The Trollers are learning

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Tbf, there some instances where basically everything in the front page got 1*, so... It's not without precedents.

... But well, we don't really have any way of knowing if the rating is legit or not. I personally stopped caring for 1* when I got one in my novel and was like... "Wait, was it really that bad...?"

Then I realized if the person really cared, they'd have left a review explaining why they hated my novel... Since they didn't, I just assumed it was left on a whim and moved on.
He only has 4 star rankings tota on his fiction he was mentioning and it's nowhere near high enough in the ranking to be applicable to anything you said about purposeful trolls. So he is just jumping on the "it's a troll bandwagon" because he didn't like the 1-star rating. And what's amusing to me is it's the ONLY ONE STAR on the fiction. He like everyone else here, is heavily biased.like I said before, no one complains if they all get bunches of 5's which I think are just as absurd if not more so than people THINK the 1 stars are because there is no way in hell so much of the fiction here truly deserves them so frequently. But drop a 1? Suddenly torches and pitchforks and whining about trolls.

People here aren't looking to improve, they just want their ego and vanity fed. Otherwise your a troll. I've left detailed reviews on fictions I thought were shit,I even went through them in details on why I disliked what I liked and how they might improve as per my opinion. I've only ever given a single one star, plenty of 2's and 3's though. Half of those reviews were eventually removed because the authors pissed and moaned about them to Tony on his/her profile page. Nevermind the constructive detail I put into detailing what I disliked and how I thought it might improved. They only cared about me not giving them a damn 5. Two of them on multiple occasions called me a troll. I don't even give reviews anymore. No one actually wants them. Just drop a 5 and let them masturbate to it and they'll be just fine.

Last edited:

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
He only has 4 star rankings tota on his fiction he was mentioning and it's nowhere near high enough in the ranking to be applicable to anything you said about purposeful trolls. So he is just jumping on the "it's a troll bandwagon" because he didn't like the 1-star rating. And what's amusing to me is it's the ONLY ONE STAR on the fiction. He like everyone else here, is heavily biased.like I said before, no one complains if they all get bunches of 5's which I think are just as absurd if not more so than people THINK the 1 stars are because there is no way in hell so much of the fiction here truly deserves them so frequently. But drop a 1? Suddenly torches and pitchforks and whining about trolls.

People here aren't looking to improve, they just want their ego and vanity fed. Otherwise your a troll. I've left detailed reviews on fictions I thought were shit,I even went through them in details on why I disliked what I liked and how they might improve as per my opinion. I've only ever given a single one star, plenty of 2's though. Everyone of those reviews were eventually removed because the authors pissed and moaned about them to Tony on his profile page. Nevermind the constructive detail I put into detailing what I disliked and how I thought it might improved. They only cares about me not giving them a damn 5. Two of them on multiple occasions called me a troll. I don't even give reviews anymore. No one actually wants them. Just drop a 5 and let them masturbate to it and they'll be just fine.

Yes I understand what you're going on about, and I too, find myself wincing whenever I see someone disparage one stars and accuse them of being trolls. But watching you rage about it is just as bad.
Like yeah, I get it, people who give one stars aren't some incomprehensible species and they aren't necessarily trolls, but the same should be said for the authors. Not all of them have to be arrogant egomaniacs (like you make them out to be) to say a one star is a troll. Not to mention, I've never seen anyone directly avoid baseless five stars when criticizing troll ratings. They just don't mention it.
Yes it could be assumed that they didn't mention them because they're "egotistical babies who only believe in one stars", but it's far more likely they just aren't going to complain about it. It's like wanting someone to show the same amount of frustration to getting a free one hundred dollar bill in the mail as they would when they get their package stolen. It's illogical to get mad at someone who doesn't complain about five stars, because nobody would complain about something that benefits them, just because you think they believe in only the good reviews.
I'm sure there are people out there who only trust good reviews and disparage the bad ones, but I don't think it's some rampant discrimination between the two star ratings like you seem to believe.

No matter what the real situation is, I don't think reiterating the same point over and over is going to make anyone change their opinion.

At this point you're like AliceShiki except for people calling one star reviews trolls instead of double posting. If I ever see another one I'll @ you so you can get mad at them :blob_happy:

Discount_Blade

Yes I understand what you're going on about, and I too, find myself wincing whenever I see someone disparage one stars and accuse them of being trolls. But watching you rage about it is just as bad.
Like yeah, I get it, people who give one stars aren't some incomprehensible species and they aren't necessarily trolls, but the same should be said for the authors. Not all of them have to be arrogant egomaniacs (like you make them out to be) to say a one star is a troll. Not to mention, I've never seen anyone directly avoid baseless five stars when criticizing troll ratings. They just don't mention it.
Yes it could be assumed that they didn't mention them because they're "egotistical babies who only believe in one stars", but it's far more likely they just aren't going to complain about it. It's like wanting someone to show the same amount of frustration to getting a free one hundred dollar bill in the mail as they would when they get their package stolen. It's illogical to get mad at someone who doesn't complain about five stars, because nobody would complain about something that benefits them, just because you think they believe in only the good reviews.
I'm sure there are people out there who only trust good reviews and disparage the bad ones, but I don't think it's some rampant discrimination between the two star ratings like you seem to believe.

No matter what the real situation is, I don't think reiterating the same point over and over is going to make anyone change their opinion.

At this point you're like AliceShiki except for people calling one star reviews trolls instead of double posting. If I ever see another one I'll @ you so you can get mad at them :blob_happy:
Of course they don't mention it. Like I said, it feeds their vanity., Why would they mention it? And I disagree with you. I do find a good chunk of the authors here to be egotistical. Not arrogant because that would imply they had a high level of self-confidence, in which case they wouldn't be crying about 1-stars. So, definitely not arrogant. Even egotistical could be debatable. I do however accuse most of them of whining undeservedly at the drop of a hat the very moment someone doesn't cater to their fragile sense of self-achievement.

I also DO think most of them ONLY trust the good reviews and not the bad ones, since that has been my experience and I've seen very little evidence otherwise. You have far more faith in people than I do. I scrape the bottom of the barrel for any such faith and more often come up empty than not. Kudos to you. I genuinely mean it.

That likely makes you a better person than I. Oh well.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
Of course they don't mention it. Like I said, it feeds their vanity., Why would they mention it? And I disagree with you. I do find a good chunk of the authors here to be egotistical. Not arrogant because that would imply they had a high level of self-confidence, in which case they wouldn't be crying about 1-stars. So, definitely not arrogant. Even egotistical could be debatable. I do however accuse most of them of whining undeservedly at the drop of a hat the very moment someone doesn't cater to their fragile sense of self-achievement.

I also DO think most of them ONLY trust the good reviews and not the bad ones, since that has been my experience and I've seen very little evidence otherwise. You have far more faith in people than I do. I scrape the bottom of the barrel for any such faith and more often come up empty than not. Kudos to you. I genuinely mean it.

That likely makes you a better person than I. Oh well.
Well I don't think complaining about someone "hurting" you out of the blue is anything strange. To use one of these god forsaken analogies again, that's like telling someone they can't complain when they get fired randomly because they didn't complain when they got promoted for no reason because then they'd be hypocrites. And what's bad about people wanting to believe people who say good things about them? You shouldn't make people feel like they're unwanted just because they got sad after getting their first one star and didn't mention their first five stars. Not all authors can stand upon this pedestal of self confidence and carry that "I don't give a flying fuck about your opinion" mantra.
The "complaining about one stars thinking they're a troll when really they might not be and you're just retarded and vain" thing is like a mine. People who skim the forums and hear about the whole "some one stars are trolls" thing, might step up and complain and then be faced with all these angry users spamming:
download (14).png

I understand what you're angry about and I think it's reasonable, but your reaction is overzealous and unnecessary. It feels like you're nitpicking. Catching users being hypocrites for the sake of their vanity is one thing, but when you repeatedly pick out how people don't criticize their baseless high reviews it feels like you're just looking for times they did something you didn't like.
It's like that guy who asked for free art, all you had to do was politely tell him off or somethin', or no, feel free to get angry all you want, but over and over and over, is just pointless and hard to watch.
To me, at least, you're coming off like some goth kid who gets mad at someone because they do something everyone else does. Just calmly roast their vanity and get on with it.
At the end of the day, this discussion had the opposite effect. Whenever I saw someone calling a single one star a troll I cringed a little too, it just felt like a childish thing to complain about. But your repeated disdain for the people who do things like that has sparked my contrarian nature and now I don't feel like disliking them anymore.

You managed to change my opinion in the opposite way that was intended, and, honestly, I applaud you :blob_sir:

Also, I think the difference in opinion here is really just a difference in mindset. In my heart of hearts, I'm quite naive, and I've always found it uncomfortable when someone is believed to be so unnecessarily mean or despicable. Similar to the feeling you get when reading about a two dimensional villain who's evil just to progress the plot.
You assume the worst in people (on the internet, at least), which unlike in a book where it's okay to assume everyone has good intentions and reasoning deep inside, will probably benefit you in the long run.

That likely makes you a smarter person than I. Oh well.

Discount_Blade

Well I don't think complaining about someone "hurting" you out of the blue is anything strange. To use one of these god forsaken analogies again, that's like telling someone they can't complain when they get fired randomly because they didn't complain when they got promoted for no reason because then they'd be hypocrites. And what's bad about people wanting to believe people who say good things about them? You shouldn't make people feel like they're unwanted just because they got sad after getting their first one star and didn't mention their first five stars. Not all authors can stand upon this pedestal of self confidence and carry that "I don't give a flying fuck about your opinion" mantra.
The "complaining about one stars thinking they're a troll when really they might not be and you're just retarded and vain" thing is like a mine. People who skim the forums and hear about the whole "some one stars are trolls" thing, might step up and complain and then be faced with all these angry users spamming:
View attachment 4213

I understand what you're angry about and I think it's reasonable, but your reaction is overzealous and unnecessary. It feels like you're nitpicking. Catching users being hypocrites for the sake of their vanity is one thing, but when you repeatedly pick out how people don't criticize their baseless high reviews it feels like you're just looking for times they did something you didn't like.
It's like that guy who asked for free art, all you had to do was politely tell him off or somethin', or no, feel free to get angry all you want, but over and over and over, is just pointless and hard to watch.
To me, at least, you're coming off like some goth kid who gets mad at someone because they do something everyone else does. Just calmly roast their vanity and get on with it.
At the end of the day, this discussion had the opposite effect. Whenever I saw someone calling a single one star a troll I cringed a little too, it just felt like a childish thing to complain about. But your repeated disdain for the people who do things like that has sparked my contrarian nature and now I don't feel like disliking them anymore.

You managed to change my opinion in the opposite way that was intended, and, honestly, I applaud you :blob_sir:

Also, I think the difference in opinion here is really just a difference in mindset. In my heart of hearts, I'm quite naive, and I've always found it uncomfortable when someone is believed to be so unnecessarily mean or despicable. Similar to the feeling you get when reading about a two dimensional villain who's evil just to progress the plot.
You assume the worst in people (on the internet, at least), which unlike in a book where it's okay to assume everyone has good intentions and reasoning deep inside, will probably benefit you in the long run.

That likely makes you a smarter person than I. Oh well.
Well played. I apologize for my "overzealousness" as you call it. Still, my opinions haven't changed. I still think they need to get the fuck over it and that their usage of the word troll is incorrect and their only weakening any power the word once had. But okay. I apologize for making you type all this.
Catching users being hypocrites for the sake of their vanity is one thing, but when you repeatedly pick out how people don't criticize their baseless high reviews it feels like you're just looking for times they did something you didn't like.

I still find this to be a problem though and I find your dismissal of it to be another part of the same problem that will only see people continuing to cry over and over about 1-stars. I also think it will one day escalate into people complaining about ANYTHING less than 5-stars if people don't stop entertaining this mess.

Anyway, I appreciate the responses Maple. Cool dude.

Oh yeah and cool ass meme too.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice

People here aren't looking to improve, they just want their ego and vanity fed. Otherwise your a troll. I've left detailed reviews on fictions I thought were shit,I even went through them in details on why I disliked what I liked and how they might improve as per my opinion. I've only ever given a single one star, plenty of 2's and 3's though. Half of those reviews were eventually removed because the authors pissed and moaned about them to Tony on his/her profile page. Nevermind the constructive detail I put into detailing what I disliked and how I thought it might improved. They only cared about me not giving them a damn 5. Two of them on multiple occasions called me a troll. I don't even give reviews anymore. No one actually wants them. Just drop a 5 and let them masturbate to it and they'll be just fine.
Eh? That's weird, your review was removed?

Did you ask Tony why? He won't remove reviews simply for being negative, you must have broken one of the review guidelines for that to happen...
I don't complain that much about double posts! >.<

It just triggers me a lot... But I keep the complains for myself... >.>

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
Well played. I apologize for my "overzealousness" as you call it. Still, my opinions haven't changed. I still think they need to get the fuck over it and that their usage of the word troll is incorrect and their only weakening any power the word once had. But okay. I apologize for making you type all this.

I still find this to be a problem though and I find your dismissal of it to be another part of the same problem that will only see people continuing to cry over and over about 1-stars. I also think it will one day escalate into people complaining about ANYTHING less than 5-stars if people don't stop entertaining this mess.

Anyway, I appreciate the responses Maple. Cool dude.

Oh yeah and cool ass meme too.
Did I use the word overzealous wrong??? Now I feel dumb...

Well anyway good luck in your efforts to stop people from complaining about ratings :blob_sir:

Discount_Blade

Eh? That's weird, your review was removed?

Did you ask Tony why? He won't remove reviews simply for being negative, you must have broken one of the review guidelines for that to happen...

I don't complain that much about double posts! >.<

It just triggers me a lot... But I keep the complains for myself... >.>
Pretty sure I didn't. Ive seen way more critical reviews with loads of profanity sit around with nothing said.

AliceShiki

Pretty sure I didn't. Ive seen way more critical reviews with loads of profanity sit around with nothing said.
Oof... That's really rough... I have no idea what might have happened, but Tony is usually pretty fair with those things...

Ganbatte! >.<

Discount_Blade

Maybe the author really wanted it removed so he just did it?

Oof... That's really rough... I have no idea what might have happened, but Tony is usually pretty fair with those things...

Ganbatte! >.<

I think it's like I surmised, they repeatedly reminded Tony of it and it was enacted just to squash the problem altogether. I hold no ill will towards Tony if that's true because at the end of the day, they run an entire site that is extremely alive and steadily growing. They can't afford to constantly judge every single minutiae of every discussion/situation on whether it's right or wrong. Compromises and decisions that are not always right or fair WILL be made occasionally in the long-term and this is inevitable.

Being a leader is quite often about making tough decisions with few or no good options available. So you do damage control and pick the option that does the least amount of damage, or in less severe cases like trivial instances such as this, the one that offends the least amount of people or restores peace and quiet the quickest.

And besides, I'm not the type of person to go piss and moan to someone else about things I consider trivial in the first place. Life is too short and bitter for that.

Last edited:

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
And besides, I'm not the type of person to go piss and moan to someone else about things I consider trivial in the first place. Life is too short and bitter for that.
Right? I swear I'd never be able to work up the courage to even ask Tony to change my username. It's like everything pertaining to me is a major inconvenience that I don't want to trouble anyone with :blob_happy:

AliceShiki

Right? I swear I'd never be able to work up the courage to even ask Tony to change my username. It's like everything pertaining to me is a major inconvenience that I don't want to trouble anyone with :blob_happy:
You really shouldn't overthink it. It's not particularly hard for him to change your username~

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
No no not that I want to, I just can't imagine doing it if I did want to.