To readers who don’t like NTR

NTR

• Total voters

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I most certainly do not enjoy the NTR genre. I think spicy affairs can be fun in fiction, but not at all in a fetish way. Consent on all parties' behalf is much more interesting (by the OP, does that mean "Netorase" is this?)
You'd be surprised to know how dark people's pleasure can go

Dountmindme

You wot m8? You wanna go, huh? Come at me bro, y—
I think spicy affairs can be fun in fiction
I jus’ like to watch things burn.
A505473A-7A15-4162-9EA4-5D3609BBAD76.jpeg

Consent on all parties' behalf is much more interesting
Yes I also agree with this.

minacia

perpetually sour
Oh, the other reason I like NTR is so I can tickle my inferiority complex. :blob_uwu:

I kind of like reading harems (not reverse harems) because I can imagine myself as one of the accessories who isn't good enough to end up in the "true end" with the main lead, or gets quietly ignored for half the story on the side... and for some reason I like thinking about that.

...I'm probably weird. :blob_no: Getting a lot of attention is stressful, and it seems easier to imagine myself as cannon fodder.

Angry_Clown

In Japanese, netorare refers the act of someone "being taken (...to someone else's bed)."
Like the blog post has this diagram:
I'm gonna hate myself for delving too deep into this, but here we go.

I don't think that the blog post and diagram are correct. Netorare is a passive stem of "netoru", the latter meaning literally "cheating" from the perspective of the homewrecker. I.e. it literally consists of the root for "sleep" merged with "steal", so — sleep (sex) stealing.

So netorare, as a word, explicitly means the state of being cheated on. Not the cheating partner, not the homewrecker, but the perceived victim. So the right arrow labeled "netorare" is incorrect, as it's derived from a passive verb form.

minacia

perpetually sour
I'm gonna hate myself for delving too deep into this, but here we go.

I don't think that the blog post and diagram are correct. Netorare is a passive stem of "netoru", the latter meaning literally "cheating" from the perspective of the homewrecker. I.e. it literally consists of the root for "sleep" merged with "steal", so — sleep (sex) stealing.

So netorare, as a word, explicitly means the state of being cheated on. Not the cheating partner, not the homewrecker, but the perceived victim. So the right arrow labeled "netorare" is incorrect, as it's derived from a passive verb form.
I mean, I think the blog post acknowledges that from a linguistic perspective it translates best into cuckolding...

But at the same time, there are definitely many stories in the NTR genre that take the perspective of the adulterer (wife) while the husband who is cheated on is just a minor character that is barely mentioned.

Dountmindme

I'm probably weird. :blob_no: Getting a lot of attention is stressful, and it seems easier to imagine myself as cannon fodder.
So vouryer?? (Idk how to spell it.)
I certainly like to watch from the sidelines and watch it all burn. Kek.
I don’t like attention either.

minacia

perpetually sour
So vouryer?? (Idk how to spell it.)
I certainly like to watch from the sidelines and watch it all burn. Kek.
Oh... I don't really want to want watch it...

I just like sad things, like tragedy stories, so it's sort of an extension of that, I guess?

minacia

perpetually sour
Wouldn't be the first time authors mislabel stuff :blobrofl:
Or well, I think it's because it's assumed that there is a male audience.

Therefore a male audience reading about a female MC cheating on her husband = NTR, I guess.

minacia

perpetually sour
So like enjoying suffering?

or suffering happing to others?
Uhh... maybe the former... :blob_no: :blob_no: :blob_no: :blob_no: :blob_no: :blob_no: :blob_no:

Wouldn't be the first time authors mislabel stuff :blobrofl:
Also, I had readers complain that my story was NTR!

Even though all that happened was that my (female) MC did X-rated stuff with a rival ML, even though she never actually agreed to be in a relationship with the main ML.

The readers just felt like their main ship was broken...

EDIT: Or perhaps the readers sympathized with the ML, making it NTR?

IDreamNovels

If its adultery or cheating, I can deal with it.
The type of ntr I hate is the one where the girl gets kidnapped/blackmailed, forced into having sex/raped/gang-raped, then gets mind broken turned into slut or something like that. I try to stay away from that type.

Dountmindme

NTR or not, I like to watch things burn. I don't discriminate.
I’m the same
If its adultery or cheating, I can deal with it.
The type of ntr I hate is the one where the girl gets kidnapped/blackmailed, forced into having sex/raped/gang-raped, then gets mind broken turned into slut or something like that. I try to stay away from that type.
Yeah the latter one is pretty dark. i can avoid those because I think I’ve read too much NTR at this point.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I don't consider my story NTR, but people who are not familiar with polyamory may confuse it as such.

I don't like liars and manipulators. People need to say what they want going into a relationship. If that changes (through self discovery or whatever) and the other person (or people) doesn't agree to those changes, they need to call it quits without dragging others through the muck. Seeing characters who don't know these basic rules of human decency drives me nuts.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I don't consider my story NTR, but people who are not familiar with polyamory may confuse it as such.

I don't like liars and manipulators. People need to say what they want going into a relationship. If that changes (through self discovery or whatever) and the other person (or people) doesn't agree to those changes, they need to call it quits without dragging others through the muck. Seeing characters who don't know these basic rules of human decency drives me nuts.
Plain old simple honesty. I fucking love it.