What narration styles did you experiment with?

theenngee

I am always thinking about the different styles I could potentially write in. Usually I prefer unreliable narrators, even in third person, but this still laves much room for variations.
Sometimes I try to emulate other styles like journals and travel letters. I also often used antiquated language and syntax on purpose to evoce the feel of the times I am imiating in my fantasy works.
Now I am thinking of writing witha very modern language and in directly addressing the readers frequently. Does anyone have any experience with something like that? What did you write or read in this style and did it work? What other styles did you use or experiment with?

MyukiMruieast

Departure of Motivation led me to want water
I used to write in unreliable narrator type but I was beginning to be influenced by cn novels where it began to become more formal.

IDKWtWrite-San

Projecting 'Unreliable Narrator' Tag
Inexperienced one I am when making my 1st but as I see some novels here and translated novel on NUpdates, I began to change my grammar and word pool making my chapters a little bit better than before

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
3rd person past omniscient, 3rd person past limited, 3rd person present

1st person past and present limited.
Diary style

Agentt

Thighs
I would love to write unreliable narration someday, but i can't make it happen, it doesn't feel alright with me.

Same with 3rd pov, it feels very restrictive to me, despite it being the one known as "omnipotent omnipresent god view", but i feel it very apathetic.

I also write very slow paced novels, and would like to write a fast paced one which isn't cringe

IdleYoungMaster

I write using the Formal type. I didn't like the 4th wall breaker type. It breaks the immersion of the novel, at least for me.

Still, I try my best to show the characters' colors so that my 3rd POV narration wouldn't feel that bland.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I've experimented with 1st and 3rd person and have to say that I enjoy 1st person the best. However, it really depends on the person.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
I am better at third person, but like first person more. It feels more immersive.

I am always thinking about the different styles I could potentially write in. Usually I prefer unreliable narrators, even in third person, but this still laves much room for variations.
Sometimes I try to emulate other styles like journals and travel letters. I also often used antiquated language and syntax on purpose to evoce the feel of the times I am imiating in my fantasy works.
Now I am thinking of writing witha very modern language and in directly addressing the readers frequently. Does anyone have any experience with something like that? What did you write or read in this style and did it work? What other styles did you use or experiment with?
The first time I got chills was doing something like you described -- writing in a very 'talk to the readers directly' style of narration. In first person POV, it was the closest I have come to feeling more like an actor than a writer, giving a grand speech to an auditorium. It suits particularly theatrical characters -- pompous fancy boys and monologuing baddies.

I would love to write unreliable narration someday, but i can't make it happen, it doesn't feel alright with me.

Same with 3rd pov, it feels very restrictive to me, despite it being the one known as "omnipotent omnipresent god view", but i feel it very apathetic.

I also write very slow paced novels, and would like to write a fast paced one which isn't cringe
For me, good unreliable narration isn't an 'all or nothing' thing. Regular people don't always see ourselves the way others see us, so we are often our own unreliable narrators. A good stepping stone for you could be to insert a little bit of that into a character? Not making it a full on 'mega twist' unreliable narrator, where the whole story has been a lie, but having a character who doesn't seen the world accurately in one particular aspect (like their appearance, or how smart or popular they are) and giving fun little hints that the audience sees, but the main character doesn't.

Agentt

Thighs
For me, good unreliable narration isn't an 'all or nothing' thing. Regular people don't always see ourselves the way others see us, so we are often our own unreliable narrators. A good stepping stone for you could be to insert a little bit of that into a character? Not making it a full on 'mega twist' unreliable narrator, where the whole story has been a lie, but having a character who doesn't seen the world accurately in one particular aspect (like their appearance, or how smart or popular they are) and giving fun little hints that the audience sees, but the main character doesn'
Yes actually, that's what i do, but I have yet to successfully accomplish that in 3rd pov

Yes actually, that's what i do, but I have yet to successfully accomplish that in 3rd pov
That would be harder, true. 🤔

When I have done it, I take an easy shortcut and have multi 3rd person POV, so you can directly compare how two people experienced something in real time.