Why is 2D better than 3D?

minacia

perpetually sour
So I often hear from people that 2D waifu/husbandos are better than 3D ones.

:blob_hide::blob_hide::blob_hide::blob_hide:

Pardon me, but... can I ask why?

What is it exactly about a 2D waifu/husband that makes them better 3D?

Like, let's get into specifics! Is it the personality? The appearance? Everything???

Let's start with a cliche hypothetical trashy shounen manga plot:

Once upon a time there was a person named Otaku-kun who is a hikikomori who doesn't go outside. He always insists that 2D is better than 3D, and furthermore always refuses to talk to women. However, for various nonsensical plot reasons, Otaku-kun is actually a bishie and simply naturally attractive even though apparently he's too oblivious to realize it. Furthermore, his personality is pretty nice.
Anyhow, Otaku-kun has a childhood friend named Osana-chan who has always liked Otaku-kun but... she can't get Otaku-kun to notice her, because his attention is always buried in 2D things. It's very hard for Osana-chan to get in touch with Otaku-kun because he is constantly friend-zoning her and making up excuses why they can't meet.
Most of the time, Otaku-kun is literally locked up inside of his apartment and refuses to go outside or answer the door. In fact, sometimes Osana-chan will go buy groceries and run IRL errands for Otaku-kun. He actually works as a pro-streamer and makes all of his money by streaming whatever it is he streams (games? music? art? maybe he's a male vtuber? maybe he's a professional webnovel writer? manga artist??? make your pick), and actually he has a really impressive income. Furthermore, he's definitely famous online.
Osana-chan is generally only able to communicate to Otaku-kun through messaging apps like discord. Osana-chan knows from being on the same discord servers as Otaku-kun that he's actually very lewd (at least in terms of the things that he posts on NSFW channels), except she has never seen Otaku-kun express any interest in 3D NSFW things.
She isn't sure how to get his attention........

Suppose you are Osana-chan's friend. What advice do you have for her?

EternalSunset0

I have zero clue when it comes to romance, so I can't help her. I do feel sorry for her given the situation though, but as someone who has no interest in dating whatsoever, I don't actually know what I will do if I put myself in the shoes of Otaku-kun. I mean, I'll feel bad for her and maybe try to set aside time to hang out a bit if she gets tired of just talking online, but that's the extend I can go I guess.

As for the 2D over 3D thing, I think it's mostly a joke but if I were to explain it from a personal perspective, it's more of the lines of actual people being unpredictable.

With waifus/husbandos, you just ogle at them, draw/look at their lewds, write about them, collect their pictures, listen to them in their shows, etc. And no one bats an eye... except maybe your parents, friends, or the rest of the normie crowd.

With an actual person, it's so easy to mess up, say something wrong, etc. to ruin the whole thing.

Actual people also have agency. You wouldn't be worried about your waifu growing jealous of other waifus, right? Or worry about your waifu just throwing away your figures or your video games over a bitch fit.

xluferx

Dunno man 2d is da best but with all vtubers popping up and Melody at the top 3d seems tempting

OkuraTsukiko

[Peace was never an option]
Bold of you to assume that I love 2d husbandos more than 3d ones. I love each of them despite their dimensions, especially since my newest husbandos came from Genshin Impact and others. But I have to admit, there are just certain charms that only 2d characters have.

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
This is a case of Osana-Chan’s (wink wink) poor evaluation of herself. She needs to move on. Osana-Chan has either valued herself so low that she thinks she needs to beg for Hikkomori-kun’s affection, or, she has valued herself too high, believing she is the only one capable of turning him from 2-D girls.

Either way, if a relationship did occur, it would always be one-sided and will not work in the end or produce anything worthwhile. Move on Osana-Chan. There are plenty of others out there that will fit you better, or at the very least give you a better chance/be more fun to be with (even if it’s only temporary).

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
So I often hear from people that 2D waifu/husbandos are better than 3D ones.

:blob_hide::blob_hide::blob_hide::blob_hide:

Pardon me, but... can I ask why?

What is it exactly about a 2D waifu/husband that makes them better 3D?

Like, let's get into specifics! Is it the personality? The appearance? Everything???

Let's start with a cliche hypothetical trashy shounen manga plot:

Once upon a time there was a person named Otaku-kun who is a hikikomori who doesn't go outside. He always insists that 2D is better than 3D, and furthermore always refuses to talk to women. However, for various nonsensical plot reasons, Otaku-kun is actually a bishie and simply naturally attractive even though apparently he's too oblivious to realize it. Furthermore, his personality is pretty nice.
Anyhow, Otaku-kun has a childhood friend named Osana-chan who has always liked Otaku-kun but... she can't get Otaku-kun to notice her, because his attention is always buried in 2D things. It's very hard for Osana-chan to get in touch with Otaku-kun because he is constantly friend-zoning her and making up excuses why they can't meet.
Most of the time, Otaku-kun is literally locked up inside of his apartment and refuses to go outside or answer the door. In fact, sometimes Osana-chan will go buy groceries and run IRL errands for Otaku-kun. He actually works as a pro-streamer and makes all of his money by streaming whatever it is he streams (games? music? art? maybe he's a male vtuber? maybe he's a professional webnovel writer? manga artist??? make your pick), and actually he has a really impressive income. Furthermore, he's definitely famous online.
Osana-chan is generally only able to communicate to Otaku-kun through messaging apps like discord. Osana-chan knows from being on the same discord servers as Otaku-kun that he's actually very lewd (at least in terms of the things that he posts on NSFW channels), except she has never seen Otaku-kun express any interest in 3D NSFW things.
She isn't sure how to get his attention........

Suppose you are Osana-chan's friend. What advice do you have for her?
You are going down the same path that took the creator of Me! Me! Me! aren't you?

Well long story short, expectations. Expectations of one's partner versus expectations of the partner to oneself.

Let's be real, we all have the fictitious love interest who not only looks like our ideal lover, but agrees with our strength and flaws. For most otaku, they min-max in their strength and flaws and will not fit well in the eyes of any RL partners.

And even if they do, they will have to deal with the changes of everyday and others' expectations.

But 2Ds? They have neither a conscious nor freewill, so ultimately, people's imaginations run wild.

minacia

perpetually sour
This is a case of Osana-Chan’s (wink wink) poor evaluation of herself. She needs to move on. Osana-Chan has either valued herself so low that she thinks she needs to beg for Hikkomori-kun’s affection, or, she has valued herself too high, believing she is the only one capable of turning him from 2-D girls.

Either way, if a relationship did occur, it would always be one-sided and will not work in the end or produce anything worthwhile. Move on Osana-Chan. There are plenty of others out there that will fit you better, or at the very least give you a better chance/be more fun to be with (even if it’s only temporary).
:blob_upset: But Osana-chan would definitely reply that Otaku-kun needs her! Who's going to get groceries for him if she jumps ship??

Furthermore, Osana-chan would insist that she's happy to be friends!

Like friendship is also beautiful! :blob_aww:

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
It's because for many people, 3D is not accessible while 2D is
You know how expensive the upkeep is for 3D waifus/husbandos? 2D is so much more wallet friendly (and then I look at how much I whaled for gachas... But still less than 3D)

minacia

perpetually sour
It's because for many people, 3D is not accessible while 2D is
You know how expensive the upkeep is for 3D waifus/husbandos? 2D is so much more wallet friendly (and then I look at how much I whaled for gachas... But still less than 3D)
Some people are low maintenance though...! Probably!

Well, at least I think the upkeep is mostly time/energy. :sweating_profusely:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Some people are low maintenance though...! Probably!

Well, at least I think the upkeep is mostly time/energy. :sweating_profusely:
I can assure you that the answer for low maintenance is false. Ffs mine is abusive, time wasting and enjoys spending more than she can earn, which results in my savings hitting red every month.

Did I ever mention how much I hate holidays?! Especially Xmas?!?

minacia

perpetually sour
As for the 2D over 3D thing, I think it's mostly a joke but if I were to explain it from a personal perspective, it's more of the lines of actual people being unpredictable.

With waifus/husbandos, you just ogle at them, draw/look at their lewds, write about them, collect their pictures, listen to them in their shows, etc. And no one bats an eye... except maybe your parents, friends, or the rest of the normie crowd.

With an actual person, it's so easy to mess up, say something wrong, etc. to ruin the whole thing.

Actual people also have agency. You wouldn't be worried about your waifu growing jealous of other waifus, right? Or worry about your waifu just throwing away your figures or your video games over a bitch fit.
Couldn't you also argue that the unpredictability of a 3D person is exactly what makes them lovable?

Like you can never expect what's going to come out of their mouth, so every day is like an adventure! :blob_paint:

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
:blob_upset: But Osana-chan would definitely reply that Otaku-kun needs her! Who's going to get groceries for him if she jumps ship??

Furthermore, Osana-chan would insist that she's happy to be friends!

Like friendship is also beautiful! :blob_aww:
Aren’t you, excuse me, isn’t she just a delivery girl then? I order food, sometimes women deliver. And if friendship is ok, then you, I mean, she can just text him/play games online with him. They have lockdowns now anyways.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Couldn't you also argue that the unpredictability of a 3D person is exactly what makes them lovable?

Like you can never expect what's going to come out of their mouth, so every day is like an adventure! :blob_paint:
No.

minacia

perpetually sour
Aren’t you, excuse me, isn’t she just a delivery girl then?
That's so saaaad :blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary: Don't crush Osana-chan's dreams! :blob_hmph:

I can assure you that the answer for low maintenance is false. Ffs mine is abusive, time wasting and enjoys spending more than she can earn, which results in my savings hitting red every month.

Did I ever mention how much I hate holidays?! Especially Xmas?!?
:sweating_profusely: I wonder how often it is that people are financially dependent on their significant others.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
*faraway, dreamy look*
Vaccine . . .
*sighs*

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
That's so saaaad :blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary: Don't crush Osana-chan's dreams! :blob_hmph:

My apologies, that was too harsh Osana. I really think Osana should find someone who fits her better. 2D-Kun is happy to be with 2D waifus. Which is fine. He may not want to deal with the issues 3D relationships bring. Real relationships are stressful at times, and most end in heartbreak. He may not want to deal with the drama. For him, the cons of a relationship outweigh the pro’s. He might also be saving up for when robot waifus become viable. For the time being he has a hand.

Osana wants a relationship that can never truly work out with 2D-Kun. He has apps for delivery, he doesn’t need her, and she doesn’t need him.

OkuraTsukiko

[Peace was never an option]
Details! Details! I want to hear!

For example, in anime, there are just these gestures that would likely make the characters seemingly more approachable. Take Bungou Stray Dogs for an example, Kunikida Doppo is one of those people who is strict and stoic. He would literally obliterate Dasai when he can if that partner of his starts to stir up trouble. He wouldn't like to show any light-hearted emotions and can be pretty serious at all times. But when you look at his gestures with him scolding or punishing Dazai. Instead of scary, it can be seen as funny and a reoccurrence as this happens a LOT. But on the other side, he's one pretty tactical member of the ADA.

Another example, Gojo Satoru from Jujutsu Kaisen. From what I can see, he could be pretty playful and likes to joke most of the time. His humor just hits me in the right spot. On how he communicates with his "students" and co-workers to the point where his bad-ass sides show. He's one of the most powerful characters in the anime yet he has a humorous side that makes us more attracted to him. Inclusing those eyes of his... *nosebleeds*