Tropes/Cliches you can't help but enjoy?

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
There are many tropes in novels that many hate. Which ones are you not ashamed to acknowledge you enjoy, no matter how dumb it is? And I'm here to talk about generality, not their executions, how to use cliches in a good way, etc., etc.; I'm just curious what is your guilty pleasure? You know it is cheap, yet can't help liking it?

For me, it is face-slapping. Even if the enemy is some ultra-dumb, cardboard 1D character, I love it. It is somehow always satisfying reading about some good, loud face slapping, be it in words or literally. I'm a sucker for it.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Revenge stories. I love trash too much, and Arifureta's revenge story sparked way too many neurons. This is my biggest guilty pleasure and it makes any garbage story way more enjoyable in my monkey brain (as long as it has effort put in).

Also modern/firearms vs medieval stuff. I am the biggest sucker for stuff like GATE or fantasies that brings in weaponry from the modern age. Oh you thought that was a dragon? Nah, just that's an A-10 Warthog.

One of my favourite tropes not seen too much in writing however is the 'armoury scene'. Think back to John Wick 2 when he goes gun shopping, gets suited up and tests out his tools before the upcoming event. Literally a Chekhov's Gun at that point, but it becomes a shame if something shown off isn't used at all.

Corty

@Syringe I'm starting to run out of space, and I can't fit more bookshelves into my room, sadly. Yet I'm addicted to collecting them. :blob_blank:

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
Misunderstanding trope like Overlord, Eminence in the Shadow, Demon Lord Retry, How not summon a Demon Lord, and if you have more in the action 'genre' in misunderstanding, please tell me.

BigBadBoi

Goofy comic relief character is actually smart and competent.
A great example of this would be Olivier from the Trails series. I love that son of a bitch.

ACertainPassingUser

Protagonist using his *modern* knowledge to fight enemies and improve quality of life.

Well, that and also the clash between modern value and medieval era values. That's the only reason I care about Isekai in first place.

If the modern protagonist start talking and acting with chinese-translate style courteous like those revenge xianxia protagonist, I will throw the book away.

Of course I would expect them to adapt and follow the norm and values of the world soon. But not when they do it perfectly in their first interaction.

At least put description like "I act weirdly like this due to the previous owner's muscle memory/usual acts" to make sure we know that this isn't another fantasy story with extra Isekai tag.

Last edited:

Corty

Protagonist using his *modern* knowledge to fight enemies and improve quality of life.

Well, that and also the clash between modern value and medieval era values. That's the only reason I care about Isekai in first place.
Release that Witch! would be my recommendation.

K_Jira

Overpowered/genius protagonist, isekai, face-slapping, and protagonist with broken common sense. If the protagonist is on the 'evil' side (comedic or not) it's another plus for me.
Overpowered Protagonists :blobreading:
I have a friend :blob_teary: everyone around me says overpowered protagonist is boring.

it may seem mundane, but i find it enjoyable even if the story starts with the protagonist waking up.

power of friendship is also fine if they were able to execute them well and not seen as deus ex machina.

MrCrunch

The Mc that dies in a last ditch fight or betrayed by a close friends and travels back in time to the day were he just applies to magic school /swordsman school/temple.

Or the male mc that can't seem to keep his pheromones in check.
The Mc that dies in a last ditch fight or betrayed by a close friends and travels back in time to the day were he just applies to magic school /swordsman school/temple.

Or the op male mc that can't seem to keep his pheromones in check.

Corty

Transcending the Nine Heavens or any other Feng Ling Tian Xia novels may interest you if you have not read them yet.