What's wrong with the writing style and integrity of the Chinese and Japanese authors nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Hello I’m mentally retarded.

I love one sentence paragraphs. Why you ask?

I work 10-11hrs on 6 days a week. My entire holidays for the past 8years are approximately 1 month plus 5 days National holidays every year.

I’m mentally exhausted yet that is normal for most jobs in Asian countries. 60-70hrs work a week is quite normal and expected.

In comparison it’s more common to work 40hrs-50hrs a week in western countries.

The mental capacity that is available after work is just not the same. I do not want a wall of text. it’s already hard with Latin letters, but hanzi? Kanji? 🙃

Hell no.

Last edited:

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!

I work 10-11hrs on 6 days a week. My entire holidays for the past 8years are approximately 1 month plus 5 days National holidays every year.

I’m mentally exhausted yet that is normal for most jobs Asian countries. 60-70hrs work a week is quite normal and expected.

The mental capacity that is available after work is just not the same. I do not want a wall of text. it’s already hard with Latin letters, but hanzi? Kanji? 🙃

Hell no.
A fellow mentally retarded! It's nice to see someone like myself.

HungrySheep

I like yuri
Here is a quote from a random novel of a random Chinese author:

Why do they write "one paragraph - one sentence"? Moreover, they write as short, as possible sentences, often abruptly and arbitrary teared in two, they even write sentences from one word. Why?

In my opinion, if a novel is written "one paragraph - one sentence", it means it is written for m*ntally r*tarded persons, or by a m*ntally r*tarded person, or both variants. Disgusting.
Because Chinese is a bulky language when written, making it easier to read when each sentence is separated into its own line.

This is also why translated novels end up being written like this.

The worst part isn't the translation, though.

It's when domestic writers copy the style because of the translated novel's success, not knowing that the translation only employs the style due to stylistic integrity.

Furthermore, Chinese novels (in print) are generally read from right to left and from the top down.

As far as I am aware, this is congruent with Japanese light novels, and though the style has been changing recently due to the rise of webnovels, it has remained largely the same.

This means that each sentence must fit into the height of a single page while still retaining readability despite certain characteristics of some Chinese characters like "暴击" which is common in settings involving game worlds.

Now imagine reading an entire BLOCK of text with characters like that.

It would not be enjoyable to the reader, especially if the print required a smaller size.

Does that make sense?

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Because Chinese is a bulky language when written, making it easier to read when each sentence is separated into its own line.

This is also why translated novels end up being written like this.

The worst part isn't the translation, though.

It's when domestic writers copy the style because of the translated novel's success, not knowing that the translation only employs the style due to stylistic integrity.

Furthermore, Chinese novels (in print) are generally read from right to left and from the top down.

As far as I am aware, this is congruent with Japanese light novels, and though the style has been changing recently due to the rise of webnovels, it has remained largely the same.

This means that each sentence must fit into the height of a single page while still retaining readability despite certain characteristics of some Chinese characters like "暴击" which is common in settings involving game worlds.

Now imagine reading an entire BLOCK of text with characters like that.

It would not be enjoyable to the reader, especially if the print required a smaller size.

Does that make sense?
I see what you did there.

:sweating_profusely:
The more op talks, the more incoherent they become.. if only I am smarter... if feel so dumb... I cri

I eat candle

Redadam04

【Human Savant of True Almighty God】
Here is a quote from a random novel of a random Chinese author:

Why do they write "one paragraph - one sentence"? Moreover, they write as short, as possible sentences, often abruptly and arbitrary teared in two, they even write sentences from one word. Why?

In my opinion, if a novel is written "one paragraph - one sentence", it means it is written for m*ntally r*tarded persons, or by a m*ntally r*tarded person, or both variants. Disgusting.
Is this translated version?

tiaf

I understood that it's useless to argue, the don't even understand what is the problem. You cannot close the yawning chasm of absent school education in an internet discussion.
You accuse jpn and cn authors of writing bad.

But my question: what qualifications do YOU have to judge? Are you a native chinese speaker?

If yes, why the hell are you whining to English speakers about a language they don't know?

If no, are you practicing to open a one-man-circus????

Last edited:

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe

But my question: what qualifications do YOU have to judge? Are you a native chinese speaker?

If yes, why the hell are you whining to English speakers about a language they don't know?

If no, are you prcticing to open a one-man-circus????
I would have nothing against him whining, if only he had a constructive criticism to offer. But the way he does, I do find it... deplorable to say the least.

But please, continue, ignore me while I search for worms to eat.

Azure_Fog

More stabby, more happy~
Oh boy does this look like a total cesspool. Well… I’ma just throw in my two cents. First, if you don’t like it, leave. Nobody’s stopping you. Second, you don’t have to agree with the style. It’s a pretty standard style for webnovels from what I’ve read. Either way, stop complaining about the writing style being informal — This isn’t a published book.

Also maybe try to be less aggressive. If you want to have a logical discussion about something, hurling insults is not the way to do it.

Grimanddark

I’m mentally exhausted yet that is normal for most jobs in Asian countries. 60-70hrs work a week is quite normal and expected.

Hell no.
Four pages of fiery butthurts and at last the first and only honest and relevant answer without appellations to the ancient literature, cultural traditions, language structures and other pathetic excuses, to cover shame (why?). I really appreciate your approach and thank you for insight in the motivation of the one sentence one paragraph readers, it was helpful.

D

Deleted member 133647

What even is this thread lmao.
Four pages of fiery butthurts and at last the first and only honest and relevant answer without appellations to the ancient literature, cultural traditions, language structures and other pathetic excuses, to cover shame (why?). I really appreciate your approach and thank you for insight in the motivation of the one sentence one paragraph readers, it was helpful.
I like cuz its usually the harem novels that have this style in experience. So my brain associates it with that

SailusGebel

Where is my free education?

OOPs posts are to poorly translated into English, and the pacing of the thread is all over the place.

Cliche and uninventive. Have already seen too many threads with the "entitled young master troll", and the writing is too poorly done.

Author should go back to thread writing school and do more papers, and learn to write better posts.

I am dropping this thread.

1/5 star.

Will not read again. Will not recommend.

Thumbs down.

Last edited:

tiaf

Umm, the language arguments are correct though?

Webnovels are for fast and scrolling consumption so that format you wish for just doesn’t work for it. It also looks extremely ugly on phone to have a wall of text like classic literature. (Which are vertical and not horizontal like webnovels)

Also I wonder how you cannot think of those things yourself. Try writing a novel and you will see that spacing helps in the writing process, and is a stylistic device unique to online publishing since no space restrictions compared to printing.

It may even buffers off some of the minimum word count that contracted qidian authors have to submit every single day.

This thread is the same as asking why authors repeat the same info dump in every single chapter.

Conclusion: it is as it is and if you don’t like then don’t read. No need to be a troll and shit on people just because you don’t like whatever they do in the way they do.

What even is this thread lmao.

I like cuz its usually the harem novels that have this style in experience. So my brain associates it with that
You-! Absolute brilliant analysis!!!
This feels like the dead brain comment section of harem stories on webnovel.

Which brings me back to my question:

Status
Not open for further replies.