Writing What is a Good Drama, According to You

Samuel_Spader

As a reader myself, personally, I don't like drama... BUT, I can still find some dramas to be good, especially when it's not something that's dragged out for long, and/or not some stupid drama (this one might be different from person to person).

Now, as an Author, I want to try and experiment to make a drama in my story for later, but I need some feedback and tips about what is it that you can consider a good drama.

I hope my question is not confusing.

Samuel_Spader

Hm I'm not a drama writer, I'm a SciFi writer so I can't really give you any tips. Have you tried watching some Korean or Chinese Dramas for inspiration?
I have, though not quite as much, to be honest.

My significant other is a fan of Korean Dramas, and I personally have read several Korean and Chinese novels. This is my own personal opinion, but most Chinese stories have a weird way to create a drama. It always (mostly) follows the main character very often, that I feel like it's the MC who's actually looking for trouble, or perhaps is actually in the wrong, but then it ends in some of the most unsatisfying way possible.

This part is something I've already try to avoid.

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
Don't make drama that can easily be solved by everyone getting together and having a ten minute conversation. Idiot plots are the worst.

Good drama shouldn't all be misunderstandings and shit. For example, two people who have goals that directly clash with each other can have some good drama. Game of Thrones had some really good drama (until it went to shit).

Thor

Genuine tragedies in the world are not conflicts between right and wrong, not between good and evil, but conflicts between two rights. :blob_evil_two:

Something like this. The best drama happens between two people who think they are right from their respective perspective. Drama that is not easily solved but needs actual work to get sorted out without one side to completly give in. Im also fine with drama that doesnt get solved, something that creates a rift because of stupid decisions/actions/words. (Yes, I like good drama :P)

Somewhere I read an example, most likely here. Something about a pencil that gets broken in two halfs and just because you say "I am sorry" it doesnt get whole again.

Bad drama is something that is build on misunderstandings or happens when two people dont take the time to speak for a few minutes with each other. Absolutely hate that shit.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Another minor contribution. As I am a big lover of history, I usually look at history to provide examples and understand behaviour. When it comes to drama, I can only recommend WW2. It has everything lies, deceit, backstabbing, interests, scheming, high stake poker that terribly backfired, genocide. Something for everyone. :blob_evil_two:

SourDaiDai

When it comes to drama, I personally enjoy it when the story perspective can be changed by one information?

Example "Shiro Ari", I'm not going to give spoilers but basically there's a character switch, and no one notices including the reader. But, since it's a manga you can read some of the thought bubbles, we as the reader misinterpret the thought to fit the situation, and the character we were cheering for is an entirely different character! BUT, The reasoning gave depth to the character while not changing them into something unrecognizable.

It made me re-read the manga in a different frame. The switch didn't feel unnecessary and wasn't dwelled upon for chapters, it was a stepping stone.
Oh, and please don't base the drama from a misunderstanding that could be easily resolved by TALKING. I'm tired of those my god.
Sometimes it can be used wonderfully but most of the time it just annoys us(readers) and it pretty difficult to write in a non-awkward way.

Also, conflict doesn't have to be solved instantly. (EX. I've witnessed some girl fights where they will pretend that heated agreement they just had never happened and a month later they are tearing each other's hair out.

You can forget memories but it's harder to forget the feeling associated with them like you might've hated that dude in your classroom but you don't know why. Maybe it's because he farted in your face one day idk. )

I found that some of the Chinese Novels I read jump from one conflict to the next in an unsatisfying way. It's clear the conflict is only there to hit the "Face Slapping" checkbox.

Samuel_Spader

Bad drama is something that is build on misunderstandings or happens when two people dont take the time to speak for a few minutes with each other. Absolutely hate that shit.
This is actually most Chinese dramas I've read so far.

When it comes to drama, I can only recommend WW2. It has everything lies, deceit, backstabbing, interests, scheming, high stake poker that terribly backfired, genocide. Something for everyone. :blob_evil_two:
Oh yeah, it's indeed something for everyone, alright...

When it comes to drama, I personally enjoy it when the story perspective can be changed by one information?

I found that some of the Chinese Novels I read jump from one conflict to the next in an unsatisfying way. It's clear the conflict is only there to hit the "Face Slapping" checkbox.
That first part is a good tips. Thank you.

Yeah, Chinese novels mostly have these weird 'Face Slapping' stuff. It's like this is their version of "Power Fantasy" or something.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
You can ham, but don't make it too hammy, I am a carnivore but I don't like too much meat stuffed into my face.

Also, give an actual reason for the drama, while many people be like "just talk to each other" to curb misunderstandings and thus no more drama, IRL such dramas do exist, just not into a ridiculous scale because people do tend to flare up when tensions arise, then it takes time for the information to be absorbed and thus the drama is resolved.

Simplified drama can be cheating/ financial issue/ a sudden accident, and then you can go forward with how your characters can go solve them.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Don't make drama that can easily be solved by everyone getting together and having a ten minute conversation. Idiot plots are the worst.

Good drama shouldn't all be misunderstandings and shit. For example, two people who have goals that directly clash with each other can have some good drama. Game of Thrones had some really good drama (until it went to shit).
Yes indeed! It drives me nuts when people could just sit down and talk about it but don't.

D4isuke

Depressed Pervert who loves writing good smut.
Drama should have conflicting ideas based on each opposing embodiment. Ideologies, motives, feelings, and own resolve (and many more that these) are the essential elements that needed to be relevant in such cases based on context. Don't let one be invalid to every character's action whether it sounds smart or not, or else plot holes will be much welcoming to your work.

Ace_Arriande

good drama is watching people on the forums argue about trending

Anyways, while I do like what the others suggested (despite most of it sounding like general conflict advice rather than drama advice), what I personally like to see in "drama" is how the drama affects the characters' lives. I don't care about Breaking Bad, for example, because of its dramatic plot. I care about it because of how the dramatic plot affects the characters and changes them over time. I like to see how it changes their lives, their relationships, their psyches - to me, the best drama is the effect that it has on the characters. You don't need some super complex and mature conflict to have drama. Drama, at least as far as I'm concerned, can be something as simple as a character facing their insecurities when entering a new relationship. Drama can be taking a pacifist and throwing them into a situation where being a pacifist will get them and their loved ones killed. Drama can be a veteran returning from war having to readjust to normal, daily life. Having serious, motivation-driven conflict and all that is great, but you can have that without any drama. That's just my two cents on the matter, though. I'm much more character-focused rather than plot-focused, so I always care more about the effect it will have on the people involved rather than the conflict itself.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
To boil it down to its simplest explanation, drama is the conflict between an immovable object and an unstoppable force. If you can understand that, you basically understood drama on its most basic level. The rest is salad dressing that YOU have to come up in order to make the drama look interesting.