The hardest you’ve cringed rewriting an old work?

AKnightWithaKnife

I’m currently rewriting an old work with the skills I’ve learned from a summer course and I can’t help but cringe at some lines. that got me wondering if other authors feel this way!

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
All the time. It's a sign of growth so if you cringe then that's a good thing. However, it also means you have more to edit. it is both a blessing and a curse.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I’m currently rewriting an old work with the skills I’ve learned from a summer course and I can’t help but cringe at some lines. that got me wondering if other authors feel this way!
my only real weakness from when i started out writing was infodumping. Other than that, everything else was on point, in particular character interactions. But my very first stories that I've tried to rewrite? I just wrote so damn much info that i didn't know what to keep and what to toss out. It would have had to be all done from scratch and i didn't wanna go that far so i left it alone.

I could definitely write it better now, but i wont bother. I'm already fucking swamped with stories i have to write

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
I literally cringe while writing my current work. So I can assure you it’s normal to feel this way

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
I literally cringe while writing my current work. So I can assure you it’s normal to feel this way
Imo, when I cringe writing a current chapter nowadays I stop and think, and perhaps adjust the scene. Usually, for me, the cringe comes from the pacing as I slip up and overexplain something or drag out the scene for too long for no reason

PhillisCreziles

﹤Once a Potato﹥
Bro this happens all the time, especially when I reread my works lol. For example, I somehow keep putting "and and" in my chapters without knowing it and and I've got to stop that some time soon. Good thing I have basic writing checks tho.

killwrites

Need motivation
when i first started writing stories, i literally googled synonyms of every word and tried to find obscure words that means the same thing because i thought using such words would be more impressive.

I didn't rewrite my first story, but when I reread it later down the road i realized that it really wasn't necessary to change "money" into "wherewithal" for every sentence

EternalSunset0

I don't.

I generally hate cringe culture and find it disrespectful.

I've had a lot of bad writing that never made it out of the word processor, and I'm not exactly proud of the stories I assisted with back before I started actually posting stuff online. But I don't laugh or cringe at those because the me of back then had poured in actual love and passion when doing those. I was young. I was naive. Why laugh at someone who did not know better when he was legit pouring in passion into it and enjoying it?

Heck, what I just typed might sound cringe to some, but what am I supposed to do? Not reply, fake it, or not share my honest thoughts at all in order to be one of the "cool guys?"

That sounded angery, but I'm not, don't worry lol.

BlackKnightX

It means that you’ve gotten better. As for me? I don’t really cringe much as I already used to it. 😂

When I read some fan fictions on the internet and found a sentence that’s too long, I just shortened it in my mind as I go. It’s easier for me to read and also a good way to practice.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
After some time reading fanfics in Wattpad, the only way I'm genuinely cringing at my old writing is if I look at my journals from elementary school

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
After some time reading fanfics in Wattpad, the only way I'm genuinely cringing at my old writing is if I look at my journals from elementary school
holy fucking shit dude, you killed them.

Legit just burned the hell out of half of Wattpad.
Every time I write something I wish to collect all infinity stones to snap myself out of existence
noooo dont kill yourself your dick too fat.
(imagine a hot random internet thot told you this)

AKnightWithaKnife

My husband was helping my parents clean out the attic and found some old notebooks . . . :sweating_profusely:
God I wonder what my partner will think when looking through my WW2 phase notebooks
It means that you’ve gotten better. As for me? I don’t really cringe much as I already used to it. 😂

When I read some fan fictions on the internet and found a sentence that’s too long, I just shortened it in my mind as I go. It’s easier for me to read and also a good way to practice.
Bro you haven’t read something on webnovel huh ?

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Upon recovering my 10 year old rp account, I was mortified to discover my writing didn't improve at all since then.