What did you read as a kid?

Wintertime

King of Nothing
A lot of R.R Martin and Tolkien. I particularly liked The Magic Thief series from Sarah Prineas as well; it's what got me into fantasy settings.

Viator

Wandering Moon that conceals the tide
the most influential in my childhood would probably be these three for various reasons.
Redwall series by Brian Jaques
Garfield comics
The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

*That's said, by second grade, I had an 8th grade reading level and I read way too many series to count since I was the crippled kid and other kids avoided me, or bullied me in the earliest years of school.

Last edited:

Viator

Redwall! The food descriptions were so drool-worthy.

Whoa, I've read the majority of the books and series on your list!
Did you know why the redwall series was so descriptive and "drool-worthy?" It was because the author would it go down to a school for the blind after he wrote a novel and would read it to them. His novels were so descriptive because he had to write that way so blind kids would enjoy them more.

Kitty

Did you know why the redwall series was so descriptive and "drool-worthy?" It was because the author would it go down to a school for the blind after he wrote a novel and would read it to them. His novels were so descriptive because he had to write that way so blind kids would enjoy them more.
That's so sweet to hear. I didn't know that.

Llamadragon

Hmmm... I got the first Harry Potter book when I turned.. five or six I think? It was the first 'real' (as in, thicker than a childrens picture book) book I ever finished so it seared into a special place in my heart. After that my dad fed me a healthy, balanced diet of tolkien and the Hitchhikers Guide, seasoned with Narnia. Then I went down the Discworld lane.

Before that, I was raised on the Pettson & Findus series, Mama Moo (the book about the cow, not the band) and everything Astrid Lindgren.

EDIT: oh man, Redwall... yeah that one too.
EDIT 2: Oh, and Asterix comics. With a sprinkle of Tintin.

Viator

That's so sweet to hear. I didn't know that.
Yeah, if you read his biography he sort of sounds like a saint, or at least a very good person. He also is a jack of all trades, his job history is like a mile long. All different kinds of professions.

* Longshoreman, long haul trucker, merchant Mariner, boxer, milkman, railway fireman, bus driver, British Bobby. He met the kids at a school for the blind when he was a milkman.

Last edited:

DalangTala

ℳᴇʀᴇ ℋᴜᴍᴀɴ
Aesop's Fables, I guess? I started toreading enjoy reading books when I was 1st grade.

My mother is quite the bookworm as well. She borrows storybooks from the library of the school where she used to teach. I remember myself reading these children stories over and over:
  • The Stone Soup - where the first ingredient is a stone and villagers just puts other ingredients as the story progresses
  • Arthur Series - who doesn't know Arthur?
  • The Attic - about a child who went different worlds through the windows in their attic
  • It Takes A Village - A little boy got lost and his elder sister kept on searching for him.
There are others that I forgot the title.

Andro

- A lots of fairy tales (Grimm, Andersen, etc.)
- Abigel by Magda Szabo
I don't really remember. I just remember, I read a lots of books, but I can't remember the titles. XD

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
Old Kingdom Series, Abhorsen Series, by Garth Nix (Necromancers and undead A+)
Shade's Children by Garth Nix (sci-fi horror, human farming)
The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells (some horror whatever)
Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan (Really long hero versus evil villain magical fantasy)
Redwall Books Stuff by Brian Jacques (Medieval animals in a fantasy world)
The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (oh yeah)

And some other books too. In hindsight, it seems like I had a childhood filled with horror genre as I could recall.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
i remembered my first book was harry potter and the philosopher's stone

swiftly after that it was the 15th volume of the Strawberry 100% manga

it was a wild ride

Walk

i remembered my first book was harry potter and the philosopher's stone

swiftly after that it was the 15th volume of the Strawberry 100% manga

it was a wild ride
Ugh, worst f***ing protag I have ever seen ... living up to the obsession with blondes *puke* gross

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Atticus the Greek Storyteller's 100 Myths and Legends
A book about animal habitats and what you'd find living in them that I read over and over again
The Bartimaeus Trilogy
The Inheritance Cycle
Harry Potter series
Abhorsen, Sabriel, Lirael
The Fionavar Tapestry trilogy
The Twilight Saga
His Dark Materials trilogy
Mortal Engines series
Some Horrible Histories books
Some books based on the Bible but done in Horrible Histories style
Vampire Knight manga online
Naruto manga online

I'm pretty sure there are other stories I read as I grew up, however I can't recall them just now.
>w<

X

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Magic Tree House, Redwall, geronimo stilton, warriors/seekers

LWFlouisa

Not sure why I didn't answer.

Several things.

Novesl, Memoirs: Diary Of Ann Frank, Blood And Chocolate, Angelas Ashes, Adult versions of Brother's Grim. ... In the fifth grade. Crap loads of Edgar Allen Poe, Robert Frost, and William Butler Yeats.

Teen years:

Elfen Lied
Gantz
Various Manwha
The Embalmer
Ikigami
Other seinin manga.

More recently: Neuromancer, Mary Poppins, Consider The Lobster: And other Wallace essays.

For the most part, manga has been my main exposure to Science Fiction.

I you consider JRPGs stories: Grandia is my favorite plot of all time.

Oh and my favorite writer currently is probably Haruki Murakami.

Last edited:

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
All these sophisticated books and all I read was the entirety of Rick Riordan's series.