Thoughts on Gina Carano.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
There's going to come a point when elves, dwarves, furries, vampires, tenctacle monsters etc become a real thing because we have the ability to give people any body they could possibly want. Simple human transsexualism seems kinda quaint in comparison to that.
...see now THOSE are cool tho.

es_carva

Personally speaking, even if you don't agree with their identity, least you could do is respect it.

I have my own opinions on the subject, and I'd rather step on an actual landmine than discussing it on public in here. But the bottom line is; it's just pronouns. No matter what your thoughts are, just saying the pronouns really just makes things better for both them and you.

I'm not saying you're not entitled to your own thought, I'm just confused as to why you'd shoot yourself in the foot and garner irrational attention.
I agree. I think it's pretty simple: if your mother, a sibling, or just someone you like to hang out with decided to change their own name, you wouldn't call them by the old ones on purpose if you knew it makes them feel sad, let alone mock them about it. I think the only reason this is an issue in the first place is that most people lack empathy and refuse to think this could ever happen to someone they are close to.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
bruh who cares. Like don't people call girls 'he' sometimes? I don't think the situation should change just because you want to be called neither.
If it personally bothers someone and you do it just because, then I suppose could step into less trivial grounds but it's no different from calling someone who's personally offended by being called stupid, stupid.

officialue

There's going to be backlash on the trans community with how insanely prickly and touchy they are at some point. Outside of the twitter bubble people like and respect people like J.K Rowling and Gina Carano and all they see is two people getting unjustly attacked.
Yeah the backlash with J.K. Rowling's story is just ridiculous. I can't see how anyone in their right mind is offended by that.

Vaxel00

So many people feel they werent born in the right body. I like to think that someday that wont be a problem simply for the fact that either we truly could become whatever sex we want or lose the need for a physical body in itself.

Its probably end up being a similar case to Altered Carbon where you can literally just pay to have your consciousness placed into whatever female or male body you want
There's also many people that believe themselves to be the reincarnation of jesus or other things like that, that's called schizophrenia with messiah complex, you're not supposed to take them seriously and feed their delusions.

Until actual technology develops that changes biology, men are men, and women are women. Most of the cases I've found of sexual dysphoria are directly related to hormone imbalances or deficiencies.

Aleth08

I agree. I think it's pretty simple: if your mother, a sibling, or just someone you like to hang out with decided to change their own name, you wouldn't call them by the old ones on purpose if you knew it makes them feel sad, let alone mock them about it. I think the only reason this is an issue in the first place is that most people lack empathy and refuse to think this could ever happen to someone they are close to.
Thats a deep victim mentality. The examples you gave will not happen cuz people dont work that way, unless they're mentally weak and self entitled as hell. People change names, I've known some who did, and have seen examples of such. But they dont get 'sad' cuz someone called them by their prev names. In fact, if they're even a bit mature, they wont expect anyone to call them by their new names. Other people can try and change how they call such person, but then it would be a choice. Whereas here, we have people being forced to change how they speak to cater someone else's fragile heart.

Sarang

You know the comedian Joe Rogan? Well he's been doing podcasts for some years now. DOing interviews with all kinds of people on a wide variety of topics, and on one of those podcasts they talk about how humanity seems to be going closer and closer towards things like gender not even having any meaning. Apparently we're evolving, or through the use of technology, sublimating the restrictions of what gender we were born with or even sublimating need for our physical bodies at all. Just something i found interesting at the time.

So many people feel they werent born in the right body. I like to think that someday that wont be a problem simply for the fact that either we truly could become whatever sex we want or lose the need for a physical body in itself.

Its probably end up being a similar case to Altered Carbon where you can literally just pay to have your consciousness placed into whatever female or male body you want

Have you read "Wang's Carpets" yet? Now THAT'S a huge trip on gender perception.

As far as you and Stratothrax here, I'm sure stuff like this will eventually happen though I don't see it so much as an Altered Carbon effect; I see this more as a whole body Gene Therapy service though the fact it will likely be brought to you by Monsanto makes me say "heck no"! I mean that's a case for creating deliberate defective genomes you can sell "Repo Men"(Jude Law and Forrest Whittaker) services with(same reason why I think all clones should be kept sterile).
edit: Regarding the dead naming I understand what some of you are saying but if one name is clearly male and their new one is clearly female depending on the circumstance at the time you could put them at risk. Conversely expecting someone who may have called you that old name for YEARS I can see it being difficult to call them the new one on a dime. Sometimes it's not deliberate harm but old habits.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

There's going to come a point when elves, dwarves, furries, vampires, tenctacle monsters etc become a real thing because we have the ability to give people any body they could possibly want. Simple human transsexualism seems kinda quaint in comparison to that.

That was actually the premise of a story I wrote like five years ago.

It, erm, sucked hard.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
Thats a deep victim mentality. The examples you gave will not happen cuz people dont work that way, unless they're mentally weak and self entitled as hell. People change names, I've known some who did, and have seen examples of such. But they dont get 'sad' cuz someone called them by their prev names. In fact, if they're even a bit mature, they wont expect anyone to call them by their new names. Other people can try and change how they call such person, but then it would be a choice. Whereas here, we have people being forced to change how they speak to cater someone else's fragile heart.
Yeah I thought that was a stupid thing/example he said/used too. Just because you can't handle what you really are, the world is supposed to bend over backwards and call you a Half-Female Space Igloo Praying Mantis but the pronoun used must also be She on Tuesdays and Him on every other day of the week? Fuck outta here. If it sounds like I'm belittling them, its probably because I am. You can do what you want, but when you try and force it on others, thats wrong. "Being polite" is bullshit. "Lacking empathy"? More like lacking respect for someone else's opinions. Oh I forgot, anything not to hurt someone's baby feewwings....

If you're not mature enough to handle what someone calls you in a controversial situation, probably means you aren't mature enough to carry on this delusion of yours and therefore you probably either keep the shit to yourself, or just accept that you don't get to choose how someone thinks and should move on. Make friends that accept it or are willing to ignore it for the friendship, but don't bitch and moan when someone you meet isn't so nice. They don't have to be. You don't get to decide it for them.

The entitlement is unreal with people nowadays.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

Yeah the backlash with J.K. Rowling's story is just ridiculous. I can't see how anyone in their right mind is offended by that.

They're not mad about the story, they're mad that she literally insulted trans people, then doubled down on it when called out.

It certainly didn't help that she spent years annoying people beforehand.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

Btw guys, I'm noticing that there's more anti-trans stuff in this thread than I'm comfortable with. Can you cool down on that, please? Don't hate an entire group because of a few jerks.

Vaxel00

Btw guys, I'm noticing that there's more anti-trans stuff in this thread than I'm comfortable with. Can you cool down on that, please? Don't hate an entire group because of a few jerks.
Full disclosure, I don't hate trans people. If they do happen to be happier living with an identity other than what they're born with then more power to them, as long as I'm not forced to make accommodations for them.

However, from the trans people I've known or heard of, most of them regret having the reassignment surgery. A lot of them admit that they whish someone told them to reconsider and now they have to live with a choice they can't change.

Sarang

I just wanna say here there's a difference between just being a jerk or an a-hole(hope this forum doesn't have an issue with expletives as an example here) and feeling like someone is being unreasonable in expecting you to step on eggshells every which way. In the latter I get people's anger but then I feel some lash out at everyone in general. I consider the latter to also be this nonsense of safe spaces and PCism that thwarts Free Speech and it's ironic since a lot of it tends to come from the Left(not all as I've seen people on the Right act like Snowflakes at times too).
So I guess I'm saying showing courtesy is fine for titles though I admit I find the Cisgender title ridiculous and unnecessary. How about I just call you female or male if you identify that way regardless of how you started out?

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

Full disclosure, I don't hate trans people. If they do happen to be happier living with an identity other than what they're born with then more power to them, as long as I'm not forced to make accommodations for them.

However, from the trans people I've known or heard of, most of them regret having the reassignment surgery. A lot of them admit that they whish someone told them to reconsider and now they have to live with a choice they can't change.

Honestly, this sort of sounds eerily similar to something a transphobic person would say.

"I'm not racist. If they want to celebrate their heritage in their houses and those special African places where I can't see them, I'm fine with it. However, I do have a lot of friends who moved to Africa and hated it. So, I'm not racist, but Africa kind of sucks, and so do the people. I'm just speaking facts here!"

Sarang

Wait, wait, wait...forced to make accommodations?! What does that mean?! Transwomen(because this is usually where the "concern" starts) are not pervy men dressing themselves in skirts/dresses so they can sneak in and ogle women or(and this is what it graduates to) sexually assault them. I mean this predation nonsense we heard about why Gay MEN can't be Boy Scout leaders or in the Military because of Men's showers/dressing with straight men. Ugh.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

Wait, wait, wait...forced to make accommodations?! What does that mean?! Transwomen(because this is usually where the "concern" starts) are not pervy men dressing themselves in skirts/dresses so they can sneak in and ogle women or(and this is what it graduates to) sexually assault them. I mean this predation nonsense we heard about why Gay MEN can't be Boy Scout leaders or in the Military because of Men's showers/dressing with straight men. Ugh.

Personally, I think that what should happen is that the trans people should get some kind of card or something confirming that they are transitioning if they want to use public change rooms. If only so that non-trans people can have peace of mind.

I get the concern from both sides. If I was a transgender person who looked like a man, but had a vagina, I wouldn't want to go into the men's change room. Likewise, I would be concerned if I saw a guy walking into the women's change room who clearly has all of his male parts intact.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
Honestly, this sort of sounds eerily similar to something a transphobic person would say.

"I'm not racist. If they want to celebrate their heritage in their houses and those special African places where I can't see them, I'm fine with it. However, I do have a lot of friends who moved to Africa and hated it. So, I'm not racist, but Africa kind of sucks, and so do the people. I'm just speaking facts here!"
Way to go trying not to fan the flames bud. (Full on sarcasm)

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

Way to go trying not to fan the flames bud. (Full on sarcasm)

I feel as though it was appropriate in this case. Very few people think that they're beliefs are racist/sexist. Sometimes, they need to look at their beliefs in a different light to realize: "Wait, am I the asshole here? Maybe I need to change a bit."

officialue

They're not mad about the story, they're mad that she literally insulted trans people, then doubled down on it when called out.

It certainly didn't help that she spent years annoying people beforehand.
they're mad about the story....so they're offended by it. not sure what you're trying to prove here.