SHF High-school Fanfic

MatchaChocolate69

What happens when the mirror breaks?
Try to save for Jingliu first or at least save 90 pulls for her (you'll get it for free, because you get gems for literally anything. I have 100 pulls in gems just from playing the game :blob_happy: ) If you lose 50/50 you have next one guaranteed to be the banner one :blob_hmm_two:
Thanks!
A question: who's better? Dan Heng o Dr Ratio?
I don't want to waste resources on useless characters.
I know that Asta is strong. Do you know which f2p characters to focus on?

Last edited:

Azure_Fog

More stabby, more happy~
Thanks!
I know that Asta is strong. Do I know which f2p characters to focus on?
You’re in the early game. As long as you don’t level every single character, it doesn’t matter. In terms of late game, few play any 4-star for DPS except for a few at e6 like QQ. Go with Ratio if you care enough, otherwise build whoever you want.
Also, you can theoretically do anything with anyone… it’s just how much you are willing to invest in. Anyways, you can get ~300 to 400 pulls very easily so you’ll be fine and resources aren’t very limited.(Unless you level everyone)

DannyTheDaikon

| Azure tamer | Harbinger of chaos and soup
Thanks!
From experience, if I had to choose between the two I'd build Dan Heng. I was really unimpressed with Dr. Ratio. People say he's good, but I noticed to have polar opposite opinion from the general crowd regarding who's strong and who's weak, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Imho Dan Heng is more versatile and pretty much doesn't require any set up to be useful.

Asta is good, Lynx is a good free medic, so also worth investing. March will also get you a long way. Fire MC surprised me so much, because she (or he) could easily become unkillable, so always worth investing in. Herta is great so I also recommend.

Did you get your guaranteed 5 star yet?

Azure_Fog

More stabby, more happy~
From experience, if I had to choose between the two I'd build Dan Heng. I was really unimpressed with Dr. Ratio. People say he's good, but I noticed to have polar opposite opinion from the general crowd regarding who's strong and who's weak, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Imho Dan Heng is more versatile and pretty much doesn't require any set up to be useful.
He’s strong if you have debuffs on enemies. Also, he’s got better multipliers as a 5*. Anyways, early game doesn’t matter. (Although, the question was who is better, and objectively speaking, Ratio is.)
Asta is good, Lynx is a good free medic, so also worth investing. March will also get you a long way. Fire MC surprised me so much, because she (or he) could easily become unkillable, so always worth investing in. Herta is great so I also recommend.
Asta is very good from what I’ve heard, Lynx is great from experience, March is fine for early game and good for cheese in late game, Fire MC is good, and Herta is okay, but only really good in pure fiction (Another gamemode)

DannyTheDaikon

He’s strong if you have debuffs on enemies. Also, he’s got better multipliers as a 5*. Anyways, early game doesn’t matter. (Although, the question was who is better, and objectively speaking, Ratio is.)
Matcha just started and he's a f2p. No character that good but only under certain conditions is going to be good for him. If you're strictly f2p you have to build for utility, because you won't have characters or recourses to swap to when your conditionally good character doesn't meet conditions. Before he gets to worry about late game, he has to cover early game. And he's missing out on Acheron, who is a life saver for new players who don't have entire army of build characters for every single weakness.

This is also simply my opinion based on a fresh experience of just starting and being mostly f2p, that Matcha asked for.

SsemouyOnan

Bittersweet Cranberry Flavored Euphoria
Or you can just do remembrance cheese?
I tried remembrance cheese once.
To summarise:
'EFFECT RES EFFECT RES EFFECT RES EFFECT RES'
(i probably just got unlucky with buffs by I just switched after that since my results were dismal)
Thanks!
My advice is like, an entire version outdated. Dr. Ratio should be the better Single-target DPS, since he's the 5*... Unless they did another Aloy. But on release, Dan Heng was strong, so he should still be. Not to mention he gets extra DPS if an ally's skill targets him (March is right there). Should be easier to fulfill than Ratio's debuff on enemies, since I don't think you get Pela for free?

Asta is strong, yes, her skill is very good for breaking that white bar with fire weakness. In general, focus on building a DPS, any DPS. Then get a Preservation/Abundance character decently built, as in properly leveled and with a good lightcone. Preferably both. Harmony characters are all worth building, but you really only have to level up their traces... Unless their buffs scale off their own stats.

(This next section has a high chance of being outdated information)
Once you're like TL 40-ish, you might want to invest in a sub-dps like Serval - especially if your main is single target, you'll struggle with AOE otherwise. I heard Herta is good now because of a mode called Pure Fiction.

Tbh, just play how you want and learn what's good for you as you play. Resources aren't really hard to come across, so unless you go out of your way to do an insane amount of grinding, you won't 'waste' too much resources.

PS: Should I start a Star Rail thread?

Last edited:

SsemouyOnan

Bittersweet Cranberry Flavored Euphoria
wtf is all this genshin talk? play some real games (returns to playing minesweeper) dang it, blew up again.
I have a friend who plays minesweeper when bored. I've never seen him lose without someone distracting or sabotaging him... I don't know what black magic he's using but it's scary :blob_no:

Simple_Russian_Boi

A "normal" human | Occasionally a cat
I wonder~
UNGbOXjLVrA.jpg

Yep. There are 6 pieces of relics: 4 "armor" pieces (head, hands, chest, feet), 1 sphere and 1 rope. Each piece has a main stat and can have only 1 type of stat on it (for instance head can have only HP as main). Depending on the character you want a specific type of main stat + substat combination.

Also another tip is: don't use Fuel potions before level 40. It's not worth farming before Equilibrium 3 because only at Eq 3 good stuff starts dropping. Oh and stamina (that Trailblazer power or something) if you're at full it will automatically start storing the overflow so don't worry about having to use it. It can store up to 10days i believe Azure said.

Another thing: pull on Starter banner till your first 5 star and then move to Regular Warp banner. Don't waste warps on starter beyond that guaranteed 5 star.
:blob_evil_two: I'll pretend I understand and just won't pull the banners for some time. My luck is strange with character pulls...
I think I'll go watch some started guides.
It is, Mama. How many GB does Genshin have? I hope it's less than HSR.
:blob_blank: 90.

Azure_Fog

More stabby, more happy~
This is also simply my opinion based on a fresh experience of just starting and being mostly f2p, that Matcha asked for.
Mostly?? Anyways, I’m f2p too…
Fair points. I just find it funny you chose to use the more needy Dr. Ratio…
Matcha just started and he's a f2p. No character that good but only under certain conditions is going to be good for him. If you're strictly f2p you have to build for utility, because you won't have characters or recourses to swap to when your conditionally good character doesn't meet conditions. Before he gets to worry about late game, he has to cover early game. And he's missing out on Acheron, who is a life saver for new players who don't have entire army of build characters for every single weakness.

Acheron falls into the same category you know. She needs 2 Nihility teammates, lots of debuffs, and is the closest character to needing their signature lightcone. Acheron is literally Ratio but more needy. Most other DPS are like this too. Every DPS is weak without their supports, Ratio and Acheron simply have different support needs—debuffers not buffers. You wouldn’t call a DPS bad because they only function well in a team with 2 buffers.

And every DPS has some requirement: Seele wants to kill things to selfbuff and 2 supports. Kafka wants 2 DoT teammates. Black Swan practically doesn’t function without Kafka. Dan Heng IL meeds 3 skill points every turn so you can’t run him with skill point intensive supports. Jingliu only does damage in her enhanced state and needs high HP teammates. Blade needs hide HP and doesn’t work with attack buffers. Topaz needs other people who use follow-up attacks. Jing Yuan wants buffs that last longer than 1 turn. Clara has to get hit. Himeko needs enemies to be broken. Argenti wants as much energy regen as possible. Qingque needs lots of skill points, randomly. Sushang needs weakness broken enemies. Herta needs a constant enemy supply. Dan Heng* wants buffers who target him with allies. Sampo, Serval, and Guinaifen basically need Kafka. Luka* needs to break enemies. Hook* wants burn on enemies. Misha* needs lots of skill point usage. Xueyi needs constant toughness damage.

* = not sure exactly how this character works. Not used in Memory of Chaos or Pure Fiction very often either. (Does not necessarily mean that all non *’d units are used in MoC or PF often. Almost all 4* DPS are never used)

TL;DR: Every DPS has something they need to reach their full potential (see above list). Ratio’s conditions aren’t hard to meet and is great.

DannyTheDaikon

:blob_evil_two: I'll pretend I understand and just won't pull the banners for some time. My luck is strange with character pulls...
I think I'll go watch some started guides.
Just start playing and you will understand. In the warp section you have 2 permanent banners: starter and regular. Starter uses less tickets 8 (as opposed to 10) and it guarantees a 5* within 50 pulls.

Regular banner is just the one that will be there permanently and have a group of characters that you could pull (limited like Acheron aren't included). And after you pull 300 times on it you get to select a character you want, that's why it's better to funnel all of the remaining standard pulls there.

Mostly?? Anyways, I’m f2p too…
Fair points. I just find it funny you chose to use the more needy Dr. Ratio…
...But I didn't? :blob_neutral: I'm not using him at all, because after I tried him for free I realized that I will have a hard time to fulfill his requirements and the headache for me isn't worth it.
Acheron falls into the same category you know. She needs 2 Nihility teammates, lots of debuffs, and is the closest character to needing their signature lightcone. Acheron is literally Ratio but more needy. Most other DPS are like this too. Every DPS is weak without their supports, Ratio and Acheron simply have different support needs—debuffers not buffers. You wouldn’t call a DPS bad because they only function well in a team with 2 buffers.
But... she doesn't. I'm literally running her without any of this things and I'm breezing through stuff thanks to her. The things you say are quality of life improvements for sure, but they only start matter late game and by that time there's high chance to get this for her without much issues. I'm glad I decided to pull for her, because I don't think I would be able to get as far without her.
And every DPS has some requirement: Seele wants to kill things to selfbuff and 2 supports. Kafka wants 2 DoT teammates. Black Swan practically doesn’t function without Kafka. Dan Heng IL meeds 3 skill points every turn so you can’t run him with skill point intensive supports. Jingliu only does damage in her enhanced state and needs high HP teammates. Blade needs hide HP and doesn’t work with attack buffers. Topaz needs other people who use follow-up attacks. Jing Yuan wants buffs that last longer than 1 turn. Clara has to get hit. Himeko needs enemies to be broken. Argenti wants as much energy regen as possible. Qingque needs lots of skill points, randomly. Sushang needs weakness broken enemies. Herta needs a constant enemy supply. Dan Heng* wants buffers who target him with allies. Sampo, Serval, and Guinaifen basically need Kafka. Luka* needs to break enemies. Hook* wants burn on enemies. Misha* needs lots of skill point usage. Xueyi needs constant toughness damage.

* = not sure exactly how this character works. Not used in Memory of Chaos or Pure Fiction very often either. (Does not necessarily mean that all non *’d units are used in MoC or PF often. Almost all 4* DPS are never used)

TL;DR: Every DPS has something they need to reach their full potential (see above list). Ratio’s conditions aren’t hard to meet and is great.
Yes, any DPS will have different requirements, but since you are so aware of them you should also know that some are easier to fulfill then others. And also it all will depend on every person playstyle and what other characters you have.

You think I'm wrong then you think I'm wrong, I'm not trying to convince you. Matcha asked for my opinion so I gave him one.

I seriously don't know if I offended you with something lately or what did I do to make you so angry at me and pick on everything I say. I'm sorry if I did, it was not my intention.

MatchaChocolate69

Did you get your guaranteed 5 star yet?
I am too afraid to waste resources and pull a junk. :sweating_profusely: So I will save tickets and never pull.
Can trash characters be pulverized and turned into something useful?

I hope I never get isekai'd into a gacha like in that Korean novel I was reading, the name of which I can't remember.

I actually don't mind him, although I prefer to always have AoE attacks available in my play style. Or at least, I'd like him to hit harder if he's going to be single target dps. I don't like Dr. Ratio's aesthetics, so I'll gladly discard him following your advice.

Noted! March is annoyingly cute. It had stuck with me that she was found frozen.
:blob_neutral: <- does not like Herta very much

Asta is very good from what I’ve heard, Lynx is great from experience, March is fine for early game and good for cheese in late game, Fire MC is good, and Herta is okay, but only really good in pure fiction (Another gamemode)
Isn't Natasha good?

My advice is like, an entire version outdated. Dr. Ratio should be the better Single-target DPS, since he's the 5*... Unless they did another Aloy. But on release, Dan Heng was strong, so he should still be. Not to mention he gets extra DPS if an ally's skill targets him (March is right there). Should be easier to fulfill than Ratio's debuff on enemies, since I don't think you get Pela for free?

Asta is strong, yes, her skill is very good for breaking that white bar with fire weakness. In general, focus on building a DPS, any DPS. Then get a Preservation/Abundance character decently built, as in properly leveled and with a good lightcone. Preferably both. Harmony characters are all worth building, but you really only have to level up their traces... Unless their buffs scale off their own stats.

(This next section has a high chance of being outdated information)
Once you're like TL 40-ish, you might want to invest in a sub-dps like Serval - especially if your main is single target, you'll struggle with AOE otherwise. I heard Herta is good now because of a mode called Pure Fiction.

Tbh, just play how you want and learn what's good for you as you play. Resources aren't really hard to come across, so unless you go out of your way to do an insane amount of grinding, you won't 'waste' too much resources.

PS: Should I start a Star Rail thread?
This is gold! Thank you.

:blob_blank:🔫

MatchaChocolate69

Regular banner is just the one that will be there permanently and have a group of characters that you could pull (limited like Acheron aren't included). And after you pull 300 times on it you get to select a character you want, that's why it's better to funnel all of the remaining standard pulls there.
:blob_hmm: Really want Himeko. Useful info.

Azure_Fog

More stabby, more happy~
...But I didn't? :blob_neutral: I'm not using him at all, because after I tried him for free I realized that I will have a hard time to fulfill his requirements and the headache for me isn't worth it.
Ah.. bad wording sorry. I meant that you chose the “more needy Dr. Ratio” as in the option that was similar to him yet more needy.
But... she doesn't. I'm literally running her without any of this things and I'm breezing through stuff thanks to her. The things you say are quality of life improvements for sure, but they only start matter late game and by that time there's high chance to get this for her without much issues. I'm glad I decided to pull for her, because I don't think I would be able to get as far without her.
Fair point with breezing through things. I think we’ve begun to answer questions… You’re answering who is better currently for Matcha while I’m answering better in the long run. Also Acheron does 5/8 the damage she could without 2 nihility teammates. Losing almost half your damage isn’t great.
Yes, any DPS will have different requirements, but since you are so aware of them you should also know that some are easier to fulfill then others. And also it all will depend on every person playstyle and what other characters you have.
True.
You think I'm wrong then you think I'm wrong, I'm not trying to convince you. Matcha asked for my opinion so I gave him one.
I think we’ve answered different questions. Both of us are correct to our respective questions.
I seriously don't know if I offended you with something lately or what did I do to make you so angry at me and pick on everything I say. I'm sorry if I did, it was not my intention.
…but I’m not angry?
See? This is why I was wary of posting my rant…
I feel like when I start debating things my tone becomes arrogant and condescending… and I guess it did. I’m sorry. I’m picking apart everything you say not because I’m angry, but simply because I believed you were wrong. We have different opinions, and in combination with my belief of you being wrong, it turns on my debating switch. Then, I want to win the debate… Again, I’m sorry for making it seem like I was angry.

Azure_Fog

More stabby, more happy~
I am too afraid to waste resources and pull a junk. :sweating_profusely: So I will save tickets and never pull.

I hope I never get isekai'd into a gacha like in that Korean novel I was reading, the name of which I can't remember.
There’s a pity system at least. I can explain it if you want~
Isn't Natasha good?
Natasha is fine. Everyone us better than her but she works.

DannyTheDaikon

You're going to need to pull at some point because it will be your main source of light cones (weapon). You get some from quests but very few and only a few specific characters will benefit from them the most.

I will agree that even trash is usable in this game (I mean, MC is obsessed with trashcans...), so I wouldn't worry too much about that. It all just affects how fast you can get past certain things or how much you have to sweat.
I managed to finish the available main story with underleveled and undergeared characters, so it is possible, but I was also extremely lucky and I'm able to run a team made out of 5 stars that synergize very well with my playstyle and each other.
I actually don't mind him, although I prefer to always have AoE attacks available in my play style. Or at least, I'd like him to hit harder if he's going to be single target dps. I don't like Dr. Ratio's aesthetics, so I'll gladly discard him following your advice.
AoE>Single target 4 life :blob_shade: like Ssemouy said, for Don Heng you get the whole set up from the start, so you don't need to worry about it.
Noted! March is annoyingly cute. It had stuck with me that she was found frozen.
:blob_neutral: <- does not like Herta very much
She'll grow on you, I think :blob_evil_two:
Isn't Natasha good?
She's okay, I guess? I didn't use her much so I can't say. Most people go for Lynx from what I can tell.

Azure_Fog

More stabby, more happy~
You're going to need to pull at some point because it will be your main source of light cones (weapon). You get some from quests but very few and only a few specific characters will benefit from them the most.
Nope~ There’s several people dedicated to warpless accounts… it’s ridiculous… They’ve almost cleared MoC 12…

DannyTheDaikon

I'm gonna prefix it all with a disclaimer that I'm saying this as a personal opinion for those who are just starting and maybe want a second opinion.
Ah.. bad wording sorry. I meant that you chose the “more needy Dr. Ratio” as in the option that was similar to him yet more needy.
It's because from my experience of a noob that just started Acheron is much much more useful due to her:
1. Ability to clear trash mob without even going into battle, which is very good for Simulated Universe, since every fight is a risk of: someone dying and/or losing health.
2. The fact that she doesn't care about weakness type and breaks everything. With my pulls my team is predominantly ice/fire, so whenever I saw something requiting wind I was malding (balding from anger - malding :blob_evil_two: ) before I got Acheron. Once I got her it was just swish swoosh and done. It does help that I run her with Himeko and MC because I have her ult ready almost every turn.
And once I get to end game I will have all the time in the world to worry about her traces and stats and optimizing her, because I already got her and I can build her anytime.
Fair point with breezing through things. I think we’ve begun to answer questions… You’re answering who is better currently for Matcha while I’m answering better in the long run. Also Acheron does 5/8 the damage she could without 2 nihility teammates. Losing almost half your damage isn’t great.
Long run is good, but we're talking gacha where things are time gated, that's why I gave him the advice that I did. He got Dr. Ratio already, so once he reaches endgame he can build him at any time, because chances are he will already have a full team equipped. Right now both Macha and me are facing the challenge of building everyone, so we both need to a bit cheap with recourses, because you can only get so much in 24 hours. If you could grind without being limited by stamina I'd say do whatever you want, but here it's all locked behind stamina.

Also I'm allergic to endgameidus... So many guides are just giving bad advice and scaring away players with their hyperfocus on endgame that it's just pissing me off, so I'm trying to give advice that will make it more fun for Macha to get through the early game.
…but I’m not angry?
See? This is why I was wary of posting my rant…
I feel like when I start debating things my tone becomes arrogant and condescending… and I guess it did. I’m sorry. I’m picking apart everything you say not because I’m angry, but simply because I believed you were wrong. We have different opinions, and in combination with my belief of you being wrong, it turns on my debating switch. Then, I want to win the debate… Again, I’m sorry for making it seem like I was angry.
It's okay. I just felt like since Matcha felt like I'm angry at him, then maybe I did something to offend you too and just dunno :blob_no:
Nope~ There’s several people dedicated to warpless accounts… it’s ridiculous… They’ve almost cleared MoC 12…
There are people who finish Elden Ring on SL 1 and I have the same answer - if you want challenge and suffering go for it. If you're more of a casual player or playing for fun, then don't.