What is your ultimate wish-fulfillment story?

BlackKnightX

Basically anything isekai. I NEED something more interesting than this wretched cesspool of boredom, capitalism, and prejudices. At least let me earn money by wandering out and blasting slimes with fireballs or somethin. Sniffle. Though, if I could be a dungeon core with limitless potential, probably a relatively slow start, but eventually preying upon divine beings as a normal dungeon preys upon humans. . . . Oh, and Knight's and Magic is possibly my favorite Isekai. Cause I love Ernesti's earnest love of Mecha.
Gosh, I love Knight's and Magic too! Though, it’ll be better if there’s some romance. 😆

BlackKnightX

Tbf, there are valid criticisms of wish fulfillment.
Frick, I forgot the others but here's one; the author sacrificed a well written story for the sake of their indulgence. It's literally nonsense that over glorifies the reader/author. No matter how you look at it, it's a bad story. Just because some people can enjoy it doesn't mean it isn't still bad.
Ah, the other was that it's only wish fulfillment. I sort of combined the two, I guess. If there's nothing in the story except you beating up the designated bad guy and screwing the designated love interest, then it ironically stops being fun to read.
As I stated before, it’s very subjective. And even if some people think it’s a bad story, then it’s okay. It doesn’t change the fact that I pretty much enjoy them.

You could say that I enjoy bad story~ 😆

HokuouTenrou

Being the good looking (and natured) protagonist in those easy to self-insert battle school story VN/LNs. I just want the busty ojou-sama senpai route, man...

If not self-insert, then, ehh... Probably something like my cheat-laden playthrough of grand strategy games. I don't even pretend as some unseen god; just like to think that whatever civilization I played suddenly got uber-competent, steamrolled every opposition before reaching the stars... And probably repeat it against the xenos (Wait, is this even a wish-fulfillment? w)

BlackKnightX

I have a mix, I guess? I like to imagine myself in the characters shoes, but I also heavily distinguish characters as their own individual people. That's another reason why wish fulfillment is bad, sometimes. If you end up with a Mary Sue type character, all the other characters become meaningless extensions of the MC's ego instead of their own people. That's super frustrating for me to read.

As stated, Wish-Fulfillment isn't inherently bad. And some people can like the stuff that is bad. Uh... I don't have any kind of wise closing point or anything like that. Bye now.
Understandable, everyone is different. personally, I have no problem with the Mary Sue character at all, or rather, I enjoy them as long as they have the same or similar personality that I have. Heck, I even posted a thread about this before! 😂

Oh, and your closing statement is genius, dear. Don’t worry about it. It’s good~ 😆
Giant Robots are a Man's Romance!!
Couldn’t argue with that, but hot chicks are also a Man’s Romance!!
a world full of futas, where I am a smol femboy and get absolutely banged to literal death, only to reincarnate as another femboy in the same world, ad infinitum.
Ah... the world is cruel.
The world is cruel, indeed. Well, in that case, let’s become a masochist! 😝

Last edited:

EternalSunset0

Tbf, there are valid criticisms of wish fulfillment.
Frick, I forgot the others but here's one; the author sacrificed a well written story for the sake of their indulgence. It's literally nonsense that over glorifies the reader/author. No matter how you look at it, it's a bad story. Just because some people can enjoy it doesn't mean it isn't still bad.

As stated, Wish-Fulfillment isn't inherently bad. And some people can like the stuff that is bad. Uh... I don't have any kind of wise closing point or anything like that. Bye now.
In conjugation to my rambling, it's fine if you think something's bad or what. I have no issue with that.

It just gets annoying when you use the "it's bad" card to actively judge (or raise a culture that judges) people who enjoy those stuff. You can call it bad under your own lens, but what if the "bad" that you (and the rest of the critics) think doesn't matter to fans? That's basically the point I'm getting at.

It's okay to have our own opinions on story plots, characters, narrative beats, etc. but what I just find irritating is when it's the (often-influential) people who claim to be "cool with people liking this story/show that I think sucks" who in their long rambling, start destroying and dissecting said media while lowkey indirectly saying "how could any sensible person like this?!"

It's fun for the memes, and I can get that it's entertaining for an outsider. For fans of the genre/media, it's not.

BlackKnightX

I want to read cheesy romance. That is my ultimate wish fulfillment. I wouldn't want to be in a cheesy romance though.
You sure bout that~? 😏
Being the good looking (and natured) protagonist in those easy to self-insert battle school story VN/LNs. I just want the busty ojou-sama senpai route, man...

If not self-insert, then, ehh... Probably something like my cheat-laden playthrough of grand strategy games. I don't even pretend as some unseen god; just like to think that whatever civilization I played suddenly got uber-competent, steamrolled every opposition before reaching the stars... And probably repeat it against the xenos (Wait, is this even a wish-fulfillment? w)
You have good taste, I’ll give you that~ 😎
Oh I have to actually answer the question:
That would be an interactive story where the protag gets blessed with immortality and a system, but then he realizes the system warps the world around him as levels up and he has an existential crisis. Everyone he comes to know and love die or drift further away from him. The end.

Am I a hardcore sadist or a hardcore masochist? I have no fucking clue.
Cool, I love interactive-story too! Well, mainly because I can choose what the mc‘s gonna do, so it basically gives me what I want; the protagonist who I can insert myself into!

And I think maybe you’re a sadist? You read like an observer after all. Though, if you read like me and still answer like that, then you’re totally a masochist~ 😝

Last edited:

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
When I read, I always imagine myself as the protagonist. It happens automatically, but if the protagonist does something that I don’t like, or just being stupid, I‘d quit right away.
What happens when there is no protagonist, or more than one protagonist?

As for the main topic, wish fulfilment is nice and all, but at a certain point, if overdone, I just can't immerse myself in the story. I don't necessary need the protagonist to lose or suffer hardships, but when all the love interests throw themselves at the protagonist for absolutely no reason, even if the protagonist is a douchebag, or the protagonist whips out special skill #129741 that seems out of place in the setting, or everyone gets killed, but somehow the protagonist just somehow happens to survive, etc., it just ruins all immersion. I don't need the story to be hyper-realistic, but at least make it believable, and a lot of wish fulfillment just isn't.

BlackKnightX

What happens when there is no protagonist, or more than one protagonist?

As for the main topic, wish fulfilment is nice and all, but at a certain point, if overdone, I just can't immerse myself in the story. I don't necessary need the protagonist to lose or suffer hardships, but when all the love interests throw themselves at the protagonist for absolutely no reason, even if the protagonist is a douchebag, or the protagonist whips out special skill #129741 that seems out of place in the setting, or everyone gets killed, but somehow the protagonist just somehow happens to survive, etc., it just ruins all immersion. I don't need the story to be hyper-realistic, but at least make it believable, and a lot of wish fulfillment just isn't.
If there’s no protagonist, then I don’t read it, plain and simple.

And I understand what you mean. Though, I’m still cool with the stuffs that you don’t like. Guess we have different taste then. Doesn’t matter though, just read what you enjoy! 👍🏻

A.P.R.L.

I'll be completely and utterly honest. My perfect wish-fulfillment story would be a genderbended version of High School DxD or something along those lines. I'll be the Dragon Harem Queen with a ton of hot supernatural young men completely smitten with me, be super powerful, save the world and be a super star with my own show and everything. Plus, I'm besties with many gods and other powerful creatures that respect me and see me as their equal (sort of).

I suppose in the end, like you said, all stories have a bit of wish-fulfillment into them. I personally like it better when the main character has a distinct personality and are their own flawed person, but I also project myself in them a little so when they make really stupid decisions or something I don't like, I feel a bit bumped. When that happens, though, I disengage myself from them and see them as a completely different person and everything's fine, as long as I still enjoy the story, obviously. Part of the enjoyment for me is analizing the personalities of the characters as well as their intentions, MC included. Besides, it's a little difficult to project myself into male MCs, being a woman and all, so when it comes to shows or books with male MCs I always think of them in terms of someone I would like to get into my harem befriend if I met them in real life.

And now you made me want to write that reversed-harem wish-fulfillment story... ugh. One day I will. One day...

Last edited:
whatever story able to make me realize my dreams in real life, is the ultimate one.

if there's more than one, i pick the one with best effect.

for now, i just want something that involves traveling to many kinds of fantasy + sci-fi places. learning about their architecture, history, food, and culture.

i want to learn many kinds of magic and cultivation techniques to spice of my life, explore lots of alien technologies. i'm curious about their entertainment as well, especially their video games.

i also create and customize my own world and build my dream house and many kinds of stuff with its own laws that i can alter based on mood.

but yea the most important thing is being safe for the entire time. myself and everyone i care about.

being a futa loli and be with my girlfriends is optional, despite my username. but yea, it's welcome.

BlackKnightX

I'll be completely and utterly honest. My perfect wish-fulfillment story would be a genderbended version of High School DxD or something along those lines. I'll be the Dragon Harem Queen with a ton of hot supernatural young men completely smitten with me, be super powerful, save the world and be a super star with my own show and everything. Plus, I'm besties with many gods and other powerful creatures that respect me and see me as their equal (sort of).

I suppose in the end, like you said, all stories have a bit of wish-fulfillment into them. I personally like it better when the main character has a distinct personality and are their own flawed person, but I also project myself in them a little so when they make really stupid decisions or something I don't like, I feel a bit bumped. When that happens, though, I disengage myself from them and see them as a completely different person and everything's fine, as long as I still enjoy the story, obviously. Part of the enjoyment for me is analizing the personalities of the characters as well as their intentions, MC included. Besides, it's a little difficult to project myself into male MCs, being a woman and all, so when it comes to shows or books with male MCs I always think of them in terms of someone I would like to befriend if I met them in real life.

And now you made me want to write that reversed-harem wish-fulfillment story... ugh. One day I will. One day...
Then, you’re gonna be called a perverted XXX at the start of the story! 😂
Though, I don’t see that happening, since men’s and women’s role are different, especially in Japan, if you know what I mean~

And you and I have the same school of thought! So that’s something…

I also completely understand what you mean when you said you can’t project yourself into the male lead. Sometime, I watch a shoujo anime and end up projecting myself as the female protagonist’s love interest, instead. But if it’s a reverse-harem, I don’t like it at all for obvious reason. 😆

Also, do your best with your new project! Thanks me later~ 😎
whatever story able to make me realize my dreams in real life, is the ultimate one.

if there's more than one, i pick the one with best effect.

for now, i just want something that involves traveling to many kinds of fantasy + sci-fi places. learning about their architecture, history, food, and culture.

i want to learn many kinds of magic and cultivation techniques to spice of my life, explore lots of alien technologies. i'm curious about their entertainment as well, especially their video games.

i also create and customize my own world and build my dream house and many kinds of stuff with its own laws that i can alter based on mood.

but yea the most important thing is being safe for the entire time. myself and everyone i care about.

being a futa loli and be with my girlfriends is optional, despite my username. but yea, it's welcome.
You sound like someone who would enjoy Minecraft. I know, I do too! Or should I say, I did? Haven’t played for a long time, you see.

And I think your story’s world-building will be extremely awesome, if you end up writing what you just talked about. Can’t wait to see it!

Also… You are a man of culture, heh~? 😏

A.P.R.L.

Then, you’re gonna be called a perverted XXX at the start of the story! 😂
Though, I don’t see that happening, since men’s and women’s role are different, especially in Japan, if you know what I mean~

And you and I have the same school of thought! So that’s something…

I also completely understand what you mean when you said you can’t project yourself into the male lead. Sometime, I watch a shoujo anime and end up projecting myself as the female protagonist’s love interest, instead. But if it’s a reverse-harem, I don’t like it at all for obvious reason. 😆

Also, do your best with your new project! Thanks me later~ 😎
Everything can happen in fiction, especially wish-fulfillment fiction. Besides, polyandry it's a thing in the real world, too. Not as common as one man with many wives, but it still happens.

Haaa, when it comes to "normal" harem, I admit many times I have reversed the genders of the characters in my mind in order to fit my tastes 🙈

I also don't like the usual reversed-harem, because the MCs there tend to be even more insipid and have even less personality than male harem MCs. Plus, they never end with all their suitors. That's why I've been wanting to write a reversed-harem for quite some time. Something that feels like a regular harem but... reversed 🤣

Last edited:

BlackKnightX

Everything can happen in fiction, especially wish-fulfillment fiction. Besides, polyandry it's a thing in the real world, too. Not as common as one man with many wives, but it still happens.
You misunderstood me. When I said, men and women have different role, I meant that I can’t imagine Issei getting beaten up if he becomes a woman. You know, the world in Japanese fiction is unfair to men, it’s ridiculous! 😂

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Personally, mine would be where I just suddenly wake up after a night of sleep, on another world. This world would be technologically similar to the early 1900s....think (1900-1912). I also would have where it would never advance much beyond that...no modern world for me thanks. I'll take my backwards barbarity anyday. This world would be four or five times the size of Earth, with only 4 continents, 3 of them being giant continents about the same size as 6 or 7 Asia's put together, and the 4th and final continent being the smallest at about the same size as Europe and Australia put together. There would be various islands and island chains outside of the 4 continents but I would just have them randomized since I don't much care where they are, what they look like, and so on. This world would be a world where Mages make up about 5% of the human population, which would be around 30-40 billion people...or whatever, and well, Mages would be considered the nobility of the world.

I would wake up on a train somewhere in the world and would be the strongest Mage that lived or would ever live. I would be immortal, giving me an eternity to explore the world or whatever I wanted. Also, when I woke up, I would already instantly/instinctively have complete control/knowledge of my Magic meaning no training or practice necessary. Reflexes already honed. I would basically be a one-man-army/country-destroyer if I wished, and the only Mage in existence capable of such a thing. I would have an indestructible/invincible body to accompany my magic being far greater than anyone else's ever would be.

Also, my appearance and whatnot would change every 100 years to something I picked or created to avoid me being outed as the only immortal, though I would be able to delay it indefinitely if I wished. There's more details but eh....not important for here anyway.

Also, quite a few people not answering the question and instead....just talking about wish fulfilment as a genre and/or arguing about it having valid reasons to be scorned as a genre.....

It's like so many didn't actually read the title of the post.

Last edited:

A.P.R.L.

You misunderstood me. When I said, men and women have different role, I meant that I can’t imagine Issei getting beaten up if he becomes a woman. You know, the world in Japanese fiction is unfair to men, it’s ridiculous! 😂
Ahhh, so that's what you meant. My mistake, haha. Well, that definitely would have to be changed. And you're right! That double standard always bothered me. It's supposed to be funny but personally I never laughed at it...

Ok, I laughed at it in MM!, but that's because the MC enjoyed it. It was all consensual! (?)

BlackKnightX

Personally, mind would be where I just suddenly wake up after a night of sleep, on another world. This world would be technologically similar to the early 1900s....think (1900-1912). I also would have where it would never advance much beyond that...or at least the internet would never be invented. This world would be four or five times the size of Earth, with only 4 continents, 3 of them being giant continents about the same size as 6 or 7 Asia's put together, and the 4th and final continent being the smallest at about the same size as Europe and Australia put together. There would be various islands and island chains outside of the 4 continents but I would just have them randomized since I don't much care where they are, what they look like, and so on. This world would be a world where Mages make up about 5% of the human population, which would be around 30-40 billion people...or whatever, and well, Mages would be considered the nobility of the world.

I would wake up on a train somewhere in the world and would be the strongest Mage that lived or would ever live. I would be immortal, giving me an eternity to explore the world or whatever I wanted. Also, when I woke up, I would already instantly/instinctively have complete control/knowledge of my Magic meaning no training or practice necessary. Reflexes already honed. I would basically be a one-man-army/country-destroyer if I wished, and the only Mage in existence capable of such a thing. I would have an indestructible/invincible body to accompany my magic being far greater than anyone else's ever would be.

Also, my appearance and whatnot would change every 100 years to something I picked or created to avoid me being outed as the only immortal, though I would be able to delay it indefinitely if I wished. There's more details but eh....not important for here anyway.

Also, quite a few people not answering the question and instead....just talking about wish fulfilment as a genre and/or arguing about it having valid reasons to be scorned as a genre.....

It's like so many didn't actually read the title of the post.
Woah, that was very detailed! I feel like I wanna read this already. You have a nice taste, man~ I approve! 😆
Ahhh, so that's what you meant. My mistake, haha. Well, that definitely would have to be changed. And you're right! That double standard always bothered me. It's supposed to be funny but personally I never laughed at it...

Ok, I laughed at it in MM!, but that's because the MC enjoyed it. It was all consensual! (?)
Yeah, right. As soon as mc gives his consent, I’m out. 😂