Weak to Strong or Overpowered?

• Weak to Strong

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • Overpowered

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Weak to strong implies that the MC has strong motivations, perhaps revenge or the desire to protect someone, pushing him to become better. This desire pushes him to train and encounter new people and places. It provides many great opportunities for developing the MC as a character. If he starts off childish, you can show him mature and become much more level-headed. If he starts off vengeful, you can show him questioning the morality of his course of action. All this can be supported by side characters and subplots.

An overpowered protagonist has no reason to engage in any of these activities. He has already reached his pinnacle and presumably the goal that drove him to become powerful. Developing his character more becomes harder, but not impossible. You can show him go from a hard man who doesn't care for beings he perceives as lesser to seeing them as worthy of respect, regardless of their lack of power.

Each character type can be good when done right, but I prefer weak to strong.

SainS

Sometimes A, sometimes B. Don't usually care about it as much as how well the story is written and how entertaining the characters are.

ACertainPassingUser

Weak to strong start at episode 0 and protagonist is balanced until its OP and people dont protest it anymore after being invested at him during the 10-50 episode.

OverPowered protagonist start at episode 50-100, so i dont have to eatch 10-50 episode of training arc that is usually skipped anyway,

and we can now finally focus more on solving and exploring every plot, problems, and conflicts on the story other than "protagonist is not strong enough and therefore Villain mock protagonist for being poor and weak".

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I prefer weak to strong because it shows actual work, dedication, and work being rewarded with strength. OP characters feel like a spoiled rich youngest child that has no appreciation for what they were blessed with.

Jerynboe

OP feels so much better when it’s earned imo. That said, as long as there is room to grow you can still get some progression and growth in. Guy who can easily beat up goblins growing into the overdeity of the cosmos still grew in power and if it was written well he had some troubles along the way.
OP from the start works best if the core plot isn’t the fighting. Seeing Superman punch the shit out of people is great at all, but it’s not very compelling unless there’s something that makes the fight meaningful.

Vnator

OP characters only work when the conflict they face can't be overcome with their strength alone. Like social situations or more lofty goals beyond beating someone up. OPM and Mob Psycho do a great job of this, but it's hard to find others that dona similarly good job. What are your opinions on Amelia by MelasD? It followed the formula well but I stopped reading after a while but I can't really place my finger on why.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
I don't care as long as the mc is challenged in a way that is engaging to read.

It just happens that weak to strong tends to do that more often than overpowered stories

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
Weak to strong, although I'm currently writing an 'overpowered' character.