raise the flag? Is description of a monster, with many eyes and slime all over its body considered gore?

Please discuss, as I'd like to know where the warning flag should be raised and where not.

LordJoyde

"She swung her sword in an arc, eliciting a splash of gore to coat the ground." - no gore warning required.

"She sliced her enemy's limbs off, then tore through their abdomen with her right hand, ripping out intestines as well as their spine in one brutal, yet fluid motion." - gore warning required.

Agentt

Thighs
Gore doesn't refer to what is happening.
It refers to the image it creates.
Anything that wants to make you puke is gore.
Eg.
One of the villianess's favourite pastimes is to kick babies till they die, and then eat that tender new meat, cleaning it to the bone.
Doesn't has much details. Still gore due to the idea.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
"She swung her sword in an arc, eliciting a splash of gore to coat the ground." - no gore warning required.

"She sliced her enemy's limbs off, then tore through their abdomen with her right hand, ripping out intestines as well as their spine in one brutal, yet fluid motion." - gore warning required.
this is a pretty good, simple way to put it.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
To me gore is when blood is shown explicitly, making it into an R rated thing.

For instance, the OG Robocop's penis puncture shows blood, the new one (kinda crap but okayish) shows no explicit violence.

James punches Xan's head clean off versus James punches Xan's head into a fine red mist means the same, it is just that I take time to show you what exactly happened to Xan's head. In my opinion, this is not gore, but to some queasy people with wild imagination, picturing someone's head flying like a bloodless billard ball versus it with blood, brain matter and bone is very different.

Jemini

Taking the example of the severed head, that would be another good way to depict the line between requiring the "gore" tag Vs. not.

Just saying you cut off a person's head would not require a "gore" tag. However, if you go on to describe the severed head, such as "his severed head rolled on the ground. His lifeless eyes were still open in shock and his expression was frozen in disbelief from the blow that killed him." This would conjure the image of the details about the severed head, and that would cause the image to be a little more traumatic.

I would say the description of facial expressions there I just gave would be exactly right on the line between whether or not it would require the "gore" tag. So, anything more descriptive or traumatic than that definitely requires a "gore" tag, anything less descriptive than that such as just mentioning the head was severed with no real description does not require a "gore" tag. The exact level on par with the description I gave there though, that's one where you as the author can decide which way you want to go and it would probably work either way.

EDIT: Actually, the one step further that would make this severed head example require a "gore" tag would be if you made it a child's head. None of the actual details would change, but the fact is that it would make the imagery a lot more upsetting.

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
I guess I understand what it means when you about human decapitations or what not.
But what about monsters? At what level does a monsters description become "Gore"?

Like, Nyarlathotep from Lovecraft Universe is a very yucky being with descriptions that lie even outside of human conscience. Or, like Abominations like Shoggoth, a mass of slime and horror.

I personally that monster descriptions should come without the flag if the thing they do is only psychological, as the reader should definitely be caught off-guard regarding these violent things.

Agentt

Thighs
Like, Nyarlathotep from Lovecraft Universe is a very yucky being with descriptions that lie even outside of human conscience. Or, like Abominations like Shoggoth, a mass of slime and horror.

I personally that monster descriptions should come without the flag if the thing they do is only psychological, as the reader should definitely be caught off-guard regarding these violent things.
This is a very subjective, since I don't find any of those two gory.
In order to make monsters gory, you don't add details to monsters, you add details to people he kills.
Give those victims families, or a job, a life goal. Have them angel like.
Like a dog! A dog! Any story with a dog becomes sad because people think they are good boys. Just like that, have the victims be good boys.

Lentin

In my opinion, probably any description that includes verbs of violence + detailed anatomy terms, with action of hacking off and exposure of internal and external body parts would be considered gore

BubbleC

Floating Idiot
I guess I understand what it means when you about human decapitations or what not.
But what about monsters? At what level does a monsters description become "Gore"?

I think describing a monster in great detail often comes off as grotesque but not gory. It crosses that threshold when you describe the monster with gory language.

If you liken a monster’s skin to the inner lining of human intestines or their saliva as thick, slimy blood, then I think there could be cause for you to tag your story with gore. This is especially so if the monster in question is associated with bloody violence in your story.

Describing a monster’s beady eyes or snake like tongue wouldn’t warrant a gore tag, but saying his glossy, bulging eyes oozed with a sickening purple slime while his tongue bursted his prey’s head into a red mist with a loud crunch, is. Especially if you go on about the splattered brain matter that resulted from the action. If you don’t describe your creature in such graphic detail and if your monster’s effects on the characters are primarily psychological, then I think it’s not gore, probably just psychological or horror.

At least, that’s my opinion. What counts as gore really depends on the reader and author. An author can evoke disgust without writing in graphic detail if they’re good enough with their words. And likewise, a reader could perceive something intended to be gory as just comical. But keep in mind that gore fundamentally refers to carnage and blood; something could be gross but not technically gore.

Last edited:

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
If you're afraid of being insulted to death by vanilla readers who can't handle anything more than honey and sunshine, put gore tag even if you don't think it needs it.

If you're not afraid of vanilla readers or trolls, just put it if you think it will bother the British censorship board.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
That all sounds just like giving birth.

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
This is all an interesting conversation - Especially when one applies it to fantasy specific violence.

In The Stormlight Archive there are swords that cause victim's eyes to burn out upon death, or cause limbs to die if severed, though they remain attached. Is this gory, even if there's no blood?

In my own story, the main character scrapes scales off of the tails of merpeople. It is very painful, both physically and emotionally for them, but there is little blood. Is this gory? Should it be considered just as horrible as a human having their skin peeled off, even if it's hardly analogous? Is it not nearly as graphic because it's happening to a fantasy creature with different physiology?

Big questions. Questions I think only the reader can decide.

It depends I think mostly on how it is described. Even though there are YA books discussing very R rated ideas like war, because of the way it is described, it comes off differently.

On the other hand, I'm listening to a Sci fi audio book right now that has some very, very disturbing plot elements in which humans are viewed as completely worthless, and I find that far more harrowing than countless stories of warfare.

BubbleC

Floating Idiot
This is all an interesting conversation - Especially when one applies it to fantasy specific violence.

In The Stormlight Archive there are swords that cause victim's eyes to burn out upon death, or cause limbs to die if severed, though they remain attached. Is this gory, even if there's no blood?

In my own story, the main character scrapes scales off of the tails of merpeople. It is very painful, both physically and emotionally for them, but there is little blood. Is this gory? Should it be considered just as horrible as a human having their skin peeled off, even if it's hardly analogous? Is it not nearly as graphic because it's happening to a fantasy creature with different physiology?
I think a helpful rule of thumb is to consider if your story/passage causes the intended effects of gore.

In an oversimplified view:
Something is comedic if it makes you laugh or smile.

Something is tragic if it makes you cry and feel depressed.

Something is gory when it makes you disgusted, when it causes you to pause and recoil in shock, when you're left with a vivid image of this horrific fictional reality.

The best gore, in my opinion, shows whatever action the camera is set on (whether it be violence or just a corpse) and puts the reader right into the action. Saying someone cut off someone else's limb is not gore, but talking about the weight of the sword as it cut through someone's limb, the smell, and the subsequent carnage is gore. Saying someone scraped the scales off merperople is not gore, but talking about the slow peeling of each scale off the tail, the pale indent left in the fin afterwards, and the futile resistance and screaming of the merperson, is.

But the bottom line is, because what disgusts people can be subjective, you should be the one to decide if something is gory to you. Did you intend for something to be gruesome? Do you grow nauseous reading your own writing? Then put the tag. If not, don't. Or do, if you're afraid of readers complaining. But if someone does complain about there being no gore tag, you could also just add it then (I think).

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
What is the line of the warning of Gore?

Sure, if you're going to talk about how intestines suddenly expanded and an alien insect comes digging out of your backside (not my story, Stephen King), that is gore. As are graphic descriptions of heads being lopped off, with blood spurting out and eyes rolling back in their holes, while it is being held aloft by a troll.

But, other visuals like the famous scene from Kill Bill Vol. 1, where she massacres the whole of the yakuza gang, with fountains of blood spurting out from everyone - I find it funny, honestly. It's less violence and just cathartic violence. Will that carry the warning of gore in here?

Are eyes melting due to heat from a laser considered gore enough to raise the flag? Are sentences such as "She swung her sword in an arc and saw his head roll on the ground" enough to raise the flag? Is description of a monster, with many eyes and slime all over its body considered gore?

Please discuss, as I'd like to know where the warning flag should be raised and where not.
In my opinion, the gore tag should be added in whenever it is explicitly describing the scenes.

Ex.
GORE WARNING. WARNING!

As Jason tore through the midnight sky, he saw his intestines flaying wildly behind him. The soft, slimey trail was flopping around like a flag, but only bloodier.

The light reflected off of them, giving them more of a 3D feel, which made Jason realize that this was NOT fake. His warm, moist blood was splashing around, after all.

Suddenly, he stopped. His legs were clamped together quite tightly by some mysterious force. The badly created ridges of the hole in the middle of his stomach made even more of the waterfall, created by Jason's blood, pour down for the soil to absorb.

Right when he was trapped, he knew. Life was gone. Death awaited him. His eyes went blank, with him only being concious because of the immense pain he was feeling. His intestines suddenly coiled around a branch near him that started from a rotting tree, like the many others in this vast forest.

As a gust of wind blew, the branch swayed. Along with it, went Jason's intestines. The long rope was pulled, stretched you could say, and a bit of it tore.

A fountain of blood erupted at that point where the intestine has been broken, about one inch from the end, and Jason's eyes bulged as he felt pain.

A shadow emerged from the clump of dark, evil-looking trees. Ever so quietly, that figure raised its hand and pointed its index finger, dripping a lushiously red liquid, at the frozen Jason.

Right when the finger was pointed at Jason, a dark mist seeped into his body.

Jason thrashed in pain, for he felt his skin tear and rip, with his eyes barely able to see bits and pieces of flesh erupt into the air. That flesh was in many different sizes, some being only 1 inch in diameter, while others were a full 6 inches in diameter. However, all had one quality that was the same— they all had trails of human blood that originated from Jason's body.

At this point, many of Jason's nerves were at a point where if there was even just a bit more pressure added onto him, the entity called 'Jason' who we've been addressing all this while would explode in a blast of flesh, blood, and organs.

Already, Jason had started to black out, with his mouth being unable to close, and his eyes barely open. He heaved 2 breaths every 30 seconds, a major shortage. Some bits of the already torn-off flesh had even encroached upon the warmth of Jason's barely-working mouth.

In spite of this gruesome scene in front of itself, the hooded figure merely looked at Jason, not showing a single human emotion.

The figure retracted its index finger and simply turned away from the scene amd started walking away.

As it did, tendrils of black mass crept towards Jason and bound him, spread-eagled, in the air.

5 chains held him in place. One held his left arm in the air, and another his right. Another held his right leg in the air, and the fourth held his left leg. The last tendril held his neck, slowly choking Jason.

Mustering up all of his strength, Jason thrashed about, but alas, nothing helped.

Suddenly, the tendrils holding Jason limbs disappeared, with only the one at his neck remaining.

With nothing except the tendril at his neck holding him up, gravity started to pull Jason down.

Slowly, his body went lower, while the tendril of darkness came closer to the joint where Jason's neck and skull were connected.

Slowly, Jason started getting limp, and he felt his insides starting to boil. His head felt like mush, and his eyes were barely attached to his head. He had even started crying the blood red liquid that had originally helped him come this far. That scarlet liquid had helped him acheive success, yet it seemed like it had abandoned him, too.

Then, the tendril reached the joint. It waited a second, and simply squeezed.

As if a button had been pushed, Jason's head exploded, with the pink, gushy fluid in the air being his smashed-up brain, and the other things accompanying it the other liquids that had been circulating with him.

That wasn't all. Jason's now headless corpse also exploded, as the pressure on his nerves and arteries was too much.

From the sky rained chunky, pink fluid, and below it was a fountain of wine.

In that instance, that morbidly instance, a fascinating sight was shown. The sight was morbidly fascinating, making someone wish that it happened once more. Entranced, people would be if they saw that sight.

As the entity Jason was eliminated from the world, and his carcass that was only a skeleton with some pieces of flesh on it, dropped to the ground, the deathly dark tendril disappeared, just like the other 4 before it.

Just like that, the forest was once again quiet, though Jason had never made a single sound, to begin with.

All that showed of the spectacle that had just happened was a pile of flesh and various other liquids residing over a human skeleton.

Only after an hour could one hear a small voice cry out into the dark with its raspy voice,"Ah, Jason, your flesh was very tasty, much tastier than either your mother's or father's. I am so happy that I decided to create a lineage millions of eras ago who would have it in their genes to come to this forest, expecting great rewards. Your great-great-great-great-..... -great grandmother is very happy. Thank you dear, for the food. Now all that's left is to wait until you daughter has a child and she comes here! Thank you for satisfying my hunger, my children! Hehehehahaha!"

D

Deleted member 45782

If its like a Tom and Jerry thing? Well technically lot of violence and stuff esp. what happens to tom a lot, but...not gorey.

If its like this version of Peppa the pig, then yes definitely. I think gore is when you describe those things in vivid detail, something that one can picture and its really grotesque, bloody, disturbing form.

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
In The Stormlight Archive there are swords that cause victim's eyes to burn out upon death
Uhhh, just to digress a bit, IDK if you read Rhythm of War yet, but OMG there's one scene right near the end that almost made my skin crawl.

But it wasn't what you would call classic gore!

Last edited:

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
Uhhh, just to digress a bit, IDK if you read Rhythm of War yet, but OMG there's one scene right near the end that almost made my skin crawl.

But it wasn't what you would call classic gore!
I have indeed finished ROW. I'd argue though that the most gory scene in the Cosmere is in Well of Ascension.