What's up with this BL author's rumors about being convicted?

Queenfisher

Bird?
I don't know Chinese but the news about Mo Xiang Tong Xiu's (the popular author of Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation for those who don't know) old rumors about being arrested resurfaced. I have no idea what's going on but the Weibo is supposedly very agitated about this?

In short, she was rumored to be have been detained for publishing and distributing illegal materials containing BL in her home province. For two last years, these rumors came and went, worsened by the fact that she disappeared from the internet (though she was very active before that).

Now her home province seems to have banned her two popular BL books (Scum Villain and Grandmaster) for "threatening the social norms of minors"? This is just a bit... frustrating, to say the least :blob_no:.

Note: a similar case of several years ago ended up with the BL author being imprisoned for 10 years for the same offense. :blob_teary:

Does anybody know what's going on with that? :blob_frown: I can't find anything factual but I am worried...

TLCsDestiny

Scary...
Sorry I don't know anything.
Books are books, why should someone be imprisoned for 10 years? A whole province banned books?

I have grown to realize that what we see and what is real are most likely two different things. Someone being imprisoned for a book, it could be as stupid as jealousy...Being banned, well that could be because the book felt real to someone and didn't want their life to stand out? lol could be heaps of things but what sucks is that these people that have their book banned have to live with it, innocent or not. The strangest thing might happen here though...Through time, these two authors may be known more now, simply because their books got banned or because they went to jail...It's one way to be recognized I guess...

Davidmcnasty

Not sure about that author in particular but I remember another female author who wrote BL novels got a 10 year sentence in 2018. So the concern is valid.

Queenfisher

Bird?
Not sure about that author in particular but I remember another female author who wrote BL novels got a 10 year sentence in 2018. So the concern is valid.

I think this case in particular was about "publishing physical copies and distributing them (selling them) to minors" which is an actual offense. So it wasn't as though she was arrested specifically for writing BL. Just for breaking the law on a separate occasion.

(I.e. you're fine as long as you don't make physical copies of such books or something, because these psychical copies of published material is subject to much stricter censorship laws, I guess).

But it is concerning that such an offense garners you a frigging 10 years of prison... :blob_frown:

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Well, considering China is much more conservative, censor-friendly, and still practices communism, though not a traditional sort of communism like what the Soviets practiced, (today's Chinese communism is like a warped/morphed version of Mao Zedong's initial rather harsh approach somehow coupled with a bastardized version of Capitalism/Consumerism/and a sort of limited brand of free-trade though this "free-trade" is only acceptabe within their own borders and large swathes of Southeast Asia since India pretty much makes a concentrated effort to ward them off moving further west with varying results depending on who you ask), are you surprised or something?

Last edited:

Queenfisher

Bird?
Well, considering China is much more conservative, censor-friendly, and still practices communism, though not a traditional sort of communism like what the Soviets practiced, (today's Chinese communism is like a warped/morphed version of Mao Zedong's initial rather harsh approach somehow coupled with a bastardized version of Capitalism/Consumerism/and a sort of limited brand of free-trade though this is only within their borders and perhaps large swathes of Southeast Asia), are you surprised or something?

Not surprised, just wanting some factual evidence of what's going on because ~supposedly, someone published an official court recount on 10th Nov that she was actually convicted.

(The previous rumor stated that she was detained on 28th Mar).

It's exacerbated by the fact that she writes under a pseudonym, so the person actually convicted is someone named "Yuan Yimei" though many claim that she is the same person as Mo Xiang Tong Xiu. (Her novels are registered under Yuan Yimei, though).

But the issue is -- all this news is so damn scattered and clouded in obscurity, it's impossible to find out if it's true or not! There are her fans who yell at others that they're lying trying to put her down while anti-fans gloat that she was arrested, etc.

I just want to find the truth, sigh. And unfortunately I cannot read Chinese to research myself... So I ask if anyone else knows something...

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
This is China. People disappearing is fairly normal. Professors authors, models, critics, billionaires. They all just disappear, never to be seen again, only to land in a beautiful labour camp.

Jemini

Scary...
Sorry I don't know anything.
Books are books, why should someone be imprisoned for 10 years? A whole province banned books?

I have grown to realize that what we see and what is real are most likely two different things. Someone being imprisoned for a book, it could be as stupid as jealousy...Being banned, well that could be because the book felt real to someone and didn't want their life to stand out? lol could be heaps of things but what sucks is that these people that have their book banned have to live with it, innocent or not. The strangest thing might happen here though...Through time, these two authors may be known more now, simply because their books got banned or because they went to jail...It's one way to be recognized I guess...

Spoken like a true first-worlder.

Not everyone thinks like North America and Europe on social issues. There are still countries in the world where being gay is a criminal offence. Really, North America and Europe are the two most progressive places in the world on these issues. Expect to see stuff like this anywhere outside of those regions, and much much worse along with it.

(Seriously, China has and is still doing much much worse than this. It is no joke and I'm not being hyperbolic when I say they are the Nazis of the 21st century. This lady is honestly lucky she hasn't been shipped off to the same camps they put the Weiger Muslims and Falun-gang practitioners in. On that one note, I suppose they've progressed a little past the Nazis. They only send gay people to prison instead of the death camps. Or, I don't know, maybe they do. This lady wasn't demonstrated to actually be gay after all. Just a writer of BL novels.)

TLCsDestiny

Spoken like a true first-worlder.

Not everyone thinks like North America and Europe on social issues. There are still countries in the world where being gay is a criminal offence. Really, North America and Europe are the two most progressive places in the world on these issues. Expect to see stuff like this anywhere outside of those regions, and much much worse along with it.

(Seriously, China has and is still doing much much worse than this. It is no joke and I'm not being hyperbolic when I say they are the Nazis of the 21st century. This lady is honestly lucky she hasn't been shipped off to the same camps they put the Weiger Muslims and Falun-gang practitioners in. On that one note, I suppose they've progressed a little past the Nazis. They only send gay people to prison instead of the death camps. Or, I don't know, maybe they do. This lady wasn't demonstrated to actually be gay after all. Just a writer of BL novels.)

I suppose you're right. I should know by now that there are many places that aren't like mine or thoughts that are totally the opposite.

Last edited:

Jemini

I suppose you're right. I should know by now that there are many places that aren't like mine or thoughts that are totally the opposite. (I'm actually just opened minded...)

Oh don't be pacified by my words. Rather, I think this lady being imprisoned over this ought to be a wake-up call to any proper progressively minded person about how horrific a country China is.

Normally, the worst anyone who lives outside of China will have to deal with is Webnovel plagiarizing us. Actual Chinese writers though have to deal with censorship and potentially even much worse though. They're actually risking imprisonment, as we are seeing here.

tigerine

But the issue is -- all this news is so damn scattered and clouded in obscurity, it's impossible to find out if it's true or not! There are her fans who yell at others that they're lying trying to put her down while anti-fans gloat that she was arrested, etc.

I just want to find the truth, sigh. And unfortunately I cannot read Chinese to research myself... So I ask if anyone else knows something...

Most netizens in China commented that 10 years was harsh for the crime she allegedly committed, with the understanding being that this sentence was especially punitive because it was gay content.

Women's media in China is not taken seriously (much like chick lit and romance novels in the United States). Because it is not taken seriously, it was not policed seriously for a long time. Queer lit like danmei sheltered under the "oh this is only silliness for women, pay it no mind" umbrella for a long time. Because it was not policed seriously, users took more 'risks' with material, including publishing below-the-neck ""romantic entanglements"" for both het and queer content, which was otherwise not allowed. This kind of approach was fairly effectively brought to an end with the raids on jjwxc in 2014. Another raid occurred in 2019, which brought the entire enterprise under audit by the Party. Any media containing adult material (het or queer) was locked until it was censored by the author, and jjwxc auditors had to approve any changed content before it would be unlocked again. Many danmei authors locked or deleted their novels to avoid prosecution for the unsavory association with queer content. (There was also an exodus to AO3 that began in 2014 for Chinese authors looking to publish without censorship, but with the nationwide ban on AO3 earlier this year, AO3 is now outside the Great Firewall and no longer an option unless you have a VPN.)

Since then, ever-more-strict rules about content and censorship are being brought to bear on women's media in China, danmei included. This is part of a general increase in targeted censorship by the Chinese government, which wants to make sure that the views, wishes, dreams, and stories of marginalized people are not heard by the masses in a form that the Party hasn't anointed.

tl,dr; Whoever the BL author is, she is being made an example of. The use of rumor is purposeful. The lack of clarity is purposeful. Anyone thinking of producing a story that might not be part of the party line is supposed to think twice.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
If she were really in jail, why would they still broadcast Heaven's official blessing? It just started airing on the 30th Oct.

It's Asia. If someone were to break the law and even get jailed for 10 years, then they would boycott all her works. I googled and there is a huge thread on reddit about mxtx (although it's old, it just shows how old the rumors are).

And I believe that everything can be solved with money. All her works got a donghua and a manhua. I doubt they would detain a money tree. Just like Fan Bingbing who took a 2-year hiatus after her tax evasion scandal until things died down. She paid a huge fine (millions) and is back to TV shows since May.

take my comment with a grain of salt as I don't know much eiter

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
If she were really in jail, why would they still broadcast Heaven's official blessing? It just started airing on the 30th Oct.

It's Asia. If someone were to break the law and even get jailed for 10 years, then they would boycott all her works. I googled and there is a huge thread on reddit about mxtx (although it's old, it just shows how old the rumors are).

And I believe that everything can be solved with money. All her works got a donghua and a manhua. I doubt they would detain a money tree. Just like Fan Bingbing who took a 2-year hiatus after her tax evasion scandal until things died down. She paid a huge fine (millions) and is back to TV shows since May.

Money solves everything? That's not just Asia. That's everywhere and it's just as true in the West as in the East. I have literally watched court case conclusions reverse completely in their decision because a dude had his lawyer "take the judge out to lunch" a few days before the verdicts were read out. And this was a fairly high profile case, not some local small-time county-class bullshit. This was federal. Money might not bring happiness, (which I call bullshit on because it can and does, just perhaps not for everyone), but it sure as hell makes that sadness a whole lot easier to manage.

Jemini

A little tangential, but I also want to point this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System

@Jemini You said that China is better than the Nazis lately, but I think programs like this marks their work as better, in the sense that they are achieving their goals much better than the Nazis ever did.
When I said "better," I meant that more rhetorically than anything. It was meant to outline that homosexuality was one of the other things Nazis targeted in Germany, and is often overlooked. The Jews were the largest social group targeted, and thus they are the ones that got the most attention. However, there were actually quite a few other groups targeted as well.

For instance, "Aspbergers syndrome," a term given to people who are on the higher functioning end of the autism spectrum, was a condition entirely made up by a German psychologist during the Nazi regime. The reason this guy made up this condition was in order to draw a distinction between higher and lower functioning autistic people in order to convince Hitler not to just send everyone with an autism diagnosis to the death camps. The guy was using his field to save lives by the margins by working from the inside of the machine.

So, yeah. I know a fair amount about what went on with the Nazis, which is why I'm able to recognize the same exact things going on in China under the CCP right now. And, no, the CCP is actually one-upping the Nazis in how horrible they are on almost every conceivable level. To the Nazis, the death camps were a place to exterminate people. To the CCP, their death camps are a business. Instead of gas chambers, they have live organ harvests. They kill these people and then sell their organs for money. The US actually had to place an embargo on medically related trips to China in order to fight back against this practice.

Queenfisher

Bird?

Now this is actually fascinating. (Also thanks for giving your take!).

The thing about MXTX's last work, Heaven Official's Blessing -- is that it's the only of her books that is not claimed to be banned in her province. The other two were, but this one was spared.

I haven't actually read this one yet (the length is just O_O) -- but correct me if I'm wrong: it does not contain explicit material unlike the other two? NU shows that it's Shounen Ai while the other two are Yaoi, so I assume I'm correct.

Also, "cancelling" the author or her explicit books is one thing. While milking her creations for profit is another. Like you said -- she is a money-tree, or at least her properties are. Which is partly the reason why the rumors are only that -- the rumors. She probably does have issues with the government but not to such a severe extent as actually being imprisoned (yet, at least).

So, with MXTX's works, what happens is probably this (?):

Her books are blocked because they're 'dangerous for social norms of minors".

Any properties made based on her books are fine because they transform the material so much it removes all the "dangerous social norms" from the original. And nobody minds them because they also happen to be major cash cows for the industry.

Untamed, Scum Villain animation, MDZS donghua, and Heaven Official's (and a shitton of other products based on them :blob_dizzy:) are all officially bromance. Not BL. More than that -- they are products very popular in the west specifically, so why not use it exactly for pandering to that audience? It's a brand product, a kind of a cultural export, and earns them a lot of money. The original (or what happens to it) does not matter at this point.

It reminds me a bit of the concept of Chinese celebrities signing contracts for "couple sugar" as a way to fame.

In short, some celebrities engage in promotional scripted activities that are essentially romantic performance of their real life interactions. In case the two celebrities are the same sex, it's queerbait for the audience. The M/M couple sugar is especially effective in the target demographic demands and brings a lot of money and attention to them. Thus, in Chinese entertainment industry:

Fetishizing gay people to get money/fame like in a zoo = hell yeah!

Supporting or recognizing actual gay people or promoting their stories = who? where? whut?

So I see no real contradiction between persecuting an author and milking the popular products founded on her IPs for monetary gain.

-----------------------------

Separately, coming from Russia (hello, art censorship history!), I can say that a lot of the stuff popular in the West was popular in Soviets, too. But in an adapted form that adhered to the censorship and social norms appreciated by the USSR government.

So while the actual western IPs were panned and called "bourgeois" and "decadent", their adapted versions were very much admired. I see a sort of a similar treatment of BL novels in Chinese entertainment industry...

There are so many of new BL series being produced right now, but all of them under the label of "bromance". And some fans are actually scared because a few of them might be "straightened out" to get through the censorship at all.

iamaducklingwriter

I don't know Chinese but the news about Mo Xiang Tong Xiu's (the popular author of Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation for those who don't know) old rumors about being arrested resurfaced. I have no idea what's going on but the Weibo is supposedly very agitated about this?

In short, she was rumored to be have been detained for publishing and distributing illegal materials containing BL in her home province. For two last years, these rumors came and went, worsened by the fact that she disappeared from the internet (though she was very active before that).

Now her home province seems to have banned her two popular BL books (Scum Villain and Grandmaster) for "threatening the social norms of minors"? This is just a bit... frustrating, to say the least :blob_no:.

Note: a similar case of several years ago ended up with the BL author being imprisoned for 10 years for the same offense. :blob_teary:

Does anybody know what's going on with that? :blob_frown: I can't find anything factual but I am worried...
It really is scary. Even if we see a lot of good BL novels, it goes through a scary process called censorship and lowering down scenes into an ambiguous, not bl yet bl scenarios. I remember an issue related to that when a bl reader's mother saw the BL cover of two men/or the story, I forgot, and then made trouble for that story. Anyways, BL writers in such country are really brave. Salute.