What Makes You Qualify As An Editor

• Thread starter Deleted member 22388
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22388

Idk much about an editor nor will I research much about it.

But am I qualified to become a noob* editor if...
-I point out 'the the' situation all the time since I can see THAT and no one seems to care much.
-Tell the author of the wrong pronounciasion but its actually pronounciation*... .
-Able to edit the work to make it hardly understandable.

So uh (read title)
Give meh the informashi-on.

"Ready the sleeping dust"
'Ok, my friend'
"Is it done?"
'Later, after I sleep'
Dead stare* "I hate this world"

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

-I point out 'the the' situation all the time since I can see THAT and no one seems to care much.
-Tell the author of the wrong pronounciasion but its actually pronounciation*... .

So uh (read title)

'Ok, my friend'
"Is it done?"
'Later, after I sleep'

Ehm, what is that? :blob_evil_two:

well to qualify as a newbie editor
I think you need to have
Good grammar
know dialogue format and punctuation
check the sentence flow
a vast word arsenal: there are some really unique words which fit the situation perfectly (if the writer has missed it
you should know about a little about writing as well( editing isn't just about fiding grammar mistakes,
overall anything the writer has missed

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
Dark humor.

Most volunteers do it to get early access. They use a spell checker and they think they are done. Proud of having finished quickly, they proceed to corrupt the author/translator by having A/PR or TL/ED chats in the middle of the text. Some or maybe just a few of the less discerning find those entertaining.

Being a native speaker helps, really helps promulgate homophonic errors.

Why use two sentences when you can indiscriminately glue them together with semicolons?

Critically end tag questions with periods.

Use a thesaurus instead of noting word nuances.

Do not distinguish between past and past participle verb forms regarding present perfect tense. It is a thing of the past anyway. Readers will not notice or will forget even if they do.

"I know, right?"

"No, you don't."

THE END, my only friend, the end

D

Deleted member 22388

well to qualify as a newbie editor
I think you need to have
Good grammar
know dialogue format and punctuation
check the sentence flow
a vast word arsenal: there are some really unique words which fit the situation perfectly (if the writer has missed it
you should know about a little about writing as well( editing isn't just about fiding grammar mistakes,
overall anything the writer has missed
Nods a 100 times. Thegyu(thx)

Dark humor.

Most volunteers do it to get early access. They use a spell checker and they think they are done. Proud of having finished quickly, they proceed to corrupt the author/translator by having A/PR or TL/ED chats in the middle of the text. Some or maybe just a few of the less discerning find those entertaining.

Being a native speaker helps, really helps promulgate homophonic errors.

Why use two sentences when you can indiscriminately glue them together with semicolons?

Critically end tag questions with periods.

Use a thesaurus instead of noting word nuances.

Do not distinguish between past and past participle verb forms regarding present perfect tense. It is a thing of the past anyway. Readers will not notice or will forget even if they do.

"I know, right?"

"No, you don't."

THE END, my only friend, the end
Proceeds to insert many questionable links onto the translated novel. I wonder where such thing goes to... could be just me drinking my macha latte in the sunny beach.

Cough* what am I talking about... atleast you help me hmmm... level up my trollness?
Haa.... increased understanding*. I see then.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
What made me qualified to become an editor was getting an A in my required University Writing Program (UWP) course. I initially started university wanting to become an environmental lawyer, but after that class, the professor took me aside and told me that I had earned the only A he gave out all year and that I could have a letter of recommendation whenever I wanted it.

After I graduated, I'd had enough school and just wanted to work for a while. However, the economy wasn't doing so well, and a BS wasn't enough for most jobs in my field of study. I spent some time trying to write for a living, but ghostwriting advertisements left me feeling very stressed and unfulfilled. That's when I got serious about looking for editing jobs.

No, I'm not going to tell you what press I work for unless I'm completely blown away by your writing. I've rejected thousands of manuscripts, and we still have a backlog of submissions.
No, I'm not going to edit your work for free, but some of my Patreon tiers offer limited editing services as a reward.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Having a good grasp of the English language is all you need to try it, I think.
What made me qualified to become an editor was getting an A in my required University Writing Program (UWP) course. I initially started university wanting to become an environmental lawyer, but after that class, the professor took me aside and told me that I had earned the only A he gave out all year and that I could have a letter of recommendation whenever I wanted it.
I guess Alice was correct to SOME degree

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I guess Alice was correct to SOME degree
Well, OP was asking about being an amateur editor, probably to offer work on Fiverr or something.

If you wanna get into a proper company like Raki-chan did, then you gotta get more than just a good grasp of English! XD

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Well, OP was asking about being an amateur editor, probably to offer work on Fiverr or something.

If you wanna get into a proper company like Raki-chan did, then you gotta get more than just a good grasp of English! XD
ahem ahem

I READ HARRY POTTER

*collective gasp*

WITHOUT A DICTIONARY

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I'm sorry I woke up from a very late afternoon nap and just winged it

holy fuck club my shins that was so bad, worse in retrospect

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠

So uh (read title)

'Ok, my friend'
"Is it done?"
'Later, after I sleep'
A good common in English - grammar, fluctuations, sentence flow, tenses.... and a bit of passion. Oh, another one. Must have a lot of experience reading various writings either a novel or other types of literature.

D

Deleted member 22388

A good common in English - grammar, fluctuations, sentence flow, tenses.... and a bit of passion. Oh, another one. Must have a lot of experience reading various writings either a novel or other types of literature.
Good, good, goooood....
Good answer.

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
There are several different types of editors and depending on what a writer needs the type of editor will change.
However, no matter the editor type, they generally need good grammar and complete fluency.

Editor Types That I Know About

Quick Opinion: Developmental Editors and Line Editors are the most important.

Developmental Editing
These editors focus on plot, story structure, characters, pacing, presentation, world-building, target audience, theme, character-building, setting, timeline, etc. They check the flow of your story and readability for consistency. Do your chapters start and end at appropriate places? Does the story have clear and good pacing/flow as it is told? They are focused with the core of your story and will thoroughly examine the content of your story. Expect developmental editors to ask you many critical questions that force you to justify major decisions you've made in your story. Here's some examples,

"Can you explain this plot hole?"
"Why does character X perform this action in scene *blank*? It goes against their personality type and their motivation is unclear to the reader."
"There is an inconsistency. In chapter ___ you stated that magic works this way, but in chapter ___ your character breaks the rule that you set and there was no justification or you outright contradicted yourself."
"Your major character's development throughout the story is poorly paced and in the end they wind up like *blank*. Is this your intention for this character?"
"Is this character/scene/location/detail necessary for the story and world-building or is it useless fluff that disinterests your readers?"

Good developmental editors make you question why you're even writing your story. A good developmental editor would make you feel like complete shit. "Uhhh, I'm so stupid, why am I even writing my story. This person should just write my story for me!"

Line Editing
They focus on sentence structure, grammar, and word choice/usage. Unlike developmental editors, they are not concerned about the big picture of your story. They mostly focus on paragraphs and sentences in limited context. They will point out sentences and word choices that don't make sense or are hard to understand, often they give writers corrected sentences or ask authors to rewrite confusing text. They will bust your ass with proper grammar when you make mistakes. Tone of your writing, style choice, flow from one paragraph to the next.

Copy Editors
These guys come after developmental editors and line editors. At this point you are finished writing the story and are making no changes to the plot or chapters or scenes. These people are hardcore grammar editors. Typos, spelling mistakes, language, syntax, and all grammar are corrected by them.

Proofreaders
Your book is being published. It's already been designed and is in the final stages. A proofreader will check for any last typos, cut-off text, problems with page layout, problems with word usage/meaning/consistency that simple proofreading programs might miss.

Sensitivity/Context Editors
Sensitivity readers/editors check to make sure your material isn't racist, offensive, sexist, illegal, inappropriate for your target audience, etc. These kinds of editors also check for context, historical fact accuracy, and technical fact accuracy (the professional kind at least, not the touchy feely emotion kind). They might inform you that you made mistakes in quoting historical facts or that you made technical mistakes when talking about science, engineering, etc.