To those who like to travel often

Agentt

Thighs
How do you not get bored?
Like, world is so bland.

Like, apart from the argument of, "I love meeting new types of people" there is nothing to do!
Because everywhere is the same!
All forests are the same, all beaches are the same and anything apart from that are castles that all share either british or persian architecture...

LilRora

Mostly formless
You know what. I'll give an example.

My grandma is a very religious person. She, along with her daughter and grandchildren, so my aunt and cousins, went on a four day trip to a certain town. Guess what she was doing? Seeing new places? Meeting new people? Nah, she was praying and attending masses (not sure if that's the word) in the local church very important to christians. So... yeah. Four days. I'd get bored after half an hour.

I think it's all about belief, not necessarily in religious way. You see no point in going to new places and seeing new things, because even if you haven't seen them, you know what they are. Some people will go there exactly because they know what it is and want to see it for themselves. You might know what they are thinking, but you won't understand why, cause your view on the matter is the polar oppoite of theirs.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
One wonders if perhaps you should travel more. Saying everywhere is the same is the same as saying "why don't you get bored of fantasy books, they are always the same." Its a completely misinformed argument that shows you have never taken the time to see those different places.
All beaches are the same? So a rocky beach, a cave beach, a glass beach and a seashell beach are indistinguishable, are they?

What do you mean British and Persian architecture? do you think those are the only two cultures that exist? France has four separate architectural styles by itself, coming from different times. Check out the Chambord castle and tell me it has a British style. What about Asia? the colorful marble cathedral of Milan? what about Aztec temples or Egyptian pyramids? The UK does not hold a monopoly on beautiful structures. Actually I consider it kind of weak on that front, though that might just be me lacking in knowledge.

All forests are the same? have you ever heard of biodiversity, and do you know that different things grow in different environment? Do you get the same experience when the tiny you is standing before a giant sequoia than when you climb the dune of Pilat and can look down upon kilometers of forest, higher than even the tallest trees?

If you are not interested in seeing the incredible diversity of this world then fine, but don't tell those of us that are that it does not exist.

LilRora

Mostly formless
I personally I'm in constant pursuit of something to keep my neurons active, either in literal and in the meme way. It's just got to interesting and immersive, and it can be just about anything.

If you are not interested in seeing the incredible diversity of this world then fine, but don't tell those of us that are that it does not exist.
*cough, cough*
You might know what they are thinking, but you won't understand why, cause your view on the matter is the polar oppoite of theirs.
You're the opposite of Agentt in this case. You won't convince that cat molester lover that your view is correct or better, because for him his view is correct.

Last edited:

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
Like, world is so bland.

Like, apart from the argument of, "I love meeting new types of people" there is nothing to do!
All forests are the same, all beaches are the same and anything apart from that are castles that all share either british or persian architecture...
Sounds like a rich person problem

Maybe we're supposed to find beauty in simplicity.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Like, world is so bland.

smh all the vibrant hues of nature and your ass is here saying its boring
Anyway i use various types of drugs so that's how i enjoy things

Agentt

Thighs
One wonders if perhaps you should travel more. Saying everywhere is the same is the same as saying "why don't you get bored of fantasy books, they are always the same." Its a completely misinformed argument that shows you have never taken the time to see those different places.
I know I don't travel much, and I know there are others who love to travel, hence the thread.
All beaches are the same? So a rocky beach, a cave beach, a glass beach and a seashell beach are indistinguishable, are they?
....yes, actually. I don't see why the difference between them matter a bit. That should give you an idea about why I don't like to travel.
What do you mean British and Persian architecture? do you think those are the only two cultures that exist? France has four separate architectural styles by itself, coming from different times. Check out the Chambord castle and tell me it has a British style. What about Asia? the colorful marble cathedral of Milan? what about Aztec temples or Egyptian pyramids? The UK does not hold a monopoly on beautiful structures. Actually I consider it kind of weak on that front, though that might just be me lacking in knowledge.
The british and persian one were exaggerations, I'll admit, but they do reflect majority of monuments one encounters.
The asian monuments are all heavily inspired from british and Persian, sometimes China; though I don't know much about the Eastern parts. Nevertheless, continuous attacks from mongols and other threats really ruined most of the said architecture.
All forests are the same? have you ever heard of biodiversity, and do you know that different things grow in different environment? Do you get the same experience when the tiny you is standing before a giant sequoia than when you climb the dune of Pilat and can look down upon kilometers of forest, higher than even the tallest trees?
Biodiversity is pretty much the only reason why I still travel. I love it, i always include them in my travels.

But I really rather study a flowering bush alone than even glance at a sequoila tree which has humans all around it taking pictures. It just loses it's beauty when you degrade any biological marvel to, "big tree where you can take pictures." Same reason why I don't visit any animal sanctuaries, it's just hundreds of people trying to get a blurry picture.
I am interested in this "incredible diversity" you are talking about, I am just incredibly annoyed by how repetitive it is.
Remove the castles and churches from any area and suddenly there is almost nothing for a tourist to do.

Psycholor

Writing Trash
Tell me you have never travelled without telling me.

Agentt

Thighs
Tell me you have never travelled without telling me.
I don't seem to have an eye for them apparently. I do see many art students making notes of every crevice but it never really appeals to me,
I also recently came to know that white sand beaches are more expensive than regular yellow sand.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
I know I don't travel much, and I know there are others who love to travel, hence the thread.

....yes, actually. I don't see why the difference between them matter a bit. That should give you an idea about why I don't like to travel.
The difference matters because they basically have nothing in common, besides being on the seaside.

The british and persian one were exaggerations, I'll admit, but they do reflect majority of monuments one encounters.
The asian monuments are all heavily inspired from british and Persian, sometimes China; though I don't know much about the Eastern parts. Nevertheless, continuous attacks from mongols and other threats really ruined most of the said architecture.
Of course asia is influenced by china, china is part of asia. but can you see this in the UK/persia?

Besides, does being inspired mean that it is boring? I'm sure all the novels you like/wrote are completely original, and they took absolutely no inspiration in everything. After all, once you have read one fantasy novel, you have read them all.

The fact that incredible sites exist all around the world is an objective fact. Be it manmade or natural, there are many things that are unique in the world.

That does not mean you have to like it. You may not be very sensitive to that kind of beauty, and you don't care about it enough to take in the details. Every forest can be reduced to "it's just a bunch of trees, I have seen that a hundred times before", regardless if the size, shape, color and variation are completely different.
You can say "I find it boring", because that is a subjective statement that only denotes your personal taste. You cannot say "It is boring'', because that would be making an objective statement with a subjective qualifier. I don't find it boring, so it cannot be universally true.
You cannot say everywhere is the same, because that can be demonstrated to be false. good luck comparing the amazon forest with the arctic.
You can find similarities between things, but where you draw the line in "that is too similar for me to see it again" is personal.
Biodiversity is pretty much the only reason why I still travel. I love it, i always include them in my travels.

But I really rather study a flowering bush alone than even glance at a sequoila tree which has humans all around it taking pictures. It just loses it's beauty when you degrade any biological marvel to, "big tree where you can take pictures." Same reason why I don't visit any animal sanctuaries, it's just hundreds of people trying to get a blurry picture.
So there are things you dislike about tourism. What does that have to do with your statement of "everything is the same''? It loses its beauty, but that makes it identical to everything else? Your post did not say "I don't like traveling because xyz '', it said "the world is so bland". That is what I am arguing against, I don't care whether you find crowded places are not beautiful.
I am interested in this "incredible diversity" you are talking about, I am just incredibly annoyed by how repetitive it is.
Saying it is repetitive is a much better qualifier than boring, because that is objective. The entire universe is made of an endless repetition of the same atoms.
However we don't really care about the repetition on the atomic scale, so that leaves the question, how repetitive is too repetitive?
You look at this "repetitive forest'', and you find that no two trees are the same. you look at it from above, and its overall shape is also unique. yet you can still find it boring, and unrecognizable from any other similar forest. How different does the forest need to be for you to be engaged? does it have to be a different species of tree, a different color, size, and how different? That part is subjective, and for you to decide.

I will take my example of a novel once again, because I always get annoyed when people use that sort of logic to get me to stop reading. How many novels have I read where the MC starts off weak, gets into trouble, finds some friends, slowly gets stronger and finally triumphs? Too many to count, but that does not make books that fall into that description bland. Some things will be similar, and clear patterns can be found, without everything being the same.

Remove the castles and churches from any area and suddenly there is almost nothing for a tourist to do.
Gardens, modern architecture like the eiffel tower, natural wonders, mausoleums, colosseums, amphitheaters, aqueducs... even just the houses if you are in a different part of the world.
However, why should we remove castles and churches? Those are the buildings that are worth spending money on, so naturally they are the most beautiful. There are 30000 churches in France, and I dare you to find two that are identical. Most of them do womform to a few patterns, caracteristique of the place/time they were built, but they all have variation, and there are also plenty that are much more unique.
asking us to remove churches/castles from the equation would be like removing any novel that uses the word "magic", and then complaining that there are so few fantasy novels to read.

Yes, patterns can be identified, some of which are more obvious than others. Yes, you can not see the appeal of seeing 30 thousands churches. Yes, you can find tourism boring/annoying for all sorts of reasons, becaues how you feel is entirely up to you. No, you cannot conclude from that that the world is bland. You can find patterns in every single thing in this universe, but that does not mean everyone is doomed to be perpetually bored.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
To me, the best reason to travel is to try new foods. I don't have enough money to travel far, so instead I order exotic snacks online and look up recipes for things.

immortal1daoist

Everything is unique sometimes we may not feel it but when we feel it you will start enjoying it

patbateman123x

Honestly i don't travel to meet new people . I travel to get away from people . There is just something so peaceful about going on a roadtrip to the mountains while listening to Two Feet or idk Glass Animals?