Why do you think JP novel authors always write inconsistent beta-characters? Especially fantasies

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
You know Jp novels always got a massive advantage when it comes to novels.... Yet despite that. despite the always NEW and INTERESTING PREMISE, COLORFUL ART, MASSIVE AUDIENCE.... These goddamnnnn for 🦆 sake authors Always try'na made the MC a LITERALLLLL BETA MC. Name it- Op but ignorant, Illogical harem, Hypocritical Mc, Brain ded, Always bow to literal anyone, Spineless, World with no common sense, A Denser than the black hole MC
( like for example, on a certain novel that i forgot, There's that 6 years old mc with harem, member of the harem are similar age of his, Then erotic scene...bruh, author is clearly a pedophile bastard)

Wut else....?..... Hmmmm
Ah yes, Slave to girls, Deux ex machina, Dick-less bs, jiggling loli, So kind~ so ducking KIND, As always... The MC Is always average. Specially the face.... Meh

I have read lot of novels, at one time I've come to love them. But as i experienced reading a novel with full-proof plot and interaction, i had realize how brain ded the Average Jp novel is

You know i would rather read a Chinese face slapping novel than those dick-less kind mc. -atleast i can experienced the taste of the villain drinking it's own medicine than The MC who just forgive The VILLAIN.

So guys. Why do you think they still continued to write a novel thats clearly inconsistent and illogical novel in the first place? -despite it's interesting premise?

Is it becuz they target the market of Kids? If so, can they atleast made them readable for older audience?

What do you guys think?
They should atleast knew the Obvious Plot hole yes?
They should atleast knew how illogical the world and character yes?

LMFAO
Japan has always had an obsession with formality, politeness, and conforming to your surroundings hence the cookie-cutter main characters and seeming spinelessness. As for the pedo shit, it goes without saying Japan and other Asian cultures have a strong obsession with youthfulness, especially in women, just look how much schoolgirls are fetishized in their culture.

As for the harem, basic bitch FantasyMcMagicland, and other tropes, it is about money. That template makes money, why be original when you can get rich writing the same stuff everyone else does. Same reason these types of stories are basically a bunch of poorly structured arcs that could lead to new things in the 'plot', to continue the story and make money.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Choose your tags and genres more carefully 😇

WanderingSwordNuub

Japanese people are repressed af. When they write something,it becomes twisted wish fulfillment for a reason.
Anything in a story written on syosetsu or kakuyomi emanate the same sense of tone.

Even the basic principles of morality is bent and twisted for the readers. It comes off as an attempt to look nice but you don't put in the effort to actually BE nice. it's too much effort to abolish slavery in a fantasy world or even maybe acknowledge the complexity of a fantasy society,instead just write a scene where MC(self-insert) effortlessly saves a slave girl and gets praised as a ''nice guy'' while having all other characters suck em off.The inconsistency comes from the sheer hypocrisy of indulging in wish fulfillment while still attempting to portray themselves as ''good people'' to satiate their desires and ego simultaneously.

But god forbid,they made something even more generic than isekai , they made the Zamaaa genre. Zamaa,if I am correct seems to be a mocking phrase ''serves ya right''. You get the general gist,MC gets betrayed,awakens new power, takes revenge/makes a new life as their former family/friends/companions fall to ruin. To the shock of noone , these novels also have a ''nice guy'' protagonist while their inserts for the reader's
real life bullies are inserted into the traitorous companions that fall.

One thing that I do agree with in this thread is that chad/alpha characters are boring. They come from the same desires that birth ''nice guys''
,hence they never have flaws and they never need to change as the story never portrays them with any flaws or the author constantly creates scenarios in which those flaws never come into play meaningfully.

A lot has been said about the quality of these JP novels and their MCs but I'd like to hammer a nail in the coffin. I believe that there is a feedback loop involving media all over the world. It's the constant reliance on making money back as a business through enfranchised fan bases.
I mean,why bother trying hard at all ;if you know even the bare minimum will make money back or profit? When novels are published into light novels,manga, and then anime in that order,teenagers will see that media and copy it in hopes of the same popularity/success without ever realizing what's wrong with the way the tropes are used. There's also the problem that anyone mature who writes these novels don't give a damn about quality.Just look at Tsukiyo Rui(author of redo of the healing magician).

It's just that,in the west, people on these sites like RR or scribblehub are aware enough that only years of practice will take them to publication as the minimum requirement.

I would like to go on a tangent about movie adaptions and even the epic games store exclusivity non-sense that happened few years back buuutttt let's can that for another day.

Took me 20+ mins to write this,Was it worth it? Nope.

Edit:Also had to trim this down while writing. Also,also is that the author of core .001????

Aw,hell, why did I even write this when I could link this person's blog about an anime that echoes the same thing :https://geekorner.wordpress.com/201...r-at-magic-high-school-an-ode-to-meritocracy/

Last edited:

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
i think in certain genres the 'beta MC' trope is still flooding but in more general overall LN levels, i think the amount of beta MCs has actually gone down over time

Discere

You know Jp novels always got a massive advantage when it comes to novels.... Yet despite that. despite the always NEW and INTERESTING PREMISE, COLORFUL ART, MASSIVE AUDIENCE.... These goddamnnnn for 🦆 sake authors Always try'na made the MC a LITERALLLLL BETA MC. Name it- Op but ignorant, Illogical harem, Hypocritical Mc, Brain ded, Always bow to literal anyone, Spineless, World with no common sense, A Denser than the black hole MC
( like for example, on a certain novel that i forgot, There's that 6 years old mc with harem, member of the harem are similar age of his, Then erotic scene...bruh, author is clearly a pedophile bastard)

Wut else....?..... Hmmmm
Ah yes, Slave to girls, Deux ex machina, Dick-less bs, jiggling loli, So kind~ so ducking KIND, As always... The MC Is always average. Specially the face.... Meh

I have read lot of novels, at one time I've come to love them. But as i experienced reading a novel with full-proof plot and interaction, i had realize how brain ded the Average Jp novel is

You know i would rather read a Chinese face slapping novel than those dick-less kind mc. -atleast i can experienced the taste of the villain drinking it's own medicine than The MC who just forgive The VILLAIN.

So guys. Why do you think they still continued to write a novel thats clearly inconsistent and illogical novel in the first place? -despite it's interesting premise?

Is it becuz they target the market of Kids? If so, can they atleast made them readable for older audience?

What do you guys think?
They should atleast knew the Obvious Plot hole yes?
They should atleast knew how illogical the world and character yes?

LMFAO
If I'm being honest, I've asked myself this question so many times and came up with no good answer. Now don't get me wrong I've read a few novels that break the mold and by God were they satisfying to read. The problem here is that whenever the situations come up where the mold is broken it's usually done by an MC that has had their mind broken by undergoing severe psychological damage due to prolonged torture or something along those lines. So I don't know why jp culture would feel that the only way that they are able to create an alpha MC who knows what needs to be done and gets it done is someone that has mental issues. As far as dense MCS go I can't tell you how much of those I've seen in Chinese cultivation novels. Really I'm truly it's gotten so bad that I took to writing another myself that is satirical in nature. I literally yeeted upon myself the massive undertaking of writing a full-blown novel that is currently in serialization simply to show just how much Chinese cultivation novels, which I love by the way, is so eye bleedingly, mind numbingly annoying at times

Agentt

Thighs
no, lets not use escapism as an excuse for shitty writing.
It's not an excuse for shitty writing, it's an excuse for marvelous sales for such shitty writings. These low effort isekai earn way more than they deserve.

It's like Tom Howard releasing Skyrim every few years. No one likes that. Everyone knows it's a cash grab. Everyone hates it, but he keeps releasing it because people keep buying it for some reason.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
What about the constant, trying to bang 12-15 year olds?
At this point, I don't see 12-15 year olds in JP novels as teens anymore. They describe them as jovial adolescents in text but then you check out the illustrations and they're banging college aged chicks with enough tits to breast feed half of Africa out of terminal hunger.

I guess I'm different in the sense where if there is an official illustration provided, I tend to use said illustration as an image for the character instead of the description in text.

Actually, with the way JP authors describe teens, I'd rather just go with personal interpretations.

Though with some mangas like Dragon Maid; yeah, I can't psyop a way around that.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
It's not an excuse for shitty writing, it's an excuse for marvelous sales for such shitty writings. These low effort isekai earn way more than they deserve.

It's like Tom Howard releasing Skyrim every few years. No one likes that. Everyone knows it's a cash grab. Everyone hates it, but he keeps releasing it because people keep buying it for some reason.
look, i cant defend fucktards. I just know non-fucktards arent doing that shit.

KittraMcBriar

Might I suggest omegaverse fiction? Lots of alphas and hardly ever any betas. Of course, that’s basically werewolf smut which is the only context beyond college fraternities in which “alpha, beta, omega” anything has any true meaning or relevance

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I think you are projecting your values onto another culture.

I run into this alot. People basically freaking out about Japanese writing and going, "Oh they are a bunch of sexist, racist, bigots, and blah blah blah. Or, maybe they don't think like you and have different values. Maybe YOUR values aren't better. Lets take a look at oh... i dunno... any metric of the quality of life YOU CAN IMAGINE.

America beats Japan in Military spending and How many people we have in jail.

Annnnnnnddd.... that's about it.

SO... Glass house... stones... what shouldn't we do with these?