Talk to Text

kira

I was wondering if anyone uses this to write their story? I just got tired of typing ..my brain works faster than my fingers haha
I am loving it! Although my roommate thought I was in my room talking to myself w/ different voices..no I haven't gone totally insane from 'stay at home'
Writing a webnovel is my secret passion so she has no clue haha..
It is great w/ conversations!
What do you think?
Im hoping it speeds up my writing so I can stockpile some chappies to have a Patreon page..:unsure:

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I do since my hands can't take the strain of typing for extended periods of time anymore. Results are ... mixed. In general, I'm happy with it but editing takes much more time now. My program has most problems with names but also some irksome stuff like the have/of problem or mixed pronouns. Sometimes, I get the strangest sentences out of it. Then again, I'm not a native speaker and my pronunciation can be very off sometimes so that is likely the reason. A native speaker should be able to get better results. If you do want to use this longterm, I think getting a good mic and maybe investing in a decent software might be a good idea.

Edited to add: If you do several chapters in a row (e.g., for that stockpile), have something to drink (imo something warm works best) ready. Dictating for long periods of time can be straining on the voice, especially so if you do it with different voices and haven't had any training.
Another thing I'd like to mention: Depending on how your program works, you might wanna do a recording at the same time. I've had the problem that the STT program suddenly froze/went into standby-mode and didn't generate text. As I'm not always in front of the PC while dictating, it happens that I only notice several minutes later. Then, a couple hundred words can be lost all at once. Having a recording helps since you can listen to that and type it up. It's not ideal but a good work-around.

Last edited:

kira

:giggle:Wow great idea about recording! I was worried about that! I have lost chapters just on my computer when the program didn't close properly..so distraught!
Thanks so much for your input! I am totally thinking this will help me get some chapters finished faster and so many ideas roll around in my head.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
it's not that my fingers work faster than my mouth, but it's just that physically speaking "fullstop" and "commar" really sets the cringe meter up to a fucken tee

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Never tried it myself, but I wish you luck, Kira-chan! *hugs*

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
I'm a self-editing author so I prefer to write on my own. I could easily see the mistakes and immediately come back to fix them.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
I can read faster than I can type. I can type faster than I can speak. I can speak faster than I can read.

Seriously, I tend to speak slower because I am overly conscious that unlike typing I can't truly edit what I've already spoken.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I go the other way, actually. I love the tactile sensation of writing so much that I write in paper notebooks first. Also, I can't really think with the temptation of the internet in front of me. Sometimes, I need to do research before I write, and I do a lot of research when typing up the second draft, but when it comes to the first draft, I need to shut down my electronics.

yansusustories

:giggle:Wow great idea about recording! I was worried about that! I have lost chapters just on my computer when the program didn't close properly..so distraught!
Thanks so much for your input! I am totally thinking this will help me get some chapters finished faster and so many ideas roll around in my head.
Yep, I adopted that method after I lost part of a chapter for the first time myself. I don't often need the recording but it's always nice to have a reassurance that if something goes awry, you have something to fall back on.
And I'd say you can save lots of time with this indeed. The initial draft needs about a third of the time for me than I'd need if I typed. The only downside is really the edit. I hardly needed to edit at all when typing (throwing it at Grammarly once was enough) but now I need to go through the whole document, fix all the bullshit the STT program left and then throw it through Grammarly and there'll still be some mistakes left (homophones are a nightmare). So double-checking would be a good idea but I don't bother since I'll do that for the paperback publication anyway. That comes down to personal preference though I guess.

Some other things I'd like to add in case somebody is thinking of maybe giving this a try:
Dictating chapters can be weird in the beginning. Especially because you have to dictate punctuation as well - as @BenJepheneT already mentioned. I very regularly forgot commas in the beginning so I needed to edit that in later on. I also had the problem that I sometimes didn't know if I had done the fullstop already but didn't want to walk back to the laptop to check so I often have two in a row that I don't need.
Overall, this is something you get used to rather fast though. After a week or two, it starts being normal. Then you might have a phase where when you talk with people, it'll be strange not to say each comma in your sentences :blob_sweat: I swear, this passes though.

One of the things I feel to be really nice about dictating instead of typing is that it doesn't just save time for the first draft. It can save you time overall if you go about it in a smart way: If you use a Bluetooth headset or maybe one with a long enough cable (From what I read, a cable is better and you should get one with a USB port instead of the audio-thingy. This seems to affect the sound quality.), you can do other stuff while dictating. Personally, I love cooking while doing my chapters :blob_aww: But other housework also works really well for me. I'd suggest only doing that after getting used to dictating though since it can be a bit distracting at first.

Another benefit is that it can be good for your health. Now, I mentioned initially that I can't type for extended periods of time. I also have some back problems and all of this shit comes from writing too much with the latter also being because of a not-that-great sitting posture (found a way to make that better but still).
When dictating, you can get up and walk around though. Heck, you can even do a workout if you want to (although I personally hate the breathing noises on the recording so I don't do that - same for eating, btw). For me, I noticed that both problems were slowly getting better after a few weeks. Now, I'm mostly pain-free.
So, if you do have any physical pain that's caused by sitting too much/weirdly or something like that, dictating might be a good idea. At the very least, it's worth a try. You might not notice it immediately but things can turn around in just a few weeks.

If anybody has specific questions, you can ask me. I've been almost exclusively dictating for the past year now unless I'm in a situation where I feel it'd be rude (like on public transport or something).

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
@yansusustories, before the prevalence of online word processors, people would type all their content first before marking up the text with tags.

Could you not opt to record your first draft as pure audio?

yansusustories

@yansusustories, before the prevalence of online word processors, people would type all their content first before marking up the text with tags.

Could you not opt to record your first draft as pure audio?
Not quite sure if I get what you mean :blob_hmm_two: Like, from a personal standpoint, sure, I could do that. But what would be the benefit of that for me? I'd still need to type it down afterward, no? The TTS program is what is saving me from having to type everything.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
@yansusustories, sorry, I should have expounded. I thought the analogy was enough.

First draft, pure audio. Second draft, TTS while referencing first draft. I was hypothesizing that this extra step could potentially cut down on post-editing work as you will be focusing on marking up (comma, period, etc.) instead of the composing of the story.

yansusustories

@yansusustories, sorry, I should have expounded. I thought the analogy was enough.

First draft, pure audio. Second draft, TTS while referencing first draft. I was hypothesizing that this extra step could potentially cut down on post-editing work as you will be focusing on marking up (comma, period, etc.) instead of the composing of the story.
I see now. Tbh, it wouldn't work for me since (after initially getting used to it) I seldom forget the commas anymore and the only problem is having two periods after each other (in regards to punctuation). The latter is something that can be easily solved by just using search and replace so not too much of a problem. The bigger problem would be homophones but regardless of how often I speak that in, the TTS program might still pick the wrong one. It's just a matter of statistics (as in it picks the word that is more often used even if the other one would be the right one in that instance).

I also think that referencing an audio file might be more difficult than it sounds. After all, you'd need to listen and then dictate the revised version. That way, you'd need more time: For one, you'd need to speak the same text twice with only slight changes and then there'd be additional pauses in between for changing programs and stuff. At least to me, that would outweigh the pros it might have.

kira

Never tried it myself, but I wish you luck, Kira-chan! *hugs*
Thanks Alice! :giggle:I like it so far especially for conversations between characters. It comes out a bit like MTL haha but it's kinda fun!:er_what_s:

I tried it, but I felt uncomfortable with speaking out loud what I want to write...
It’s nothing for me. :sweating_profusely:
You have a point I might type my NSFW chappies haha..for now talk to text is fun for me.:love:

I go the other way, actually. I love the tactile sensation of writing so much that I write in paper notebooks first. Also, I can't really think with the temptation of the internet in front of me. Sometimes, I need to do research before I write, and I do a lot of research when typing up the second draft, but when it comes to the first draft, I need to shut down my electronics.
I envy people who use that method to write..sounds so( might sound wierd-romantic) haha.. I picture a writer hands on head pushing up gold rimmed glasses on handsome face sitting at the desk crumbling paper unsatisfied tossing onto littered floor- I bring a cup of tea then massage his shoulders silently comforting him...haha..
My perfectionist...
I am way too lazy for that..although I absolutely love to receive handwritten letters!

Yep, I adopted that method after I lost part of a chapter for the first time myself. I don't often need the recording but it's always nice to have a reassurance that if something goes awry, you have something to fall back on.
And I'd say you can save lots of time with this indeed. The initial draft needs about a third of the time for me than I'd need if I typed. The only downside is really the edit. I hardly needed to edit at all when typing (throwing it at Grammarly once was enough) but now I need to go through the whole document, fix all the bullshit the STT program left and then throw it through Grammarly and there'll still be some mistakes left (homophones are a nightmare). So double-checking would be a good idea but I don't bother since I'll do that for the paperback publication anyway. That comes down to personal preference though I guess.

Some other things I'd like to add in case somebody is thinking of maybe giving this a try:
Dictating chapters can be weird in the beginning. Especially because you have to dictate punctuation as well - as @BenJepheneT already mentioned. I very regularly forgot commas in the beginning so I needed to edit that in later on. I also had the problem that I sometimes didn't know if I had done the fullstop already but didn't want to walk back to the laptop to check so I often have two in a row that I don't need.
Overall, this is something you get used to rather fast though. After a week or two, it starts being normal. Then you might have a phase where when you talk with people, it'll be strange not to say each comma in your sentences :blob_sweat: I swear, this passes though.

One of the things I feel to be really nice about dictating instead of typing is that it doesn't just save time for the first draft. It can save you time overall if you go about it in a smart way: If you use a Bluetooth headset or maybe one with a long enough cable (From what I read, a cable is better and you should get one with a USB port instead of the audio-thingy. This seems to affect the sound quality.), you can do other stuff while dictating. Personally, I love cooking while doing my chapters :blob_aww: But other housework also works really well for me. I'd suggest only doing that after getting used to dictating though since it can be a bit distracting at first.

Another benefit is that it can be good for your health. Now, I mentioned initially that I can't type for extended periods of time. I also have some back problems and all of this shit comes from writing too much with the latter also being because of a not-that-great sitting posture (found a way to make that better but still).
When dictating, you can get up and walk around though. Heck, you can even do a workout if you want to (although I personally hate the breathing noises on the recording so I don't do that - same for eating, btw). For me, I noticed that both problems were slowly getting better after a few weeks. Now, I'm mostly pain-free.
So, if you do have any physical pain that's caused by sitting too much/weirdly or something like that, dictating might be a good idea. At the very least, it's worth a try. You might not notice it immediately but things can turn around in just a few weeks.

If anybody has specific questions, you can ask me. I've been almost exclusively dictating for the past year now unless I'm in a situation where I feel it'd be rude (like on public transport or something).
Thanks so much for the input! I don't think I could write while cooking..dance yes..writing no..
I said in different post it does look like MTL but I correct as I go and laugh at the distortion..for now one day in I am loving it for the first draft! I am a chatty person so I do find it easier to find 'word' while speaking the dialogue between characters.lol
I appreciate your offer to help and won't be polite and take you up on it in future! Thanks again! :giggle:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Thanks Alice! :giggle:I like it so far especially for conversations between characters. It comes out a bit like MTL haha but it's kinda fun!:er_what_s:
You're double posting again...