What’s the coolest ‘elemental’ magic a character can have?

Title

• Fire

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Water

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Wood

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Sand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rock/Stone

• Wind

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ice

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Metal

• Electricity/Lightning

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Other

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters

melchi

What is a custom title?
Well DUH. But that's what water is, ya know? So, you can break it down into hydrogen and oxygen. Of course you need a source of ignition after that point, but carry around a lighter and yer good.

And, of course, there are the different isotopes involved. You can still add another 3 neutrons to the hydrogen, and +2 to the oxygen to increase the over all atomic weight from 18 to 26, a 45% increase in the over all density of the water molicule, giving it that extra PUNCH.

AND THAT'S NOT ALL!!!

Oxygen 14 can decay into Nitrogen and EMITS A POSITRON. That's right! Water Elementalsts can create ANTIMATTER!!
Or you go the other route and make Oxygen-23 and in milliseconds, it will decay into fluorine, which will combine with the rest of the water to form Hydrogen Fluoride, a BONE SEEKING ACID! Get splashed with that shit, not only will it eat your FLESH, but within hours, assuming you survive, it'll KILL ALL YOUR BONE MARROW.
Ca + F = Ca2F

Laymen's terms: It turns your bones into salt.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
'Fire magic' 😬

ntrmajeksystem.png

Celenor

Todos los elementos tienen ventajas y desventajas, además teniendo en cuenta que un dominio de los mismos a nivel atómico es algo exagerado(seamos sinceros ya sería manipulación de la materia en su conjunto, no de un elemento en específico) elegiría electricidad, no sólo por la letalidad y velocidad(ovbio) sino también por las posibilidades casi infinitas del control de la energía bioeléctrica propia o de los adversarios( sería muy cool detener el corazón de los enemigos o simplemente inhibir o controlar las señales eléctricas del sistema nervioso)

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I see metal as second place and I have to admit, the ability of metal manipulation is cool. Cooler than fire (because of how overused it is) and maybe cooler than lightning (same issue with fire).

And when I say metal manipulation, I do not just mean sending chunks of it flying. I mean like forming it into weapons, barriers and stuff like how the Green Lanterns use their rings.

A Player Who Eats Metal came so close and still managed to fuck it up as it is just MC increasing the weight threshold of the metal he can send flying via telekinesis, with added bonus of increasing attributes by the metal he consumed ie eat a poison metal, gain the power to cast poison on metal and send it flying.

I chose others and I think that Biokinesis/ body manipulation is the coolest. Not mentioning how Li Yao in Cultivation 40K formed a flesh wave motion gun with his arm, the fact that it is versatile as fuck makes me feel kind of bad that only Alex Mercer and Mahito are the only ones that get to enjoy all the fun that it provides. Also the power itself covers a lot of ground, from bone to flesh to blood etc, to hell, maybe even Gabriel Sylar can be in the mix as well.

I know it is not an element, but I still think that it is a cool ability that most authors have a hard time to use in MC because of how OP or nerfed it can be.

GlassRose

Kaleidoscope of Harmonious Contradiction
Space magic is probably my favorite. To be able to effect the fundamental foundation of reality? To move instantly, create your own mini-realm, split your enemies apart at the most fundamental level, create impassable barriers, and just shatter base reality. Lots of fun applications.

Dark, though that's a bit cliche and thus has lost some of it's impact. Time can be really cool or just meh, it's easy to make it too overpowered or underpowered, but balanced right and in the hands of an intelligent user and it's really interesting.

Soul magic and Life magic, used well, can be really awesome too. Self augmentation, and complete alteration (extra limbs, natural armor and weaponry, parallel thought processing), the creation of monsters under your own control, turning your opponents' own bodies and minds against them. Not to mention the potential of linking your soul to multiple bodies so you can be in more than one place at a time, and have back ups in case one dies (you'd probably need to modify your soul to allow parallel processing first). Soul magic alone also allows stuff like sensing other's emotions and intent, reading their memories, transferring concepts directly to their mind, and possible extremely unethical soul alteration (read: slavery) for use by villains.

Force magic also has a lot of potential, despite the simplicity. A very raw and direct application of magic, can lead to cool and visceral action scenes.

Also, I'm upset at your element distribution! It's redundant what with water and ice, and rock and sand! And, 'wood' is highly specific, and leaves behind other bio-manipulation! 'Life' is the superior element! Or at the very least, 'Plant'! And then maybe have some separate element for Flesh/Bone/Blood. Better to just stick them together into Life though.

Last edited:

l8rose

Perpetually Positively Pondering
Kinda reminds me of the following meme
nhw8zp176lwb1.jpg

It's a toss between air and water for me. Mainly because my favorite comic's main character is Aspen who manipulates water (and water solutions) and accidentally super-murders a guy by pulling all liquid out of him. It was of the first comics I ever read that showed a guy bleeding from every orifice and pore (it was also very not rated for that level of violence). Air on the other hand was because someone explained how it would be a disturbing power to have when you could suck all the air out of someone's lungs or expand it all to cause things to rupture. Plus, there could also be a debate about what counts as air which leads to much more fun debates about vapor and gaseous elements.

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
What counts as an element can be expanded to a ridiculous degree. Like I could say that world magic is an elemental form and have somebody out there throwing around miniature planetoids to fight. But for more, typical types, I do like the freedom that wind/air represents. But coolness factor? Metal. Cause Gajeel from Fairy Tail. Oh, should have included sky with wind and air. Hmm. Then again, Laxus with lighting. Well, deciding things isn't my strong suit. Screw it, mark me down for blood magic as well. But like, using it as a healer rather than making weapons out of blood, cause I'm recalcitrant like that.

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
Let's all agree if we ignore practical use and "UHMM ACKYUALLY IT NEEDS AIR SO AIR WINS AND ACKYUALLY, WATER CAN GET YOUR LUNGS..."

Visually and impactfully, Fire would be the dopest.